• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanics Tool boxes what brands do you guys use ?

jhill

Digdug look at garagejournal.com for some nice garages.

The latest thing now is that board with the horizontal slots in the face. Lots of hooks and other asscesories available. The hooks don't fall out like pegs.:Banghead :)

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
I have an International and a Craftsman. Both units are top box and base with wheels around 20 drawers each. Yes country boy, they are both ball bearing:thumbsup

DigDug

Thanks guys , i am going to check those sites out. I want to make a nice tool wall . doug

thejdman04

I have ahd quite a few boxes in my years as a mechanic and heres my take. Ball bearing drawers are a must. You shouldnt overload your drawers, that is the biggest probelm I have esp w/bigger deep sockets I keep in the bottom drawers, weight really ads up. Waterloo for fact makes craftsmen boxes, so if you can find waterloo, buy that (look at drawer sizes and configurations, exactly the same). I was younger once and bought one of the huge snap on boxes. They are nice but loaded down its a real pain in the butt to push around in the shop (need 2 guys), if the once piece of equipment wont fit in my bay(our shop ahs smaller doors and larger ones)or if my bays tied up waitign for parts). I bought the snap on box at the time because I was impressed mainly w/the dealer he pulled each drawer out on the box (even the smaller ones (thinner ones) and he was about 200 lbs and stepped and bouced a bit on each of the drawers and then told me to open them, they stillo opened up nice and smooth. Never tried it w/my waterloo or clark to see if theyd bend but impressed me whte snap on box. I have been fairly happy w/the waterloo and clark. No box will stand up to putting it in the back of a truck to go on a service call, the box wont stand up to the bouncing and flexing. Knaack and greenlee both make boxes that look like job boxes but have drawers etc and make htem like toolboxes. These use little 10 inch pneumatic tires (like on hand trucks etc) easy to roll around, very heavy can be put int he back of a truck and left there and the drawers wont warp or bend, you can overlaod those drawers and they wont bed either. Also the knnack boxes and greenlee boxes have fork pockets on them so you can move it around the shop if you need to, Tried that once w/a clark box and it buckled but they werent designed to be picked up.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
This is the box I have been looking at it doesn't say if its got ballbearing slides or not.

Attachments

• B000JV8ITU_01-A10FHFRJZ0GJG3__SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_V36841906_.jpg
    B000JV8ITU_01-A10FHFRJZ0GJG3__SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_V36841906_.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 804

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
It says each drawer is able to support 75lbs of weight with a total load capacity of 975lbs :eek:

There is no way I have that much tools to almost weigh 1000lbs.

Ohya the price on that box is 400 dollars canadian.

Lashlander

That tool box doesn't look like it has roller slides in the picture. I have a Snap On Road Chest I bought in 87 and have used hard since and it doesn't have them either. They are nice but not mandatory if you lube them once in awhile. I don't know if you have a Costco where you live but they have a nice stainless steel box with roller slides that look well built. I don't remember the cost but remember I was surprised how cheap it was. Not trying to talk you out of the craftsman though. Just another idea.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I'am holding off on the toys for now the toolbox isn't going to make money its just eye candy for my basement :bouncegri

I have gotten from this that ball bearing slides are the thing that I need over the cheaper friction slides. I seen Sears had some boxes on forsale so I wanted to know what is good and bad points about them. If I was back to wrenching I would be buying a new toolbox right now the tools havent seen much use.

Its tempting to whip out the credit card and order a new toolbox then at the end of the month when the credit card bill comes and I say why did I buy that :crying

N.B.CONCRETE

Occupation
OWNER
Craftsman boxes with lots of bent or broken Craftsman tools. But its what I can afford and I'm happy with that. Plus I dont cry when I lose a tool in the snow either...LOL :thumbsup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I have gotten now any time I work on my truck or something else I double check and even tripple check to see if I left or dropped any tools. Its always the way damn it when you go to the next job and you need a 9/16 wrench and its not there. I will keep a eye out when the Craftsman boxes go on sale again and I will try find my sears credit card I hid it some where to keep me from buying tools :bouncegri

smalltime

This goes along with the peg board wall. I know a guy who traced every tool he owns on a peg board. If someone borrows a tool, he takes a piece of paper, writes their name, phone #, & the date they borrowed it & sticks that over the peg. He always knows who has the tools & how to get it back. I wish I could get that organized!!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I don't loan out tools to anybody even to dad. I don't like borrrowing tools from other people either. When I was working for one of the contractors I never even left my portable toolbox in the shop because I would be out on a job running a machine the guys would be using my tools :mad:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Those are nice but the price :eek:

That tool box would cost me 880 dollars CND but if I was making a living with my tools it prolly would be worth it.