• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Micro motor grader (not mini...)

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
It looks like a fun project. One thing you may want to think about-and I don't know how important this will be- whenever you alter the wheelbase on a vehicle (excluding track type, unicycle, or pogo stick) you will be changing the steering geometry. We don't know how well it was designed or manufactured on your original riding mower, but in theory, in turns, all tires should circle around a common point. If they do, your steering tires will not be fighting with each other, turns will be made tighter, and tires will scuff less. Even with your articulation, think about the geometry. It may or may not be worth the trouble, but this is how the big companies do it, and this is how I would do it, too. If you search Ackerman steering geometry, also called toe out in turns, you will find lots of useful information on this subject. I've had experience with altered wheelbase trucks used for short hauls, with lots of turning, and they seem to develop some strange wear patterns compared to unaltered similar wheelbased trucks doing the same work. Best of luck with your project.

smoothoperator...didn't write the book, but I have read a few

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
We have this TV show here in Canada called Prairie Farm Report. its all about farming inovations and inventions, and how they do other things to supplement life on the farm. A few years ago they had a retired who made a grader just like you are, and if I remember right, it had all the functions except wheel lean that a larger machine has.
I do remember it had a ripper as well.

I have looked through all the videos that they have for sale, and although there is a lot of really cool inventions, I cant find any mention of it. I will keep looking and try to find more information

mrmomo

We don't know how well it was designed or manufactured on your original riding mower..... If you search Ackerman steering geometry, also called toe out in turns, you will find lots of useful information on this subject.

Yup & Yup... Steering on the mower is very tight... it was designed to be able to turn very sharp! I believe it is ackerman steering, the inside wheel turns sharper than the outside wheel. Somewhat familliar with that - understand the concept. I don't think there would be much I could do to improve the steering radius, I know it's not going to be as good as the mower was, but I hope it's better than my crew cab long box. (61' turning radius!) I have not modified the steering on the axle, but I will have to modify how it was connected to the steering wheel.... need some flex in there!

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
i get it here in calgary sunday mornings on a CTV, but it could be on hgtv. should git it a watch some time. the farm inventions and shops are interesting, but in not a big fan of the livestock stuff.

mrmomo

Nope, sorry guys no movement lately- lost it's spot in the garage for a bit. Have collected a few nice bits of steel that will come in useful later in the build... Stay tuned- more to come but in time!!