• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

is there such a thing?

cr500

I wouldnt be too supprised if one was to come out. With the population of 400 ton truck increasing, there will be more of a market. When a D11 has to push a load dumped from a 400 tonne truck, it has to take a few bites at it, from one side or the other, which means it isnt quite as efficient as most of the pushing will be done by one track. I have heard that due to this, the 575 Komatsus are starting to get a few more orders again.
The average size of mines is growing getting deeper, with more overburden removal and all other machines are getting bigger, I would think a D12 will make sense if Komatsu starts to sell a few more 575s.

CatYelloBlooded

Occupation
Shop Mechanic
As a Cat fan, I've asked a lot of questions about this. Some say there was a prototype made and i don't doubt it. I'd almost be willing to bet there's one somewhere near tucson right now. I do know for a fact that out track tooling that came out with the release of the D11 is made to accomadate a much larger undercarriage say like a D12? Cat had something in mind then for sure let alone what they are planning now. Possibly an electric drive? I'm anxious to see.

mntman552

gettin it all over

If an operator of a haul truck leaves enough dirt on top that you would need a dozer bigger than a 10 then you need to find some new truck drivers. I think our mine is gonna be gettins some 400 ton liehberrs for the dirt run and I can't really figure that out since every other truck is a Cat.

Turbo21835

If an operator of a haul truck leaves enough dirt on top that you would need a dozer bigger than a 10 then you need to find some new truck drivers. I think our mine is gonna be gettins some 400 ton liehberrs for the dirt run and I can't really figure that out since every other truck is a Cat.

I doubt a D11+ size dozers would be purchased for pushing truck piles. Most of the D11s and Komatsu super dozers are used in strip mining. Mostly for reclamation work behind the big drag lines. There is a mining company in southern Ohio that uses D11s to strip overburden off the coal seam. Then they load it with 992 and 994 loaders. Im sure there are many other mines that use big dozers in similar situations.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I doubt a D11+ size dozers would be purchased for pushing truck piles. Most of the D11s and Komatsu super dozers are used in strip mining. Mostly for reclamation work behind the big drag lines. There is a mining company in southern Ohio that uses D11s to strip overburden off the coal seam. Then they load it with 992 and 994 loaders. Im sure there are many other mines that use big dozers in similar situations.

I hear that Oxford has like 40 something D11's...in addition to the dozens of other smaller dozers, loaders, trucks, shovels, and support equipment they have running around at over a dozen pits. I'd like to go see all of them working at once.

alco

It really depends on the dump you are working, that's not the case in every situation. Our dumps require most of the material to be pushed since we don't work high lifts due to compaction issues. The few high dumps we have run will allow you to dump over the edge, but when you are padding in a 1 meter lift, you need to push....no two ways about it.

By the way, really sorry to hear about the Liebherrs. Sounds like the bean counters aren't looking at the big picture, just purchase price. You can almost buy two T282Bs for the price of one 797B.

Brian

CarterKraft

D16?

My dad swears to have seen a double dozer, two D-somethings with one blade and one operator that were attached in the middle when they were building the new Arkansas Razor back stadium in the early 90's. I wasn't ever sure until I saw the D16 that Holt had built for the King Ranch. Anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Attachments

• pics 089.jpg
    pics 089.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 8,766
  • pics 090.jpg
    pics 090.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 8,543
  • pics 091.jpg
    pics 091.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 8,480

Deas Plant

D16?????????????

Hi, CarterKraft.
Well, that is the first time I have ever heard those Buster Peterson creations called 'D16's'. Most people called them 'Siamese' D8's.

Peterson actually built three of those outfits. The first 2 were normal clearance and the one that you have posted photos of was the last one built.

Quote:

"My dad swears to have seen a double dozer, two D-somethings with one blade and one operator that were attached in the middle "

Again, Buster Peterson of Peterson Engineering, a California Cat distributor, was the perpetrator. He designed and built 2 separate arrangements for working 2 Cat D9's in tandem with one operator. I am attaching photos of both arrangements. The nose-to-tail arrangement was primarily for push-loading scrapers and was called the DD9G, or later the DD9H. The side-by-side arrangement was called the SxS D9G, or later the SxS D9H.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cat DD9G dozer_1S.jpg
    Cat DD9G dozer_1S.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 15,271
  • Cat SxS D9G dozer working_1S_WS.jpg
    Cat SxS D9G dozer working_1S_WS.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 16,402
  • Cat D9H SxS dozer_1S.jpg
    Cat D9H SxS dozer_1S.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 20,438
  • Cat DD9G-SxS D9G comp photo_1S_Acmoc.jpg
    Cat DD9G-SxS D9G comp photo_1S_Acmoc.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 9,699
  • Cat DD9H dozer_1.jpg
    Cat DD9H dozer_1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 9,820

CarterKraft

Well, that is some really interesting stuff.

So your saying the pictures I showed were of a "Buster Conversion", not a Holt modification, maybe I read to much into the statement.

I know the root plows and rakes were Holt designed, I assumed the dozer was too.

Gavin84w

CR500 hits the nail on the head. And as for doubting D11 would be used for pushing dumps and new operators are required when loads are not tipped over the edge i think you guys need to open your eyes a bit.

With Cats marketing prowess a D12 would sell, no question, is a machine of this size required, i think it might be a bit closer to yes than no now but i doubt Cat will do it, i have heard some powertrain work has been done for one but thats about it and if they had built one i dont think it would have ventured out of Tucson.

Deas Plant

Loads not dumped over edge.

Hi, Folks.
I'm with Gavin 84W on this one about loads not dumped over the edge. In some situations, especially when building rock fills, the last thing you want is to have the load, especially the whole load dumped over the edge. When the load is dumped on top and PUSHED over, some of the 'fines' are sifted out and remain on top of the fill, giving you a smooth surface for dump trucks, etc., to drive on and giving some softer material for a smoother ride for the poor, over-worked, under-paid, ill-treated and unappreciated dozer operator.

NO 'LOL' on this one.

OneWelder

Deas
or anybody with some info.
Back in the 70tys or 80tys Con Expo was in Texas. At that time a rumor was flying around New England that one of the pit owners had bought a machine from Cat.Suppose to have had a 25Ft blade,closed circuit TV to see blade, and I thought they refered to it as a D-10 - The rest of the story pretty much fit that "D-16" He supposedly bought one, at the show - but it never showed up - they claimed it had to many problems and Cat stopped production. Was this thing ever seriously considered for production? This guy was known for his Tall tales,(which I have always it was) But on the orther hand if he thought it would work and be profitable- he would have tried one.

Deas Plant

Cat with 25 foot blade??????????

Hi, OneWelder.
It is entirely possible that somebody purchased a Cat with a blade around 24-25 feet wide in the 1980's but I doubt it was an experimental 'D16' or any other machine larger than a D11.

There were several blades made for the original D10's and the D11's that were around that sort of width, mainly for coal stockpile work. I ran a D11N fitted with a 24 foot wide, 9 foot high coal blade. It sure did block out a fair bit of scenery in front of the tractor. It also moved a bit of coal in each pass.

Other than that, I know nothing 'cos Cat, for reasons best known only to itself, (LOL) does not consult with me on its various research projects.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Deas
or anybody with some info.
Back in the 70tys or 80tys Con Expo was in Texas. At that time a rumor was flying around New England that one of the pit owners had bought a machine from Cat.Suppose to have had a 25Ft blade,closed circuit TV to see blade, and I thought they refered to it as a D-10 - The rest of the story pretty much fit that "D-16" He supposedly bought one, at the show - but it never showed up - they claimed it had to many problems and Cat stopped production. Was this thing ever seriously considered for production? This guy was known for his Tall tales,(which I have always it was) But on the orther hand if he thought it would work and be profitable- he would have tried one.

Any idea who that was that supposedly bought it?

rare ss

sorry to drag up an old thread, but i heard a rumer that there is a "D12 prototype" of some sort heading over to WA soon, anyone know of CAT developing one yet?

Seabass

I think Cat would have made D12, D13's to compete with the 575's but its really a small market (for now). I think if Cat thought they could make a buck they would do it. That said, machinery has been growing in size, not shrinking, so who knows what the future holds. Personally it think it would be neat to see one, even better to run one.

rare ss

there may be an uncreasing need for a large sized dozer as some sites down here are starting to run autonomas haul trucks with require the use of backhoe spec diggers hence sitting on a blasted bench which needs abit of prep to work

thought someone may know of something in the pipline

catken

It won't be long and all the D8 size and up will be electric like the D7. Just a matter of time.
That D7 seems to be working out pretty well now from what I understand. Look for the D8 next!