• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Put up some more floor trusses this morning (35 ton), then a hvac unit this afternoon (25 ton). You may wonder how I got jib put in at the hvac job, well let me tell you, I didn't do it where the crane is at in the pictures. I set up further ahead in the big open part of the parking lot. Installed jib. Back down on rubber, and backed into the alley/ dock. 2200lbs, and it was just supposed to be over the edge of the building, and it would have been if I could have set up in a 12' wide dock. But no that would be too easy.

Instead I was about 85' over there, I should have just gone back to the shop for the 35 ton, but I got it done.

20171019_084138.jpg 20171019_100642.jpg 20171019_133143.jpg 20171019_133253.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_2351.JPG
Where are these mysterious level sights, when I backed around the rear of this house I thought oh! They have a level spot for me great, nope it just wasn't as sloped as the rest of the property I still had to put extra dunage under both jacks on the house side. No problem I took my time and made sure I was an set up well ( last outing I tore my cab off, I'm still a little gun shy) the picture really doesn't do it justice. I'd hate to be coming down it in an ice storm

Knepptune

Those 25s don't steer that well with the jib and stinger hanging over the nose, do they? They barely steer at all if you have to hang the jib and put the boom over the back to get in. Lol

crane operator

Pictures never do a slope justice, do they tradesman? Going to put a wall of glass and a dormer in the middle of the house? Everything working in the new cab?

knepptune- I usually put the boom over the nose if driving around with jib on. I won't do it on a steep- side slope jobsite (unless I can boom down enough to put it in the rest), and I usually keep outriggers out a little. I think you could lay one over pretty easy on its side with jib on. and you're dead on- they are really light up front if you boom down too much over the rear, with jib on.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
P
Pictures never do a slope justice, do they tradesman? Going to put a wall of glass and a dormer in the middle of the house? Everything working in the new cab?

knepptune- I usually put the boom over the nose if driving around with jib on. I won't do it on a steep- side slope jobsite (unless I can boom down enough to put it in the rest), and I usually keep outriggers out a little. I think you could lay one over pretty easy on its side with jib on. and you're dead on- they are really light up front if you boom down too much over the rear, with jib on.
I think it's getting timber framed for a big open front porch.
The new cab is identical to the old one. It was kinda nice with it off I sanded all the rust blisters off under the floor, behind the console and all the nasty dark corners , primed and painted. I got my satellite radio going tonight, I missed it today. One of the nicest things about it is the dang wiper parks in the correct spot I don't know if you noticed but the old one always parked dead centre and I couldn't Fix it. Got some good news the insurance company asked a local truck shop for an estimate on removing the old cab and installing the new one, it turns out he is a good client of mine so I was talking today with him and he asked me how long it took me to do it, I was quite honest and told him I had about 11 hours into it, so that's the number he's giving them and they will be reimbursing me for my time " nice" never occurred to me.

Natman

That phenomenon of a picture never truly showing how steep a hill is, is well known to us pilots who land on mountain sides, so I wasn't surprised when I noticed the same thing on my work pics! Taking that into account, that looks pretty steep CO.

crane operator

It was a little windy and rainy here this weekend also. Got a call about a downed tree on a house, tree man had trimmed most of it off, but was concerned about the big piece.

Also one of the guys that works for me does a little scrapping. The local hydraulic hose/ welding/ construction supply house had this old forklift setting outside for a couple years. Lucky for him, he works for a guy with a crane, and truck and gooseneck trailer. He bought it, and we went and loaded it up the other day. Little sucker weighed just under 8,000lbs. I was thinking more like 6,000.

I keep looking at that counterweight on the forklift, and dreaming of ways to mount it to the rear of the turntable, on the little mack boom truck. What boom truck couldn't use more counterweight?

20171024_085806.jpg 20171024_085824.jpg 20171020_094236.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It was a little windy and rainy here this weekend also. Got a call about a downed tree on a house, tree man had trimmed most of it off, but was concerned about the big piece.

Also one of the guys that works for me does a little scrapping. The local hydraulic hose/ welding/ construction supply house had this old forklift setting outside for a couple years. Lucky for him, he works for a guy with a crane, and truck and gooseneck trailer. He bought it, and we went and loaded it up the other day. Little sucker weighed just under 8,000lbs. I was thinking more like 6,000.

I keep looking at that counterweight on the forklift, and dreaming of ways to mount it to the rear of the turntable, on the little mack boom truck. What boom truck couldn't use more counterweight?

View attachment 174370 View attachment 174371 View attachment 174372

I have a better weight if you want one. On the back of an old 14 ton picker, handy size. Still have a couple excavator weights as well as two forklifts......plenty of options!

crane operator

I have a better weight if you want one. On the back of an old 14 ton picker, handy size. Still have a couple excavator weights as well as two forklifts......plenty of options!

I know- someday I'm going to just take a day and drive over there. You'd think you were on the other side of the moon instead of just over the state line.

Did you see the pictures of the pete? Its really a pretty clean truck, I haven't dropped the pan or opened rocker covers, I've been busy. The noise is really high up, around #2 cylinder. I'm hopeful that's its not serious, and even a inframe wouldn't be bad if I had to.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I know- someday I'm going to just take a day and drive over there. You'd think you were on the other side of the moon instead of just over the state line.

Did you see the pictures of the pete? Its really a pretty clean truck, I haven't dropped the pan or opened rocker covers, I've been busy. The noise is really high up, around #2 cylinder. I'm hopeful that's its not serious, and even a inframe wouldn't be bad if I had to.

I did see it, I think it'll make a good truck. Hard to beat a 3406B. I've got all kinds of crap laying around you mind be able to repurpose :) The two forklifts have propane motors if you're still looking for parts. They're gonna get scraped soon. I'll take the useful bits off then and toss the rest. Just about any weekend I'm around.

crane operator

It must be my year for swivel repair. The tms 300 decided to start leaking air from the supply to the delivery to the lower engine throttle. We've had some moisture problems in the air system, and I thought that was the real problem, but today it started seeping oil too, and it has gotten to the point it was sending the lower throttle to wide open.

We pulled it this afternoon. The air portion was rusty, but I think it will hone out enough to seal up.

We've pulled the rt one twice since last november, and I've got the little boom truck's swivel laying on the bench waiting for one seal, so I guess one more isn't that big of a deal.

Knepptune

On that 300 are you leaving the tower on the crane or did you pull the whole assembly. On that style I never pulled the tower.

Back to driving the 25s around with the jib on, I can tell you they won't turn over as quickly as I thought they would. I watched a guy drive one through a two foot ditch at an angle with the jib and stinger at about a 25 degree angle. I couldn't believe that it stayed rubber side down.

The abuse that poor crane went through... same guy was moving around an apartment job with the jib and stinger out and ran the stinger through an almost finished building. Laid the poor crane over a month later. Didn't damage anything when he did that, building stopped the crane from going completely over. As far as I know that crane is still working. That operator was unemployed last I knew. Hopefully still is.

crane operator

Overnighted a seal kit for the tms 300 swivel, and 1/2 the seals were wrong in the kit. I've got some different seals found at a local hydraulic shop, they should be here monday. You can see we had some corrosion on the air portion, the barrel needed some honing done on it.

Trusses with the amish boys Thursday.

20171026_073642.jpg 20171026_085330.jpg 20171026_095404.jpg 20171026_114653.jpg

crane operator

Had to back right up to the house, there was a girder and a little bump out on the back wall to reach.

Should I be worried the buzzards were circling? There were 10-15 of them, so I tried to look active.....

20171026_085548.jpg 20171026_104841.jpg 20171026_104847.jpg

crane operator

Hot tub to finish the week, they were complaining about the cost for a extra signal man, but I'm sure if one of the hot tub guys, had swung me into the house on the blind side, they would want me to pay to fix the house.

20171027_101253.jpg 20171027_101656.jpg 20171027_101714.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Hot tub to finish the week, they were complaining about the cost for a extra signal man, but I'm sure if one of the hot tub guys, had swung me into the house on the blind side, they would want me to pay to fix the house.
I think you call that forward thinking. Someone on this forum said they thought it was crazy for me to lay all the ground mats last fall when I was setting the docks, but the way I looked at it the correct person was paying up front instead of me paying to re-sod. Same applies in this case, keep up the good work.
And as for the buzzards, how's your personal hygiene, not making passing any judgment, just throwing it out there.

crane operator

I did sneak in a new tool yesterday too. A new (to me) vise appeared on craigslist, and I'm a sucker for new tools.

Its a chas parker, and its a heavy little ba$%erd. I picked it up and set it on the pallet on the forklift, and next time I'm setting the pallet on the ground first.

It would barely turn, so I gave it a good dousing with some spray lube, and now it turns really free. I'm hoping the big jaws will hold smaller cylinders, etc.

I put a paint can in the picture to give a idea of its jaw spread.

20171028_123808.jpg 20171028_122130.jpg 20171028_122852.jpg