• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

is there such a thing?

alco

It won't be long and all the D8 size and up will be electric like the D7. Just a matter of time.
That D7 seems to be working out pretty well now from what I understand. Look for the D8 next!

I believe the D10 is the next intended machine to convert.

Even though I have heard the D7E is working well, I hear they're having issues selling them That's based on the purchase price being as high as it is, and the fact that contractors aren't seemingly able to charge as much as a D8, for a D7.........even though it will do almost as much work as a D8. So they seem to find it a better option to buy a D8 and be able to charge for it.

ih100

I believe the D10 is the next intended machine to convert.

Even though I have heard the D7E is working well, I hear they're having issues selling them That's based on the purchase price being as high as it is, and the fact that contractors aren't seemingly able to charge as much as a D8, for a D7.........even though it will do almost as much work as a D8. So they seem to find it a better option to buy a D8 and be able to charge for it.

Don't know where this came from, but the next E was going to be a D6 but it's been shelved for commercial reasons. There are no 8, 9, or 10 E's in the pipeline, and no D 12 of any complexion. The 10 was never in the frame for electric drive.

CAT793

There are no 8, 9, or 10 E's in the pipeline

I think one way or another you are Mistaken...... Future Dozers in a particular size may or may not be electric drive but there is a future model in the pipeline!!!!

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
D13? Oh my God. D12, yes, D14, yes. D13 gotta be bad luck. Anybody know of any company building anything and labeling it 13 anything?

alco

Don't know where this came from, but the next E was going to be a D6 but it's been shelved for commercial reasons. There are no 8, 9, or 10 E's in the pipeline, and no D 12 of any complexion. The 10 was never in the frame for electric drive.

That came from the pictures I have seen of the D10 electric drive test machine at Tinaja Hills. I was told once they proved the concept, the machine would be the next to be released.

ih100

That came from the pictures I have seen of the D10 electric drive test machine at Tinaja Hills. I was told once they proved the concept, the machine would be the next to be released.

I won't say it hasn't been tried in a 10 at some point, butif you read any book about the history of Cat or any other manufacturer, there are a lot of interesting photos of test beds, concept machines and prototypes that were never intended for production or were merely used to test a concept. I'd be interested to see this picture of a 10E, if it's available.

Cat793, considering how many models and variants of dozer Cat build, it would be more of a surprise if there wasn't a future model in the pipeline. It's interesting that the D6E which has been built, trialled and canned (hopefully temporarily) hasn't been spotted, photographed and broadcast to the world by truckers. Not as interesting as a rumour of a D12, perhaps. Unless you know for sure there is a monster on the way, that is.

alco

I realise there have been, and will be many test beds that will never see public exposure. I was told by the person who showed me the picture, that the smaller dozers were not an area they were going to focus on for electric drive, as it was simply too costly to build small machines with the elecric drive system. Instead, the plan was to focus on larger dozers as they felt the cost could be absorbed more easily.

I figure the cost of producing the machines, and the fact that contractors can't pass the extra cost off to the customers easily is likely what killed the electric 6.

ih100

I realise there have been, and will be many test beds that will never see public exposure. I was told by the person who showed me the picture, that the smaller dozers were not an area they were going to focus on for electric drive, as it was simply too costly to build small machines with the elecric drive system. Instead, the plan was to focus on larger dozers as they felt the cost could be absorbed more easily.

I figure the cost of producing the machines, and the fact that contractors can't pass the extra cost off to the customers easily is likely what killed the electric 6.

It was largely that Cat realised they wouldn't be able to pass the development costs to the customers as the D6 market segment is already competitive. I don't know about over there, but here the D7E is making a good name for itself.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
We have a Cat D12. When our D5 is working along side of our D7, doesnt that make a D12.:D :drinkup

Reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell back in the day: He did a lot of large scale blasting and one time his company was extremely stretched thin with all the work going on.So he hired on this supposed great blasting foreman who just literally got off the boat.My Dad showed him on paper the depth and on center layouts of the holes he wanted done.From memory,I believe it was 8' deep.So after a week of drilling,my Dad comes and checks the holes.Every one is 5' deep.My Dad says to him ''I told you 8' deep,what's going on?'' He replies ''I used a 3' drill and then a 5' drill--3'+5'= 8',no?'' My Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
Idon't know a thing about drilling , but tuney ' s last post confused me . Please explain .

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I scrapped out a walking steam powered electrically driven tracked dragline in the 70's, saw a lot of the changes being made to Cat from then as the Allis/Fiat Allis and IH/Dresser units died out. Biggest monster I saw work very well was a HD51 Allis, absolutely HUGE on conventional styled rails. Cat came out with the D10 series high tracks not long after I got out of heavy machinery mechanicing and not unhappy I ot away from them. A cripple as big as this would be a rail eating POS, no way it wouldn't be destructive to itself, by the time they get htis big a Letourneau articulated rubber tired dozer or loader does as well if not better.

mitch504

Idon't know a thing about drilling , but tuney ' s last post confused me . Please explain .

It's simple really, no matter what you are drilling. If you use a 3' long bit, it drills a 3' deep hole. If you follow it up w/ a 5' long bit, it only drills a 5' deep hole, not 8' deep.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator

It's simple really, no matter what you are drilling. If you use a 3' long bit, it drills a 3' deep hole. If you follow it up w/ a 5' long bit, it only drills a 5' deep hole, not 8' deep.

Then of course, there was the farmer who hired two guys to put in fence posts. At the end of the day, one guy had put in 25, but the second guy only got 3, The farmer asks the second guy why he got so many fewer than the first guy, and he says, "You should see how much of them he left sticking out of the ground!" :D

chroniekon

I worked in a tire shop several years ago. We sent a part time helper (high school kid) out on a service call one day to pump up a truck tire so they could get the truck back to the shop to repair the tire. He filled the portable air tank from the shop compressor (about 150 psi) but then was just hanging around. We asked him why he wasn't on his way yet. His reply was that he was waiting for the compressor to fill up again so he could get 300 psi in the tank!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
61BG, could have been a 41, been almost 30 years now, was the most massive conventional rail style dozer I had ever seen.