• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310A backhoe strarting project

Delmer

i think the pressure from picking them up has done damage even using levers on each as we done it.

I doubt it. I'd bet you could pick up and flip over the whole machine with any of those "arms" and not hurt the hydraulics, with or without the levers.

Scout_1969

Like someone suggested the strainer in the trans. case should be pulled and cleaned, I found out about this on my 310b a few years ago.

Also, it sounds like your filters are leaking too, I found these to be difficult to get the thin oring to seal and mine leaked for a while.

red68racer

hello
worked on backhoe today , took flters off and treid getting strainer out . i treid like pick hook and no luck .anyone have any ideas ? i found a return hose that was crimped , looks like regular heater hose .backhoe has two coats of yellow paint , looks desent .

lantraxco

Unfortunately that's a bad sign. The strainer packs up with chunks and gunk which makes it hard to pull out. The hard bits will usually be brake friction bits.

I remember driving a large screwdriver between the outside wall of the strainer and the transmission case to get enough space to grab the plastic strainer with some small visegrips, then rotating it while yanking on it, once you get it moving it will usually come on out. Then you have to try to clean all the junk out of the bottom of the case. Probably need a new plastic strainer, Deere dealer should have it, when I bought one last it was less than $50, YMMV.

NOT regular heater hose though, it's hydraulic return hose rated for oil at 100 psi I think.

red68racer

hello
ok going to try get strainer out today , then maybe fiqure out how get peices out of case . maybe vacuum out or flush with diesel fuel ? or maybe some tractor supply hydraulic fluid , have it on sale 26 a 5 gal bucket of 303 .

gusbratz

hello
ok going to try get strainer out today , then maybe fiqure out how get peices out of case . maybe vacuum out or flush with diesel fuel ? or maybe some tractor supply hydraulic fluid , have it on sale 26 a 5 gal bucket of 303 .

I wouldn't run it much with that tsc 303, It would be ok to flush it out with I am sure. it says on the can that it fits all makes and list cat and oliver and deere but then at the bottom says in bold not for anything with wet clutches and nothing newer than 1973. sort of like a CL ad that tells you "van for sale ready to go needs nothing" . then goes on to tell you in the description that it need brakes muffler and a battery. lol

red68racer

hello
thanks for heads up on hydraulic 303 fluid . i read other post and thinking about pulling top cover off --use a compressed air engine cleaner sucking up diesel in and give good cleaning then fill with 10 gallons of diesel and let set . got to get new filters at jd dealer tommorrow . what hydraulic fluid would you use ?napa premuim or tsc premuim fluid ?

red68racer

hello
thanks for help , would you pull top of transmission off and give good cleaning with diesel ? this backhoe i have just got running -yet to see hydraulics work or seen it move .when cranking seen hyraulic fluid spraying out next to steering box , fixed that . also seeing another leak the small box thing on side of trans ,clutch shaft hooks to .

Scout_1969

I took the cover off so I could inspect and thoroughly flush/vacuum/magnet inside. If I recall correctly, others said it wouldn't be necessary.

My procedure was take both drain plugs out, screen out(eventually), side opposite the screen (there's a small tube on out side, screen rest in 'pocket' ) and maybe ten gallons of diesel.

Put a screen from sherwin williams on a 5 gallon bucket (for straining paint) under the drain plugs to capture what was flushed out, And just kept magnet/flushing/ repeatedly. Used a weed sprayer to get in hard to reach spots.

In my opinion, this worked best. After pouring in the diesel there was still shavings left in crevices. This took me by myself a long time, as I kept at it until there were no more shavings.

Changed fluid/filters and cleaned screen within about 20 hours of use (if I recall). Didn't get much out then or the next time.

The filters are difficult to get to seal with the thin gasket, I found it was best to hold the assembly in place and tighten down, keeping the spinning to a minimum.

I used some fluid from TSC that was Deere spec, for the first fill and use. I have since gone with hy-gard, it's expensive.

red68racer

phonepics 063.jpgphonepics 064.jpgphonepics 061.jpg
hello
well spent afternoon getting strainer out , pb blaster , long nose needle nose , pull picks , etc i found brownish sludge ,little peices of debri , etc filter going to be replaced . i then started on the bad hydraulic leak around the transmission side box see pics, ? leaking around outer cover , pretty heavy running , drips when not ,when i take off whats coming out ? ok next removed main plug , some water then brownish fluid . hope lots flushing gets moisture out.

red68racer

john deere project

hello
took both canister filers off also , not real bad , brownish contamined hydraulic oil , and hose from strainer to where it connects was kinked shut , dont see how any fluid went through .phonepics 065.jpgphonepics 062.jpg

Attachments

• phonepics 059.jpg
    phonepics 059.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 102
  • phonepics 041.jpg
    phonepics 041.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 102

lantraxco

Okay, that first picture of the filter head, on the left side at the bottom of the kidney shaped port you can just see the stop rod for the one pressure regulator spool, you're that close I would try to pull the plug that the stop rod is part of, try to get that spool out, make sure the spring is good, replace any o-rings with the correct ones, make sure the spool moves freely. That's what sets the supercharge pressure for the hydraulic pump inlet.

Scout_1969

You may have removed the tube shown, I saw the end of it in the second picture after getting this image, TP6675_________UN01JAN94.jpg

Also; The short hose between the screen fitting and filter base, wrinkled for me slightly but is not bad. I think this is due to the pieces on each end not lining up exactly.

red68racer

removing part thats leaking on side transmission

You may have removed the tube shown, I saw the end of it in the second picture after getting this image, View attachment 142980

Also; The short hose between the screen fitting and filter base, wrinkled for me slightly but is not bad. I think this is due to the pieces on each end not lining up exactly.
hello
the leak is on this peice , left rear side /toward rear drips not running -pours when running . was going remove clean ---replace gaskets and any bad orings phonepics 063.jpg

Last edited:

red68racer

hello
the short hose was replaced with real long hose , ran up around frame then back down , it was totally crimped , the ends dont line up

Scout_1969

The short hose I was refering to is #4 on the diagram, I'm not sure we are talking about the same hose, it's the on the end of the trans screen fitting

Attachments

• TP10857________UN01JAN94.jpg
    TP10857________UN01JAN94.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

red68racer

john deere reverer control box

The short hose I was refering to is #4 on the diagram, I'm not sure we are talking about the same hose, it's the on the end of the trans screen fitting

hello
the hose we are talking about is the same , thats where long hose was from screen filter to caniister filter , it went up then back down and was crimped.
i treid getting control revere box off , loosened two bottom screws --one on side , still looking for other mounting screws .

red68racer

hello
treid removing reservse control box , got loose and the shaft that leaves reverer to clutch pivot arm , the arm has a shear pin in it that goes in shaft . i am going to try drill it out and knock arm off shaft . anyone done this before ?