• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40 G Problem with no left swing.

D 40G

I have a 40G that will not swing to the left. And I had two wires come unconnected from their spade connectors and don't know which way to connect them. I guessed wrong and now the machine isn't working right. I need a wiring diagram if anyone can help please.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I worked on 40G's in the early 80's, but I don't have a manual for anything in the G series. They were sort of a half way point or step between the 40F and the 40H. Late model 40F, early model 40H.

The valve locations varied a lot on early JLG's, I swear no two were ever built the same back then. For the solenoid valves, the best way to identify valves is to unplug a wire at a time and see which function stops working, then mark it for future reference.

The proportional valves (lift/swing/drive) are easier. The Drive has largest hoses, the swing has extra pressure regulators built onto the valve to limit side force, and the other valve is lift.

Where did the wires come off their spade connectors? At the joystick or at the valve?

D 40G

I followed your advice and fixed my wiring problem. The wires for the swing, lift, and drive solenoids are connected with spade lugs. I replaced the lugs as they were coming apart on their own from Deutz diesel vibration. I narrowed the problem down to the swing solenoid valve coil being open. No continuity to the coil on the left swing but it does have continuity on the right swing which works fine. Do you know where I can get a coil for the Racine valves? The coil is replaceable hopefully. I do have the factory parts manual but it doesn't list coil part numbers.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Thank you. I can't even find a solenoid that looks similar.

What you are showing there is a whole assembly, including a bunch of hydraulic parts of the pilot valve.
If you pull that cover off where the wires are peaking out, you will find a white spool of thin wire. That spool is the replacement part. I had a bunch at one time, I gave them all away to people on here. I've been busy, haven't looked up the part number yet.

D 40G

Part number for the coil - JLG #7000406
Thank you so very much. It took a pair of Vice grips and a small pipe wrench to twist and twist and then i could pry it open. You are most likely one of the few people in the world that could help me with this issue AND find a part number. We are about 3000 miles away from each other. I'm two years older than you and we remember how sharing this knowledge 30 years ago would have been impossible without the internet. My local dealer in Sanford, Fl can help me with their coil services for $129 (and you gave numerous ones away to help others), from what i see online. .
Alberta Canada is absolutely beautiful from the picture that comes up on the net. Thanks again for your valuable help. My 39 year old JLG 40G I've had for 22 years will help keep me safe again.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
You are very welcome D 40G. I'm always glad to help, that's what keeps me here.

I collected a huge amount of knowledge over the years, most of which is now useless knowledge.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to use some of it again.

D 40G

Now that I have the new coil installed still no left swing. I have coil continuity and power to the coil when left swing is tried. It looks like I assembled it correctly from the manual you sent me. Is there a way to check if the solenoid is actuating like putting a stethoscope on the coil and actuating it? I'm pretty clueless to what to check next.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Does the function operate when you push in the little button on the end of the valve section? It should when running on ground control.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
If the function works when pushing the button, the next step is centering that valve.

Centering
On the proportional valve bank, on the bottom side, you will find three 1/2" lock nuts around Allen head screws in the middle of 3 big hex's, one on each section.
Loosen the lock nut on the swing section
With the engine running on ground control, turn the screw in until the tone of the hydraulics changes, signaling the start of that function.
Turn the screw in the other direction until the tone of the hydraulics changes again, counting the number of turns of the screw from one to the other.
Turn the screw to the half way point between the two, and lock it down.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
All it takes is one little chuck of dirt or guck to stop things from working when you have one of those pilot sections apart. They are a little bit sensitive.

D 40G

I would assume the left swing switch should be held down while pushing the button on the valve? I pushed the valve button without holding the left swing switch and nothing happens. I can't reach the valve button while holding the left swing switch down at the same time. I could try a piece of wood to hold the valve button while holding the switch down.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
No, just the little button should activate the function while on ground control