• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More Contractor Ettiquette

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well I have had to stand by my own words in the last week. Some of you may know I recently took two weeks for holidays. I had one job left to finish when I left. It was a parapet wall, no big deal..everything already in place...I even laid the first of six courses before I left so my guys couldn't screw anything up:Banghead :Banghead

Well I came back and the client is not happy...we ran the big level up the wall and its way out by my standards. The client has been good but is very particular. I had a good think about it as if the work was done at my place and I was paying the bill. So I offered him the wall for free (about $3K) or we would tear it down and do it again. He sat on it for a couple of days and decided he'd like it done again (I knew he would).

We knocked it over today and will put up a new one next week. It will cost me close to $2K all up. I don't get steamed about it because its the right thing to do. I have spoke to the guys involved in the construction and gleamed that everybody was in a hurry on Friday...etc etc BS in other words.

So; Two Things:

1) If you want a job done properly you may have to do it yourself:Banghead

2) If you put "Do IT Once - Do IT Well" on your flash new business cards you might just have to fall on your sword at the end of the day.:yup

This is the first actual job I have ever had to go back and do again that was actually my fault....well my responsibility.

Jeff D.

I imagine that could be pretty upsetting.

It sounds like you've offered, and done everything a customer could hope for in a situation like that. He certainly can't complain about that.

What you should do now is when you're rebuilding the wall, build it the same amount "off", but in the opposite direction. Then when the customer complains again just throw your hands in the air and scream "There's just no pleasing you is there!!":wink2

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Don't find many contractors like you Squizzy, but that’s the way I was taught. My dad even suggested I work for free for 2 days to fix my one and only Friday rush jobs that wasn't up to par.:thumbsup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I imagine that could be pretty upsetting.

It is, but no point ranting and raving about it...just get on and do whats right.

It sounds like you've offered, and done everything a customer could hope for in a situation like that. He certainly can't complain about that.

Well he better friggin not!

What you should do now is when you're rebuilding the wall, build it the same amount "off", but in the opposite direction. Then when the customer complains again just throw your hands in the air and scream "There's just no pleasing you is there!!":wink2

ROFLMAO:bouncegri

Don't find many contractors like you Squizzy, but that’s the way I was taught. My dad even suggested I work for free for 2 days to fix my one and only Friday rush jobs that wasn't up to par.

As a kid a belt round the ears was followed by "If you going to do it...do it properly or don't do it at all"....Sounds like we could be related...So did your Dad ever come to Australia:dizzy :rolleyes: :D

LaLaMan

You mean to tell me, that your guys can't read a level?

Last edited:

jmac

Squizzy, hat's off for making it rite. Lesser of a buisness man would of walked away, but you didn't that proves that you are a smart buisness owner. Hey its your name on that wall and doing it right will make you more money than you would of saved if you walked away. Not that I can say anything that you didn't already know. :notworthy

Now lets go back to busting Jeff's balls.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
You mean to tell me, that your guys can't read a level?

You could be onto something there:rolleyes: :spaz ..but this is a natural stone wall..not manufactured block. You use a level some but its up to the stonemason to select his stone and work the wall according to the site and the material...Once I have my base course in I barely use a level because with natural stone its not going to tell you much is it?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Squizzy, hat's off for making it rite. Lesser of a buisness man would of walked away, but you didn't that proves that you are a smart buisness owner. Hey its your name on that wall and doing it right will make you more money than you would of saved if you walked away. Not that I can say anything that you didn't already know. :notworthy

Now lets go back to busting Jeff's balls.

I appreciate the comments....especially since I found out today this site will be featured in a couple of the glossy "Home & Garden" mags when its done.

I don't like to pick on Jeff too much....well:yup ..but please remember he's a sensitive soul..lives all alone...only his ex-girlfriend out stalking him...and any way...He will shortly have a new Shotgun so you'll have to call him Mister or Sir.:bouncegri :lmao ..at any rate he'll come run over all your grade pegs if your not careful:rolleyes: :bouncegri

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
I don't like to pick on Jeff too much....well:yup ..but please remember he's a sensitive soul..lives all alone...only his ex-girlfriend out stalking him...
Thanks for reminding me. I sure wouldn't want to forget about any of that stuff.:rolleyes:
Squizzy246 said:
Please Lord don't let them publish the "Lonley Friday"...I'll be good from now on..I wont make broom jokes about the missus...send horrible emails to digger...post useless non-earthmoving stuff ...or say horrible things about Jeff D.....
What ever hapened too this?? A lightning bolt will come down and strike you if you're not careful.:bouncegri

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Thanks for reminding me. I sure wouldn't want to forget about any of that stuff.:rolleyes:

:bouncegri

What ever hapened too this?? A lightning bolt will come down and strike you if you're not careful.:bouncegri

Dam I hate it when your own words come back to haunt you!..:pointhead

I sure wouldn't want you to forget I said that:cool:

I think His Diggerness is working on a way to send a lightening bolt through my keyboard:bash