• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Micro motor grader (not mini...)

mrmomo

Ok, so for quite a few years I have wanted to make a micro grader. The intended use would be that of a grader of course, however, the reason for the micro is multi-part.

Grading two track roads (cottage roads with grass in the middle). I want to be able to grade one track at a time, without disturbing the center grass.

I have envisioned hacking apart an old riding mower that I have. Moving the engine behind the drive wheels and making a whole new front end for it. (it's an old 13HP craftsman (I think!).

Currently for the road I use a tow behind blade grader that I made. It has a very narrow blade (somewhere between 18" and 24") and I tow it behind my ATV. My dad stands on the grader frame to steer it and for downforce weight. It works really well, but I want to go to the next step and make something that can be run by one person. There are other problems with the tow behind, like turning around, and there is very little blade adjustment (3 set positions)

So... My thoughts at this point;

Please excuse my lack of proper knowledge of the correct terms - I'm new to graders!

-Start with the mower as a base, reconfigure the important bits

-Weld up a fwd frame

-use a 2" hitch ball as the attachment point for the blade rig. I would like to be able to have a few different attachments, and I figure a hitch ball makes a nice quick release, though I would have to make quite a few moldboards...

-I'd like to keep many of the linkages mechanical, but if something proves that it would be much better off hydraulic, I would run a power steering pump off the 2nd pulley on the crank (where the mower deck used to get power)

My questions?;

How important is the ability to have the wheels lean? I could do it on the front, but it would be impossible on the back.

Is a 2" hitch ball a bad idea? I figure it will be able to swing to one side or the other (controlled) as well as pivot side to side (controlled). Should be strong enough! This would also allow for me to use any of the attachments behind my ATV if so desired. (not controlled!)

I have most of the stuff to make this, so it shouldn't cost much (until I get into the hydraulics!)

Am I crazy?

Has anyone done this, or seen it done already?

All input is welcome!!

Thanks!

mrmomo

Oh, by the way... I don't mean just making a moldboard that fits where the mower deck was... I am going to stretch out the wheelbase, and make it look like a grader (except for the dual rear wheels)

mrmomo

Ok, had to play in google sketchup...

Didn't draw the whole thing myself, infact, I stole most of it from other models (started with a lawn mower, and a grader) Just made the bits between (the front frame and the engine box)

Attachments

• Mower_grader.jpg
    Mower_grader.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 6,389
  • Mower_grader2.jpg
    Mower_grader2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5,651

lars

How about putting bigger tires on the back, keeping the motor on the front and stretching the frame to put the blade under the motor. I am thinking of something like the old Farmall or AC patrol graders or more recently a Huber.

Clawed Backster

Neat idea. I have been thinking about the same type of thing for a while. I have about 1/2 mile of driveway to maintain, and as much as I would like a real grader, I just can't afford one. I have a wheel dozer which makes it nice and smooth, but it pushes the loose rock out toward the ditches. I need a small machine with an angled blade to bring the loose stuff back to the center.

mrmomo

How about putting bigger tires on the back, keeping the motor on the front and stretching the frame to put the blade under the motor. I am thinking of something like the old Farmall or AC patrol graders or more recently a Huber.

Interesting idea - I've seen the old farmall type. My thoughts were to keep as much weight over the rear wheels as possible - I think traction will be my biggest problem. I will add a few cinder-blocks at the frotn axle. Moving the motor behind the operator position would also narrow up the body in the front, allowing a better view of the blade.

Clawed Backster; I really think this could be simple cheap and easy to build. In fact - I can't stop thinking about doing it - so I'm just going to start! The nice thing about working with steel - you can always cut it apart and change it later!!

I'll keep this thread updated with pics of the build, and of course, questions!

stock

I think weight may be a problem,just thinking about a 1.5ton mini excavator and how little they can push and they use a track.....

mrmomo

Stock - based on past experience, I don't think weight will be a problem with the really narrow blade. Remember, it's only going to be a few feet wide, and only needs to go down maybe an inch? The set up that we have been using has only the weight of my dad, and it cuts the gravel really well. The "FrankenGrader" (must be something to do with haloween) is going to weigh much more!

(De)Construction has started - I'll post some pictures later!

mrmomo

FrankenGrader

Well, it's started. Not sure how it will work, but I'm going to find out!

Still lots more work to get done on it, a lot of re-enforcing and I have to connect all the controls back up (modify the clutch, figure out the steering, make controls for the articulation...) then still have to make all the parts to get the moldboard under there!!

Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• 15434_1259620257518_1440003436_30749811_3034575_n.jpg
    15434_1259620257518_1440003436_30749811_3034575_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 3,445
  • 15434_1259620457523_1440003436_30749815_3595717_n.jpg
    15434_1259620457523_1440003436_30749815_3595717_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,443
  • 15434_1259620577526_1440003436_30749818_939035_n.jpg
    15434_1259620577526_1440003436_30749818_939035_n.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,998

Grader4me

Well, you have my attention now. Honestly at first, I thought you were crazier than hell to attempt to convert a lawn mower into a grader, but now I'm not so sure. Good luck with your project and keep those pics rolling in.

Last edited:

Clawed Backster

There might be a small market for just such a machine. Would probably work well for prepping to pour a sidewalk, and other very small jobs. keep us up to date on your progress.

roddyo

Well, you have my attention now. Honestly at first, I thought you were crazier than hell to attempt to convert a lawn mower into a grader, but now I'm not so sure. Good luck with your project and keep those pics rolling in.

+1

It's official. You now have fans.

Is there anyway we as a group can keep up with your progress on Twitter?:D

mrmomo

Thanks guys - I'll definitely keep you posted!!

Unfortunately, I'm away for the rest of the week so all I can do is think about how I'm going to do the next bits...

I'm thinking foot pedals would be the best for articulation - push left to go left, push right to go right. Linked up with bell cranks and ridged rods. Similar to a tail wheel on a taildragger airplane.

I have a set of hydraulic cylinders and two 12V trim pumps for the moldboard tilt/lift/lower. I'm sure they are beefy enough to be up to the task! If they do prove strong enough, I could also get a set for the articulation (1 trim pump, two cylinders hooked up opposite)

For rotating the moldboard I'll probably go with a manual system, pull a pin, lower one side with the hydraulics and drive forward - that would swing that side of the blade back. Not sure if I will be able to make the blade swing 360 for back dragging... but it would be neat! Other method for rotation would be with cord, similar to how steering used to be hooked up on Outboard motors. (cable wound around a drum, routed through pulleys for a pull/pull system) Might even be able to find an old cable steering system from a boat for the steering. (could flex with the articulation)

The steering is definitely going to be the hardest part!! it's a long way up there and I have to deal with the articulation. If I can't get a marine cable steering system easily, I might have to set something up with a u-joint and bellcranks to get around all the corners!!

Stay tuned - I'll update with pics when I can!

mrmomo

Has anyone ever seen a Saukville Tractor. It looks a lot like your micro grader. www.saukvilletractor.com

Anyways, your idea looks like a good one. Keep up the good work!

That's gotta be about the closest I've seen!! (no blade though!)

Can't wait to get this thing all done up & painted yellow!!

If only I had a couple grand floating around to go all hydraulic controls!