• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40 G Problem with no left swing.

D 40G

Well I figured out what you meant by pushing the button on the solenoid end. Right swing works fine left swing does nothing. At first I couldn't push it in so I took it back apart and pushed on a solid surface to break it free. Then reassembled and it doesn't do anything. I never had any of the cap parts out. The o-ring holds them in. I can't see any parts I lost?

D 40G

Could a part called The solenoid controlled variable orifice have fallen out? It is really hard to see what the coil part plugs into being so close to the frame. Probably have to take it back apart and use a mirror to see what could be missing with the coil assembly removed.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I remember a stream of oil used to often wash small parts (small unseen parts) away when I took the valves apart. Have a good look around, take it apart again and make sure everything is spotlessly clean.

D 40G

I took it back apart and used a mirror to look at what the solenoid seats on. I can't see anything that could have fallen out when I pulled the solenoid out. I have the solenoid plunger pointed in the right direction. All o-rings are there and properly installed. It doesn't leak. I did use a new o-ring inside the coil assembly and it is sealing or it would leak. Could it be something inside the valve that I didn't touch? I am beginning to wonder if the coil was bad but I did do a continuity check and the bottom coil had continuity and the top didn't so the coil had to be bad. No dirt inside and I used lint free paper towels when cleaning the parts. I was afraid to pull the right swing coil assembly out to see if any parts fall out since the coil wires aren't held by anything and didn't want to risk a wire falling out and then needing a second replacement coil. Hydraulic oil pours out non-stop when the coil is removed making it a hassle to work on. I lost every drop of hydraulic oil when it was apart waiting for the new coil. Had 5 gallon buckets catching it. Now have 20 gallons of fresh hydraulic oil in. I looked for any tiny parts in the sand around the area I was working on and even used a long bar magnet to search for a tiny part. Found rust flakes and not much else in the sand. Now have a big piece of cardboard under the work area. Is there a way to stop hydraulic fluid from pouring out while i take it apart without pumping the tank full back into the 5 gallon buckets It came in?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
First thing I would do before working on an "F" series machine was to install a terminal strip where the wiring met the valve coils. This just made everything easier down the road. Hooking/unhooking was a breeze and it also provided a good test point.

Check your resistance on the coils. I don't know the value, but its not close to zero and not infinite either. The way you removed that pilot coil clump was a good one, other than the oil leak it caused. You should not have lost anything. (far as I can remember)

When I worked on the coils, I would remove the whole pilot section. I remember it being held on with 4 Allen head cap screws. When the pilot section came off, the oil streamed out of a little 1/8" hole in the face of the main valve body. The sharpened end of a pencil fit that hole perfectly and stopped the leak. Then I'd work on the coils on a bench or other semi-suitable surface.

I can imagine messing with those coils when they are 40+ years old would be something you'd like to avoid. They were bad enough when the JLG was few years old. And yes, even brand new machines messed up on a regular basis.

D 40G

I carefully examined the parts breakdown and it looks like a poppet part #355658 could have fallen out when I removed the coil assembly. I searched for over an hour with my metal detector on the ground where I took it apart and no luck finding it if it did indeed fall out. From what you remember no parts fell out when you removed the coil and coil housing from the valve? It seems like I would have seen it hit the dirt if it did fall out. The poppet is on page 43 of the manual. Item #13. From the breakdown it sure looks like this little part could fall out when removing the coil housing. I'm going out to remove the coil assembly again and try to take a picture of what is there.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Yes. I looked up on an exploded view, and the part I remember falling out on me was a poppet. JLG part #7000423

and I think it might be too light to made of anything magnetic.

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
These JLG numbers are coming from a fax I saved that I received in 1988 from McConnellsberg PA

I believe hanging onto stuff that long is a mental defect btw.

D 40G

I took it back apart. I removed both swing coil assemblies .No poppet visible. No parts fell out of the right swing coil after removing it. On the G model this valve assembly is about 2 inches away from the frame. I tried a flashlight and mirror and still couldn't see if the poppet is there. It doesn't seem like the left swing poppet would fall out if the right swing poppet didn't fall out when I removed the coil assembly. It is a total hassle trying to remove these coils with hydraulic fluid dripping down my arms and all over. They didn't think about coil replacement when laying out the components of this machine. I hope the coil isn't ruined by getting soaked with hydraulic fluid. I'm still not convinced the poppet fell out. It seems like the hydraulic fluid would have held it in place being mounted horizontally.

D 40G

Is the poppet deeply recessed in the hole or can you normally see it inside its hole? As hard as it is to see in the machine I can't see one in either solenoid hole. The right swing did work pushing the button on the end so does that automatically mean the pin on the left swing isn't making contact with the poppet because it is missing? Gonna take it back apart losing a quart of hydraulic fluid mostly all over me and try a magnifying mirror and lots of light to see If I can see down the hole where its supposed to be. Also are these valves difficult to rebuild? Only thing I've done with hydraulics is rebuild all the hydraulic cylinders except the main lift cylinder and replace lines as they blew. Kind of intimidating never having worked on them.

Last edited:

D 40G

I called the JLG dealer and he said the number for the poppet is not a good number. I also found the same number on a 40H parts list. I'm pretty sure I will have to remove the swing valve assy and put a seal kit in it. I can't see the poppet on either the left or right swing valve after removing the coils. I really don't think It popped out and I lost it.
On the 40H parts list it says number 7004831 is a seal kit. It lists a bunch of seals included to rebuild the solenoid valve assy. The JLG dealer says that number is a seal servo end cap. That doesn't sound like a seal kit.
Is there a way to disconnect a hose and plug it to stop all the hydraulic fluid from draining out so I can remove the solenoid valve assy? I really don't want to pump out all 20 gallons I just put in it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

D 40G

Any Idea where I can get a seal kit for the Racine valve? The local JLG dealer called JLG and they aren't wanting to try to find one for my old machine. I thought part #7004831 was right but the dealer says it comes up as a seal servo end cap. The 40H manual has a parts breakdown for the Racine valve and thats where I got the number for the seal kit. Every part in the 40H breakdown looks identical to the Racine manual you sent me. The Racine seal kit is part #493951. Googling them doesn't come up with anything.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. I normally get a notification when someone posts in a thread like this. I didn't this time.

Seal kit for between the servo/pilot section and the main valve body - JLG #7004832

Seal Kit for the servo (pilot) section - JLG #7004831 (I see I had the same number JLG doesn't like)

Individual seals for servo/pilot section

3960091 seal washer
7004810 O-ring
7002392 O-ring
7002382 O-ring
7002227 O-ring
7004815 (seal plate that houses the o-rings)
7002282 O-ring
7002389 O-ring

Last edited: