• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

And just because I don't have enough projects around my shop.... I brought home another one yesterday.

1992 peterbilt, 425hp, 3406 cat, 9 speed, 4.33 rears. Has a bad motor, and a couple other maintence items. I'm trying to replace the international that's pulling the trailer that the pete is loaded on. It's only a m11 with a super 10, and I'd rather have the pete because it should be enough truck to also pull my other lowboy trailer that we haul a crane on.

The motor supposedly has a knock, I never actually heard it turn over, the batteries are dead. But its supposed to run, just hammers. I'm thinking we're either inframing what I've got, unless I find a good used motor, then we'll swap. Only other thing it really needs is jakes, but another forum member has mentioned he has a set.

I bought it up by montgomery city mo, about a 4 hr drive from me. I gave $5,500 for it, so I should have a little room to spend some $ fixing it up. I hope to fix it then sell my international.

It got a little late last night before I got home, I had to fix two tires on the trailer before I left, so I got a little bit of a late start.

It had taller stacks, but they were rusted out, and they make me overheight, so we wacked them off with a sawzall before I headed home.
20171009_155753.jpg 20171009_194141.jpg 20171010_120647.jpg 20171010_120714.jpg

crane operator

And we have a new employee also, she's just not trained very well yet.

20171010_121825.jpg 20171010_121830.jpg

I'd say she's about 8 months old, someone dumped her out on our road, she was about starved to death when I started feeding her. I'd say she had a pretty rough start.

The first week you couldn't get within 10' of her, but this week she's really come around, you can pet her and she'll shake. She's really filling out, her ribs aren't showing anymore either. She was eating two bowls of food a day for the first week. I'm hoping by next week I can get her into the truck and get a rabies shot for her anyway.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
May I post some pictures of our work in Saudi?
This is "Crane Operators" thread so it would be best if you started your own thread to post pictures to save confusion if nothing else.

Go to the "Forums" link up near the top of Home Page and select one that would be close to what you work with or just use the "TGIF" forum if nothing fits. then scroll down to the bottom and on the right side at the bottom there should be a blue box that says "Post New Thread" name it what you want like "Saudi Work Pictures" and go from there.

saudi owner

This is "Crane Operators" thread so it would be best if you started your own thread to post pictures to save confusion if nothing else.

Go to the "Forums" link up near the top of Home Page and select one that would be close to what you work with or just use the "TGIF" forum if nothing fits. then scroll down to the bottom and on the right side at the bottom there should be a blue box that says "Post New Thread" name it what you want like "Saudi Work Pictures" and go from there.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how to post a new thread!

I was trying to get some of "crane operator" fans attention;) but they seem too intolerance :p

Regards

saudi owner

Start a thread with pictures and I will look. CO looks like you got a good start on a "new" truck

I did not get CO neither the "new" truck.
Sorry we Arabs run on crude oil that is why we are slower than you people!

I think you know how thick is the crude oil and how it is hard to burn it!

I hop you got what I am trying to say!

crane operator

80' broad band antenna. Erector was training a new hand. He went up the tower, came back down after the cordless impact. Went back up with the impact and spent 15 minutes, sticking the socket on every nut he tried to tighten with it. Tighten a bolt, spent 5 minutes beating the socket off, and put it right back on another nut. Finally, the old hand yelled up and suggested it might be faster to just use his spud wrench and just hand tighten the remaining 8 bolts. Or we could spend the rest of the day waiting for him to use the cordless.

20171011_090447.jpg 20171011_090452.jpg 20171011_094238.jpg

crane operator

Trusses today, had to take the yellow 25, it was pretty foggy this morning and the winshield wiper wasn't working on the white one. I of course hadn't left enough time to fix it before I left, I guess I need to get out of bed earlier.

20171012_100031.jpg 20171012_100144.jpg 20171012_101250.jpg

crane operator

Nice little truss job today. We've been a little busy, and these guys called a competitor of mine on wednesday to set these trusses. They said he had the crane on the yard for two hours and couldn't figure out how to get level because the hill was too steep (they're based up in flat country).

I looked at it last night and didn't know about the other crane being there, the customer called and wanted me to "look" at it, because he was "worried" about it. I told him it didn't look to bad and wasn't really worried about it, that's when he brought up the other crane being there.

Anyways, good group of amish boys, even though they won't even stay off their phone's now either. Caught two of them today yakking away on them.

20171013_084656.jpg 20171013_104636.jpg

crane operator

But it was a really nice day, so I did get some nice pictures. Had all the trusses except the last gable and the hats set by 10:00, which wasn't too bad, they didn't want me there until 8:30.

20171013_084844.jpg 20171013_091448.jpg 20171013_091458.jpg 20171013_091521.jpg

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Doesn't look like it would be too hard to level to me. You do get some interesting jobs.

crane operator

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to level to me. You do get some interesting jobs.

The builder said as soon as the operator pulled up he was scared and said "there's no way I can set up there". He actually tried once to set where I'm setting, then turned sideways, pulled the nose of the crane up on the hill, with the back end downhill, and tried it again (why he did that, I don't know, he was right the first time). When he was setting with the slope, it slid a little when coming up on jacks (which isn't unusual on a slope) and then when he got out of the cab, they said he was literally shaking, he was spooked real bad when it slid. I feel for the guy, that's no fun at all.

It really wasn't a bad spot, I only had wood under one outrigger, and the crane was setting pretty level before I even started. I thought it was a pretty "normal" set up spot.

The builder, when he told the other crane to just head back for town, said it was like he flipped a switch on the operator's face. He shook his hand in gratitude, and was thankful that he was headed back for town and off that jobsite.
It could be that he's just new at his job, and if he's just out of training school, or coming from refinery or powerhouse work, he would never see a crooked jobsite. They really don't cover that well in the books, they don't tell you how to set up on a 3' slope, just that the crane needs to be on a firm level surface.

The framer's offered to cut up some 2x10's for him, he was short of wood on the deck, but he didn't want that either, said pine would just "explode". I carry a lot of oak, but I'll quite often steal a 2x6 or something to level up a pad if I need to.

It just is hard when you're out of your comfort zone, but we all have day's that don't go so well, and I sure haven't seen and done everything either.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I was thinking the same unless there's something I don't see that's every second job for me.
The Mennonites that I work for all Tex and talk on the phone and if there on the phone the job stops. And I think they all smoke by the time they're 15. But for the most part good guys and I like setting for them, never make much money off them because I'll do a 60x150 foot barn on my minimum charge.

BobCatBob

As a Neophyte who uses a crane for basic non-commercial picks (country bumpkin picks) : when setting up on a slope (which I haven't done), does it make sense to dig out a flat for an outrigger? I made a set of pads with 4x4's sandwiched between 3/4" ply roughly 30"x30"....I noticed a steel pad of some kind as your 1st pad before stacking oak for your outriggers.....what is that?

P.s. In the summer of 1986, my grandfather (who owned a Grove 180) tried to get me on as an oiler for the local 150......if only they were hiring....lol