• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Labparamour

It's great seeing all the old rigs posted here.
I also appreciate what previous generations did...as I'm rolling across country with a 2018 Freightliner w 12 spd auto, GPS, A/C, cellphone (although I like the 2001 KW W900 w Cat and 18 spd at my other job better).
Have a good weekend guys!
Darryl

Truck Shop

That Green and Black Pete at the top was on display a few years ago at the local Peterbilt dealer... That is one nice resto job. I like the extended cab cowl to give it the extended hood look.

The owners name is Dave Autumn - old friend of G. Rominger. Autumn was a hay hauler for years. He bought the parts to extend it from Stan's Repair in Cle Elum plus
when I showed him pics of my old 66 he really started to talk. He always wanted a Pete like Amil Pasco's-said he started wanting one the first time he saw Amil's in 67.

Truck Shop

Delmer

While I'm not an 'old trucker' I do love this thread and y'all sharing your memories. Neat stuff.

View attachment 173177 Stumbled on something on Craig's list worth sharing.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/first-2800-takes-it-1961/6308190848.html

Haha, I beat you to it back in post #174, or

https://wausau.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1961-diamond-semi-very/6270504537.html

00m0m_86BDs4DWeM5_600x450.jpg

Detroit Diesel straight six, and it's cheaper in Michigan...

Truck Shop

That looks like a 921 model, even though it's a little rough it looks very complete. Any Diamond T is a rare find these days.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

This one is for sale in case someone has a fire to put out. Nice/cool looking old 49 IH.

Truck Shop

00J0J_fRzR8HMFhUX_1200x900.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I seen this one the other day in a little town in Wisconsin. Next time I'm over that way I'm going to stop and check it out closer. 4 wheel drive to boot. Something about old log trucks. I like all styles and sizes. Must be a disease.20170920_130326.jpg

hvy 1ton

That is a mean looking REO. I "need" a 4wd fire truck for prescribed burns. I'm currently gathering the parts for a type 7-ish skid for a utv.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
This one is for sale in case someone has a fire to put out. Nice/cool looking old 49 IH.

Truck Shop

View attachment 173811
I love those old K series trucks, grew up in a whole herd of them. Granddad had everything from a light fuel rig with 5 lug budds up to a big tandem that pulled the lowboy for a while then graduated to water truck duty when the '52 Peterbilt took over.
I'm not sure, but I think the tandem had a 6602 Continental engine... Repower? Sorry I have no pics from the 60's.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most of the old Internationals had Red Diamond engines, became the International line as they bought Red Diamond out. Thus the RD engine series as was explained to me decades ago.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sweetest sounding old truck, old Fire Truck engine I ever worked on was a LaFrance Lycoming patent and pattern V12 gas. The Lycoming Aircraft base design was water cooled where it as a redesign worked well for hard demand short use fire engines. Damn thing purred as a kitten and could swap across the dual distributors at the dash switch with no stutter. Was a 1951 Ladder truck with a rear steer cab!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Most of the old Internationals had Red Diamond engines, became the International line as they bought Red Diamond out. Thus the RD engine series as was explained to me decades ago.
Well I got bored today and did a bit of research, the KB-12 and KB-14 models were available with Continental 6586 engines, 587 cubes giving 200HP at 2600 RPM. Two cylinder heads and tall rocker covers. I have worked with RD 450 and 501 engines in the past and do remember that truck not having the shallow one piece rocker cover. But at the age of 9 or 10 I was just shadowing my Uncle that seemed to do all the truck work at that time. He did have a military maintenance background and it's entirely possible he did swap a 6602 in there for the 20 extra horses.
This was all in the late 60's, I remember 1/4 turn valves in the cab to supply trailer air, a huge Johnson bar park brake (no maxis), I think the truck had a 5x3 trans and the interlock was a lever between your heels, pretty crude by todays standards.
It seemed like the gooseneck on the old peerless 3 axle lowboy was nearly as tall as the cab on the old KB.

Truck Shop

On Aug 20th the day before the eclipse I was setting on my patio and heard the unmistakable pitch of a V12 Rolls. It was a P38 Lightening followed by a P51. They banked
around to the run way to pickup two more a F4U and a P40 then made another round to pickup the third one a P47 Jug. Five of the greatest fighters in one group, really
neat to see. They were making a fuel stop on their way to an air show.

Some interesting info on the Walla Walla air field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla_Walla_Regional_Airport

Truck Shop