• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanics Tool boxes what brands do you guys use ?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I'am looking at a 10 or 11 drawer top chest toolbox I have been looking at Sears Craftsman they are the ones that come in Midnight Blue or Green.

My brother has Waterloo boxes but he got them for X-Mas presents and the store they came from is in Vancouver.

I was thinking of the Craftsman boxes because I can order online and its shipped to the sears depot here. A 11 drawer box is 400 dollars which isn't bad the Waterloo Boxes are cheaper but it might because they are a cheaper quality.

I have so much tools now that I can't keep track of what I have. I have grown from a standard gable top portable toolbox to I would probably fill a 11 drawer top chest box.

Been thinking about building a single axle shop trailer so I can have all my tools in one place. But I would like to get a good toolbox first so I can keep track of all my stuff. Its funny how when its your own tools you care about them I used to drive my dad nuts when I used his tools and never put them back.

What is your guys preference of brand of tool box is the Craftsman Boxes any good ?

wyldman

Charter Member
Craftsman is pretty good.Mastercraft stuff is good too.They are all made by one or two manufacturers anyways.I beleive Beech makes all the Crafstman and Mastercraft stuff.

Whatever you get,buy one with roller drawer slides.They still roll in and out nicely even when loaded.Friction slides are a pain to open when there are heavy tools in the drawer.Also look for one with locking drawers.The front drawer lip must be lifted slightly or the drawer will not slide out.

excavator

Tool boxes

It depends on what your going to do with it, you get what you pay for. Craftsman is a good box if your going to leave it in the shop but if you start throwing it in the back of the truck I would wonder how long it will last. I bought one set of SnapOn boxes in 1980 and one other in 1992 and the first set has been in my service truck since 1987 and the other since 1992 and they are still in very good condition, but again, you get what you pay for. They're expensive but they're good. The comment that they're all made by one or two companies is like saying all pickups or all excavators are built by the same company! It comes down to, buy what you think will work and what makes you happy!

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i use a wooden box for my tools, that when a theif will not take them.(they look for tools boxes) all my tools i use to fix my obsolete equipmnet don't amount to much so a wooden box works very well. when i'm in my little shop, my tools are on the work bench instead of the wooden box, LOL

check my d6 9u pictures under dozers and you will see my collection of tools, LOL

someday i want nice tools and a fancy shop with a cement floor, LOL

thansk

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
I have a hodge-podge set of tool boxes a Craftsman roller cabinet, a Mastercraft center chest and a Ultra-Pro (Napa) top chest. I prefer the Ultra-Pro quality the most.:bash

sbrem

I have a big Craftsman box with the ball bearing drawers. I like it a lot. Its no Snap On, but for the price I am very happy with it. Wait till they go on sale. Sears seems to have them on sale quite often.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The toolbox will be at home if I got any place I need to take tools I have a ordinary tool box that you can carry.

I'am not a professional mechanic so its not like the drawers on the tool box are opening and closing every day. Its nice thou to have all my tools in one place and organized.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I'am not a professional mechanic so its not like the drawers on the tool box are opening and closing every day.

I'd still go with the ball bearing slides for extended life if nothing else. :yup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I will look to see what prices are worth I might have to hold off on a eye candy toolbox for now. Its what I wanted to find out what you guys prefered I don't know much about mechanics toolboxes I never owned one.

So its better to spend the money on one with ball bearing drawer slides. The contractor I worked for had a few old boxes with the friction sides they didn't want to close very well. Then again the boxes are probably 20 years old.

Snap On tool boxes are out of the question for me I'am not that rich I know the snap on tool man and talk to him any time I see him. A snap pn box is in the thousands it would be worth it if mechanics was my proffession.

I even noticed John Deere has their own line up of tool boxes with their name on them.

Countryboy

Occupation
You can get decent priced boxes with the ball bearing slides. That is one of the most important features to me. If your working on something then its probably broken and your probably already not in the best mood so you don't want to fight with drawers that won't open or close :spaz .

I have a Snap-On box although its an excellent box I should've gotten the "el cheapo". I bought the Snap-On in retaliation for the purse and shoes the ol' lady bought :mad: . Turns out she couldn't of cared less :rolleyes: . I should've used her card not mine :Banghead .

jhill

I have a Snap on that Ive had for 30 yrs but its getting tired. I also have a Remline I bought about 7 yrs ago it seeems to be holding up well. Last I knew Waterloo made the Sears boxes. Sears boxes are a good value.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The snap on tool sales man for the area always has a brandnew cabinet and top chest in his truck for the newbie mechanics that are eager to buy a toolbox. One thing about snap on is they have the specialized tools but otherwise the other brands work finel.

I will buy craftsman wrenches but I won't buy their sockets or socket sets dad bought a set and every thin walled socket cracked. Yes its free replacement but when you have to wait 2 weeks for your replacement its not worth it. I have a set of the last run of craftsman combination wrenches the ones with the raised panels on the shank of the wrench. Can't get them anymore they have been discontinued so I bought a set before they were all gone.

My socket sets are Westward I have had them for 10 years never broke one yet been well abused.

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
In the for what it's worth department:

I have Sears toolboxes for the shop, and they work well for me, but I'm not a professional mechanic, so it's not really a heavy use situation. For the field, i.e. working out of a truck, I've found that the sets of tools that come with the molded plastic cases work well for the little tools, since each one fits into it's own slot, helping to insure that every tool used in the field gets returned to it's place in the box. An open slot means a socket is laying on the gound somewhere. I use Sears black plastic (double wall) boxes, in several sizes, for bigger tools, the pipe wrenches, etc. Having several helps me separate tools; screwdrivers in one, big wrenches in another, drill bits in a third, etc. That way, I can basically take what I need, rather than having to go back to the truck several times, or having to lug a big box into and out of the truck. I find that the plastic boxes can take a few knocks better that a steel box, which I can dent up in a hurry. I also use a couple of the canvas, open top tool boxes, the ones with the handle over the top, for tools that I'm always needing. Having one or two set up with the basics for your job makes things relatively easy.

While this works for me, I'd not suggest this arrangement for a serious mechanic, who would probably have many more, and heavier tools than I usually need, or carry in a truck.

As for the sales at Sears, go on the afternoon of the last day of the sale. I did once and overheard the guy in front of me ask for the exact set that I wanted. He got the last set the store had. Since the add says "...as advertised or better", I asked for the next higher set, at the sale price. I was offered a rain check, and after pointing the wording of the Sears ad out to the manager, I paid the 350 dollars for the sale advertized set, and walked out with a bigger set of boxes, worth over 500 bucks.

Countryboy

Occupation
Well I think Sears has gone downhill since K-mart bought them out. I remember when you brought a broken tool in, went to the shelf and got a NEW replacement, took it to the counter to show the cashier of the swap and you were off with a new tool. Now if you bring in a broken tool you get a "refurbished" tool. Now why do I want a tool that somebody else broke and they "fixed" :mad: .

Thats not to say that tool quality is bad. I just think their policies are screwed up.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The outlet store sears has here only carries appliances any tools or clothes etc you order from the catalog or online. Sears Canada doesn't sell tires anymore I guess its not worth it.

Our one parts store was carrying CLARKE brand tool boxes they looked pretty good I haven't seen them in the store lately.

On edit the local parts store has GEL tools they work find have a free replacement gaurantee I had a 1/2 drive flex bar I broke because I had a cheater pipe on it but the store replaced it no questions asked. The one good thing is the store is close so its a 10 min drive.

With anything from sears the sears outlet sends the tool to eastern canada where the head distribution is then they send you a replacement tool back usually takes 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Wulf

IMHO it really depends on whether its going to be a shop chest or a road chest, a shop chest will pretty well last forever but a road chest will suffer from fatigue and inertia damage, bumps and scrapes no matter how well its stowed over thousands of miles of use.

Second hand, bargain pages or word of mouth is a good way of finding a good tool box when a professional wants to trade up.

On a side note... does Cat still make their orange serviceman's chest? They were sweet.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The toolbox I would buy stays in the shop or when I get a shop trailer it will be in it. Most mechanics I know have regular gable top toolboxes for the out in the field work some of them have tools just for out in the field work that stay in the portable tool box. When your working on boats that are in the water having expensive snap on wrenches falling through the planks of the dock and you say oh crap what was that.

When you do marine construction like dad and I were doing all the wrenches had a rope tied to it that you put around your wrist. Most of the bolts all had 1 1/4 nuts so loosing a 1 1/4 wrench hurts they are not cheap.

DigDug

I have a Mac toolbox. While on the subject of tool boxes. Does anyone know of a site to see a nice tool wall or similar. I have been looking on the net for extreme garages or something and havent found anything. I actually would like to make a full wall of tools where you can see everything and anything thats missing. Looking for ideas for brackets , hooks , pegboard , etc. Thanks doug

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have a Mac toolbox. While on the subject of tool boxes. Does anyone know of a site to see a nice tool wall or similar. I have been looking on the net for extreme garages or something and havent found anything. I actually would like to make a full wall of tools where you can see everything and anything thats missing. Looking for ideas for brackets , hooks , pegboard , etc. Thanks doug

Doug, have you thought about (maybe not so cool) peg board. I haven't seen it around for years but it was a white board with a bunch of holes that you put pegs in to suit your tools. Then you trace around the tool with pencil and in-fill the outline with various colour paints to suit the ranges of tools an stuff. Done properly it can look very professional...it will exactly match your tool collection and is easily expanded when you get that burning feeling with the credit card down the tool shop:rolleyes:

Just a thought.

I did see a good setup down this ere part of the world awhile back so I'll see if I can find a link for you...either that or you'll have to go on Jesse James's "Monster Garage" and win a setup.:cool: