• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not too bad. A little slower than I’d like but it gave me time to get the shop cleaned up and the rest of my garden planted. The steel plant is picking up now that they know I’ll show up when I say I will.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
After the teeth I finished an AC repair on the same machine. Went to his haul truck and swapped a brake chamber, fixed a trailer light issue (amazing what grounds do for circuits lol), fixed an air leak on the trailer, changed a hydraulic coupler on his 299. Doing that the pry bar I was holding the lines with slipped and smacked my eye. I bled like a stuck hog!

Didn’t get back to the steel plant to finish the landing gear on a trailer. I’ll knock it out Monday. Tomorrow the oldest boy and I are headed to a truck show in Norman.

My demo buddy has a job close to my house, he sent me a picture of an old GM dump truck. Late 60’s early 70’s. I wanted the 427 out of it but got to looking at it….pretty solid old truck. Might actually be worth fixing up. Bed isn’t bad, both transmissions are there. Either way some or all of it will live again. He’s got 4 or 5 jobs coming up I’ll lend a hand on either moving iron or shagging loads to the dump. We trade back and forth a lot.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hi Folks. Have not been on HEF or anything for a while. Fishing in t-shirt comfort made the winter pass quickly. Jeff, I've ben going to call you. As I tell everybody, remember to charge enough to cover everything, including investing in your retirement. I always view income as subsistence pay. The only true income is what we can invest to get out of working and still have a decent quality of life. If you are getting more work than you can handle, chances are your rates are not high enough. Good luck my friend, I know your skill set will be an issue in determining your work load.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
This was absolutely a quality of life move. I’ve got a solid hourly rate, Vetech and Dmiller both consulted on that. I haven’t and won’t use borrowed money for anything. I’ve always had a retirement independent of any job offered 401k or pension. Before I made the move I sat down with my proposed hourly rate and broke it down into various categories so I can appropriate the income.

Work is steady, my rate has weeded out a bunch of dump truck guys and that’s fine by me. I don’t want all the work. The steel plant has a fair bit plus a couple others I’ve always worked for. I’m in a situation where 15 hours a week pays the bills.

I’ve got a couple other sources of revenue coming that are a bit more passive, a friend with a body shop needs a lot for the wreckers to drop cars so he’ll rent some space. Lots of things clicked for this to feel right.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You’re both right. Septic tanks. Have a friend that has done installs for 30 years. His main supplier retired so the regional guy came to him which in turn sent him to me. On top of pouring tanks I may build some of the forms for the regional guy and his parent company. I’ll have three forms when they all get here plus I’ll need to build some small ones for the pedestals and whatnot.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
All I know is this. There is a local co. near my shop that makes them by the hundreds with that same arrangement. Once I was on a job and they had to fill it with water in the pit that was still open for inspection, to prove that it does not leak. Well the whole side blew out. So there must be more to it than simply pouring concrete into a box.

Not a good day when that happened. Had to fish a broken tank out of a muddy pit, repair the excavation, replace it with a new tank, held up the job that much longer.

joe--h

The local guy here does 2 piece tanks, there's a groove in one piece and a key in the other.

Roll of black snot goes in the groove and then together they go.

Form doesn't look anything like what you have.

Joe H