• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for Feed Back

Impact

Occupation
Owner
some photos

Attachments

• P2190072.jpg
    P2190072.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 375
  • P2190073.jpg
    P2190073.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 367

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Going after the Grove Monday. Taking a semi and 48 flat bed to get the inserts, counterweights etc. 25,000# or so. Got all my permits lined up etc. Why do I feel like a criminal whenever I drive a big rig across state lines? I've got trip permits for the semi in and out of Wisconsin. I've got trip permits and overweight permits for Wisconsin for the crane. I've got trip, overweight and toll road permits for the crane in Illinois. Kentucky, I'll just wing it since I'm a local. If I was an over the road trucker, I'd commit suicide trying to deal with all the paper work. It's really sad.

heavylift

Nice looking crane

I hauled about a dozen loads to South Dakota several years ago... Half of them being permited over weight and width....

The real pain was the weight stations or port of entries.... That dang wide load sign.... It was an instant....pull over... lets see your paper work

The normal loads or empty were just a wave thru....

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Your gonna love that unit ..

Question though ..do they travel that crane with 2 slabs on the deck one on the upper .. she's to heavy that way ?

Remember I was saying about the "BOOST" in the hoist and boom ..that ones got the gear winches not the Axial motor..she'll run way to hot running High with the Boost.. watch that ....

Any other questions ,feel free to throw rocks at me ..I love that Crane ..

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Your gonna love that unit ..

Question though ..do they travel that crane with 2 slabs on the deck one on the upper .. she's to heavy that way ?

Remember I was saying about the "BOOST" in the hoist and boom ..that ones got the gear winches not the Axial motor..she'll run way to hot running High with the Boost.. watch that ....

Any other questions ,feel free to throw rocks at me ..I love that Crane ..

People I bought it from are from Wisconsin. They travel with one on the upper and two on the deck. They tell me it "axles out" better that way. I'm not sure if they have overweight permits. My guess would be YES. Just got home with it. Drives like a dream. Much faster than the AT. Not quite as smooth on the bumps as the AT, but, 15 MPH faster I'll take ANY day.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I always traveled two on the upper one on deck ..The front axles would be over with it on the front..

The drives to heavy with two back there..

Solution was put the hook block up at the front and the rigging box ..

Then leave out a little boom ,38Ft if i remember ..If I scaled out ..I Just played with the boom lenght to get it right ..(sometines i had optional hoisting equipment on board ..spreader bars and such)

You can pull the Aux head sheave if you sway beyond your overall lenght when you scale ..
Dont ask how i had to figure that out ..

Id kill to get my hands on that unit:drinkup ..walk right over my mother i would ..:eek:

Last edited:

Impact

Occupation
Owner
walk over your mother? Wow..You must like it.

Had a chance to do a one day job with the 760. Drove to a site 15 miles away with two on the deck, and one on the upper. Drove OK. Decided to drive back with all three on the upper. Bad idea. Won't do it again. Hit a bump and did a wheelie. Next trip I'll try one on the deck two on the upper.

Managed to get annual o/w permits for Tennessee with the c/w on the rig. Not for KY though. Legally, I have to remove ALL c/w. State of KY says I don't even have to have a plate. I carry a letter from KY DOT confirming this in the cab. Also, if it doesn't have a plate, don't have to report mileage and fuel usage to IFTA? Weird. If the rig doesn't require a plate, and I don't report to IFTA, does the driver have to have a CDL? The DOT laws are harder than chinese arithmitic.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
The first job. Just as we were finishing, and wrapping the rig up for transport, the cable reel on the PAT system went slack. The little black cable was drooped down, so we wound it back up by hand and duct taped it to get to the shop. Expecting the spring to be broke, we started looking through the service manual. NOTHING on the pat system. Arggh. So, we winged it. Tore into it, and the spring's not broken. All of a sudden, now it's working again. :beatsme

I almost know the next job, it'll do it again. And, I'm sure, at the most inopportune time. Any ideas on what to check? :Banghead

We got ready to set the jib up, and the two block didn't work with the jib. Ended up found some corrosion in the switch on the jib tip. Hopefully that'll fix that.

I THOUGHT I loved the AT700 50 ton. I like this 760 2:1 better. Makes me want to cut the steering wheel out of the upper on the AT crane. :drinkup

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Do you know how to set the length potentiometer in that ?

I had a real do that on a Manitex boom truck..what you need to do is with the crane in the rest and a helper ..you need to pull that cable so you get a 110ft length..

All the while you do that ..you have to listen carefully to the real ..your liable to hear just a slight slipping of the spring ..It was the anchorage of the spring that was busted not the spring....At some point the cable broke ..and the reel over spun the wrong way ..goofing the anchorage..
The other thing it maybe ..watch that the reel is running true ..it dosent take a whole lot to warp it and have it just rub the tinyest bit on the bracket..enough that she dosent have enough tension on the reel to overcome it ..

we didn't fix it ..warranty replaced the reel assembly ..

i helped the mechanic from manitex change it ..he didn't know the price(or didnt want to tell me) ..but he handled it quite carefully

If you don't hear any slipping ..put an additional turn on the reel with the cable all off ..then let the reel reload the cable ..carfully...reset the boom length ..take her out in the yard and cycle the boom a half dozen times ..

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Yesterday morning I didn't know how to set the length potentiometer. Yesterday afternoon, I did.:D That's the easiest thing I've fixed on a Grove yet. The reel seems to spin freely. Seems to be working now. :beatsme It's one of those things that I didn't really do anything. Why did it mess up to start with? It'll probably happen again. I've got a day and 1/2 job Monday. We'll see.

Did I mention I love this crane? Think it's the perfect rig for what I do. The local DOT officer came in the shop looking for a bit of scrap rebar yesterday. Asked him to do some checking for me on permits etc. He's going to check it out. I let him have the rebar for free. :D

Tiny

The dog gone wind can some times give you fits with those little cables and reels.Have seen the cables or wires whipping in fairly light wind.

Company has a 9000 E and some weights are on the machine and some are in the dolly.I know its not the same but thats how they spread it around to get legal

Attachments

• 9000e.jpg
    9000e.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
9000E and the 700E pretty much the same carrier ..

I have to say I envy you ..Impact ..

First chance you get pull the lid of the center post and check the torque on the set screws for the electrical swivel ..better yet pull the set screws out ..apply some blue thread lock ..just take my word for it ..its time well spent ..

Now while your there ..have a look at the wires and slip rings ..

Do not ,,Do not spray just any electrical contact cleaner on those rings ..as sad as it sounds call Grove for the proper stuff ..
any chlorine based cleaner will turn the spacer wafers to powder ..you'll have a shop project in under a 1/2 hour ..Thats from one of Groves tech's ..

..you can if you have to should you get in a jam ..use the High-speed solenoid coil pack of the Aux winch to get the swing going should the coil pack on it fail ..

The sheave in the jib only goes up on offset ..it stays down on stiff jib ..In the manual they refer to it as a mast ..theres one sentence in the entire book that tells you not to have it up on stiff jib ..offset only ..
Pulling from memory here ..but section 4? ..jib erection? ..look for a bold single sentence ..right hand page, inside coloum ..just over half way down ..
I should have copied that manual ..

The outriggers wont go out or come up if the brakes are not applied ..I got my unit stuck once ..why apply the brakes if your in a hole ..right?...LOL..took me a minute to figure that out ..

If theres anything else you need to know ..lay it on me ..I'd run that crane for free ..:drinkup

Impact

Occupation
Owner
The dog gone wind can some times give you fits with those little cables and reels.Have seen the cables or wires whipping in fairly light wind.

Company has a 9000 E and some weights are on the machine and some are in the dolly.I know its not the same but thats how they spread it around to get legal

Tiny, yup. That'd be the proper way to do it. But, I'm doing all I can to avoid that.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
liebherr..Envy me? You mean because you like the crane?

You're teaching me things. I welcome the input. I've yet to read the manual. Guess I should. I've been putting the pulley..(mast) up for a stiff jib.

I've been looking for wood blocks as I've seem to loose them. Found some oak ones. Used once, now, they're dunnage for other steel. FAR too heavy. Got a local sawmill cutting some 4 x 6 poplar. Those should work nice. $8.93 for a 12 footer. I ordered a dozen.

The brakes would have taken me a bit to figure out too. I found out the upper won't work if you leave the key on in the lower. I didn't read that in the manual neither. LOL.

Got enough work, I hired a man who's kin to me. Thinking of teaching him to run cranes and drive trucks. Guy's 56 y/o and retired. Used to work here way back in the late 70's. Good guy. Smart enough and consciencse...consensuse...:Banghead Smart enough and pays attention and CARES enough to do right. Gotta train him from the ground up. HE'll be with me or the other operator at al times. Start off just letting him pull levers. Then, let him set the rig up. He won't be sent out alone all summer. There will be somebody around that is familiar with what we pick, and weights radius etc.

Found out from the local DOT you don't even need a CDL to drive a crane in KY? Wow. It's considered an off-road construction vehicle.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Envy me? You mean because you like the crane?

That and because you have the courage to get in neck deep with a payment ..Wish i could find that ..Ive run numbers so many times ..

Linkbelt HC

Occupation
Instructing Mobile Crane Apprentices

Hey Impact;
Do you know how much boom you have to scope out to keep your axle weights legal?