• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310A backhoe strarting project

red68racer

he.llo everyone
i went bought a as is john deere 310a backhoe , hired rollback , hit a bridge cause overheight , blew tire out on rollback , and had to pay guy with rollback more money put battery in , new switch , wire to injection pump , sprayed wd40 down in intake and let set 24 hrs , then
went to crank , nothing , no fuel to injectiors , mechanical pump bad , replaced with facet low pressure pump , still no fuel , pulled top of injector pump off , solniod working , took pump off and carried to rebuild local shop. today sprayed whole machine purple power , pressured washed ,lots of grease /oil/yellow paint , then i seen bell housing cracked behind engine ,looked recent , hitting a bridge not good !!! from top to about halfway down .

so the fun has started , need housing used ?plus check clutch disc /pressure plate ,etc? was told from helper trans was strating to slip from helper b bought it from .

Delmer

Wow, the only way it could possibly get worse is if you tried to fix it. From everything so far, I'd say don't spend another cent on it.

red68racer

hello john deere 310a project

Wow, the only way it could possibly get worse is if you tried to fix it. From everything so far, I'd say don't spend another cent on it.

hello
going to get price for used bell housing , new clutch/pressuress plate , bearing . i bought backhoe real cheap ,crap metal price , so it maybe worth fixing if engine good , also big hydraulic pump on front has been replaced , few hydraulic cyclinders been replaced or redone , desent tires ,about half hydraulic hoses replaced , so overall desent shape .

Delmer

I'd love to be wrong. It looks like that has a reverser between the transmission and clutch. The reverser contains wet clutches that shift from forward to reverse without the dry clutch. Those are more likely to fail than the dry clutch, if that's what it is.

How did it hit a bridge and not bend a hydraulic cylinder? How does the roll off driver like his new bridge?:D

red68racer

john deere 310a project

I'd love to be wrong. It looks like that has a reverser between the transmission and clutch. The reverser contains wet clutches that shift from forward to reverse without the dry clutch. Those are more likely to fail than the dry clutch, if that's what it is.

How did it hit a bridge and not bend a hydraulic cylinder? How does the roll off driver like his new bridge?:D

hello
will find out when get injection pump back on , being rebuilt . i have not got backhoe running so not sure of moving and hydraulics . the guy was a helper of a farm , he said foward / reverse was weak and hydraulics was not working . when i get it running , hopefully hydraulics work and transmission works .
far as hitting bridge , we winched on doudle axle rollback with backhoe boom chained up , the driver said he wouldnt be overheight , big mistake !! i suggested let bucket down on bed of rollback by winching it closer at front of bed . hittirng bridge broke strap across backhoe at front , by mile****ting top of boom and raise front of backhoe up , also cracked bellhousing . then couple miles later tire on outer of rollback blew out , two much weight for double axle rollback only using rear axle .

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
What happened to the bridge and what was the legal ramifications of that? Keep us posted on your tractors progress. One thing for sure, when you get it done you will be a lot more knowledgable about how it works. We all know it costs money for an education.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If the reverser is weak and hydraulics don't work you are in need of a charge pump. You'll be right there when you change the trans bell housing. The pump supplys oil under pressure to the radial piston pump up front and also to the clutch packs for the trans. First off though look at the filters and see what is in them

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I got cut off...! Anyhoo often when the brakes fail on these machines it will take out the hyd system because the filters won't remove stuff under 20 micron (I think) so look carefully at the debris of any.

lantraxco

Suction strainer is most likely plugged solid, nobody ever services them, or for that matter changes the lifeblood, er, oil in the transmission.

If the brakes have gone to metal, part it out. I did a 510 that the owner insisted on running for "just one more job" even after the hydraulic pump packed it in due to metal contamination. We ended up pulling that down to the bare transmisison case and went back up, *every* component that came apart was disassembled and cleaned, all lines purged, pumps rebuilt, all cylinders cleaned and repacked... added an extra 10 micron spinon for the hydraulic pump supercharge and still the last time I saw it three years later the filters were catching silver from somewhere. If the brakes are down to the cast iron backer, it's a lost cause.

red68racer

john deere 310A project update need help

Suction strainer is most likely plugged solid, nobody ever services them, or for that matter changes the lifeblood, er, oil in the transmission.

If the brakes have gone to metal, part it out. I did a 510 that the owner insisted on running for "just one more job" even after the hydraulic pump packed it in due to metal contamination. We ended up pulling that down to the bare transmisison case and went back up, *every* component that came apart was disassembled and cleaned, all lines purged, pumps rebuilt, all cylinders cleaned and repacked... added an extra 10 micron spinon for the hydraulic pump supercharge and still the last time I saw it three years later the filters were catching silver from somewhere. If the brakes are down to the cast iron backer, it's a lost cause.

hello
i installed rebuilt injection pump , clean lines , new washers , opened screw at each one injector at a time to bleed air . then done all 4 and treid cranking her up , turned fast then slowed , the hydraulic pump was building pressure so i run wire to it , to release pressure . ok now engine spins over good , see smoke and smell diesel but she want bust off . i sprayed little either same thing . anyone helpful ideas ? timing 180 degrees off / adjust valves - not sure firing order ? pulled valve cover -very clean - did not adust just checking valves moving -etc
thanks for any help

lantraxco

Did you actually get good clean fuel at all four injector fittings? It takes a long time to get the air out of empty injector lines.

Delmer

When you removed the pump, how did you time the engine before taking the pump off?

And how did you time it when you put it back on?

If you had the line in the pump window lined up before it came off, had a pin in the flywheel, didn't move the engine in between, and had the line lined up when it went back on, you should be good. That's the method I know, not sure if it applies to your engine, sorry.

red68racer

No, sounds like you have it. Might be a timing issue, not sure.
hello
i agree that timing must be off , going to recheck it , finding the hole in flywheel tdc is a pain . then look at injector pump side window marks . maybe i am 180 degrees off ? would like to check vavles clearence also , dont know firing order , engine number 417516T TYPE 42100T 07

red68racer

hello
well today got backhoe running , took injection pump backoff , took starter off , found correct timming hole . i then put all back together , bleed lines , she fired right up !!!!! ok treid hydraulics , nothing works , seen fluid leaking from pump next to hydraulic filer , pretty good stream . so would you take off and see blown o rings ??

lantraxco

Earlier you posted about transmission issues. does it drive in forward and reverse? Did you change the bell housing or whatever was cracked? Have you pulled the suction strainer and filters to check for clogging? This ain't a two line gear pump system, you have to do some detective work to diagnose the problem usually.

red68racer

john deere 310a project got running , no hydraulics

Earlier you posted about transmission issues. does it drive in forward and reverse? Did you change the bell housing or whatever was cracked? Have you pulled the suction strainer and filters to check for clogging? This ain't a two line gear pump system, you have to do some detective work to diagnose the problem usually.
hello
got it running , tried hydraulics nothing , but seen steady stream of hydraulic fluid coming out around filter area . i did try to drive it , so transmission dont know . the bell housing is cracked about 1/4 way so maybe weld it with nickel rods . when we loaded on rollback we used a bobcat to pick up outriggers , front bucket , and backhoe to chain them up to load it . i think the pressure from picking them up has done damage even using levers on each as we done it.