• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Bluox

The local guy here does 2 piece tanks, there's a groove in one piece and a key in the other.

Roll of black snot goes in the groove and then together they go.

Form doesn't look anything like what you have.

Joe H
I think they're are 2 forms there a top and a upside down bottom.
Bad Bob

dirty4fun

Used to get the two piece ones, but both suppliers quit or closed their business over the years. They were well made and held up, as long as no one drove a concrete truck over the top.

Looks like your puller worker Junkyard, even sweeter when you make something and it makes the job easier and works. WHen I saw the upper bearing I wondered how they knew it was bad, then saw the lower one and understood how they knew. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think they're are 2 forms there a top and a upside down bottom.
Bad Bob

Yeppers. As it sits in the picture the form for the top is just resting on the form that when poured ends up being the bottom, sides and chambers. Pour the big form, finish what’s exposed on top, which is actually the bottom when in use, lay the plastic lids in the other form and pour it. Lots of aerobic setups around here, too much clay and shale to perk.

BV, there have been some tank failures around here too. These forms have fixtures for vibrators, it’s been explained that with these tanks having the chambers it’s imperative we get all the air and voids worked out of it.

terex herder

Well JY, you are about to get a crash course in cement and concrete. Your success will depend a great deal on your relationship with the concrete plant. If they send you junk, you will have junk in spite of your best efforts. I would suggest you get sample cans and develop a system of identifying cans and tanks for traceability.

Then there is the whole cement type I/II and type IL issue. If your plant starts with the new type IL you won't have a change. If you start with the type I/II, some of what you learn won't apply to the new type IL. I have heard bonding on strand is significantly reduced with some type IL.

I see a separate LLC for the concrete tank business.

Old Doug

Picked up the first piece of a new venture today. Gonna give it a whirl to see if I can make a buck.

View attachment 284292
A self employed guy needs a back up gig to help out in between . This could be a good one. I have been looking for one . I wish i could find something part time but they are few and fare between . There are all kinds of jobs but there all 60+ hours a week.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The place here has their own batch plant and mixer truck. They cast the tanks in a heated building so they can work all winter like normal. Big heating bill They receive full loads of cement and rock all the time. They have their own batch plant and dilapidated mixer truck that goes the 40 yards between the batch plant and the building. And they have a couple delivery trucks also. They have a yard full of inventory of all different optioned tanks as well as risers and other plastic stuff that people might like to buy.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve looked at a lot of operations like that. Hard to say if it’ll grow into something with its own plant. I have an older retired friend that owned a concrete company so if that day comes he can help me put one together. Around here the plants can make plenty of mud, they just struggle with trucks and drivers. May end up with a truck of my own to haul my own concrete.

We poured a lot of shafts when I worked for the drilling company, lots of towers etc. I know a little about it. The good thing is I know all the right people to help me get off on the right foot.

I currently have an LLC that owns my shop property, I’m currently working as that one. The tank operation will get its own so we can keep the books separate etc. It’s a challenge to start a business without debt!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have some advice on LLC structure and taxation. be back later.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Worst case if you want out finding a buyer for the form shouldn't be too hard. I know our precast outfit just bought two new ones $$$$$$$

They have us or their yard guy weld a plate with logo and year in all their forms so it's cast in the tanks and lids and their other big items.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Local company makes all the boxes for electric vaults, pull boxes, lids, etc seems to get bigger every year. Same as the septic tank outfit, pours in a big shed. One small truck 25 yrs ago, now 2 big hyabs, bigger shed, lots more cars in the lot. Good luck with it. Cam

Welder Dave

Have heard concrete gets stronger with age and also it gets weaker after many many years. I know it's best if it stays moist and doesn't dry too fast. Wondering if things like septic tanks and cisterns need to age for a few month's or longer before they are handled much or installed?
We had a 2600 gallon water cistern installed many years ago. It was 3 sections with grooves between them. They used something like tar or rubber to seal the sections. It was heated up so it could pour in the groove and then the next section was put in place. About 20 years ago I helped replace a septic tank. The one coming out was 2 sections. Each section had grooves cast in the corners so a steel cable sling could be used for lifting them. The grooves were angled so the cable would slide into them and not slip out. The new tank was 1 piece but used similar grooves.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I doubt anybody is going to wait longer than 28 days to ship them. They were shipping about as fast as they could pour them the last couple years up around where I am. Availability has been an issue with septic installs.

joe--h

What do those tanks sell for in different parts of the country? Vs plastic tanks?

Looking at Menards, Lowes & HD tanks vary from $1200 to $2000 for plastic.

How many yards of concrete required?

Joe H

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Around here $3,500-$5,000 seems to be the norm. If memory serves its about 2-1/2 yards or so to pour a tank and lid. We’ve figured 3 so we have mud for the pedestals etc

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The place near here has rows upon rows of inventory sitting around. All different sizes and config. Some of it sits for years before shipping out. Some has the concrete old and weathered with grass growing out the cracks. Still they are always making and shipping them every day.