• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In the market...used excavator

skata

What I will use it for - This excavator will be used for clearing blackberries, digging small ponds, replacing culverts, cleaning drainage ditches, building dirt road, moving gravel, moving scrap metal/junk, skidding logs, and clearing small mudslides....this machine won't be used too often, but often enough to warrant buying one and not renting consistently. I am not worried about moving it too much as it will sit at the farm...

!
Honestly, from what you describe you want to do, I'd be getting a compact track loader.

JerryUpNorth

I bought an old 1991 Cat E70B [ 24" tracks ] that was pretty beat up for 15K, and put a boot 5K into it fixing it up [ probably 10K of free labor ]. It is 50hp and weighs in a little north of 8 tons with the blade according to the specs. She fits into my barn with a 10' door for so I can work on her inside and store for the winter. I have a neighbor close by that has a Cat 320 [ think 36" tracks "] excavator and a Cat B5 dozer. Both of us drive on concrete pads/floors and do no damage. That is not saying you can't with metal tracks. You might want to stay off asphalt, especially when it's hot. Lawn is sand and gravel base, and you can drive across it with no problem. If you want to turn on dirt/grass , you have to lift up with the bucket and spin the tracks so you do not dig in. But I get by. So, don't over look long lasting don't rot in the sun metal tracks.

LCA078

Skiddin- You're way more knowledgeable and experienced than I was when I jumped into buying my own piece of heavy equipment for hobby use (ie- not trying to make money with it) so you'll find the right machine with patience. I bought mine at auction but looked long and hard to find an older machine (no emissions, few electronics, etc.) that was in decent shape. Spent more than I wanted but I'm glad in the end.

Since you're looking at the smaller side of an excavator with a very reasonable price point (ie- you're willing to pay for quality and condition), put feelers out to the local dealers, construction guys, and better, small equipment rental companies (the big-chain rental guys just auction everything off to not deal with tire-kickers) and let them know you're in the market. If you're not in a rush, you might get lucky fishing that way.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I bought my Bobcat E42 mini-ex after I figured out my Deere tractor couldn't dig trenches LOL. An excavator is mostly a one trick pony, having said that my E42 is quite useful when the tractor can't do a job.

skiddinlogs51

I’m not a professional, but a seasoned amateur so please take my opinion for what it’s worth. It sounds like we have similar needs and uses.

1. I started with a Bobcat e42/angle blade/extendible arm. Now have Bobcat E50/standard arm/fixed blade. Difference in machines is more that would indicate on paper. Although total weight between both are very similar the e50 is substantially more capable. Tracks and undercarriage are substantially heavier on the e50 give it a much more stable platform.
2. Fixed blade on e50 is substantially beefier than angle on e42, plus less maintenance to worry about. This should be a worthy consideration regardless of brand you decide on. The angle was convenient from time to time, but it was also one of my maintenance issues with the e42. I don’t miss it. Machines in this weight class certainly benefit from the stability from a blade.
3. For this size machine and intended use, I prefer rubber tracks. I like the fact that I can drive my machine virtually anywhere without fear of substantial damage. Concrete, workshop, grass, etc. only time I really had concerns was doing demo work in broken concrete. I’m careful when doing woods work…logs and stumps can be issues.
4. Standard length/fixed arm maximizes lift lift capacity of given platform. That is more important to me than reach.

Professional, for hire owners might have different opinions, but the above works for me.

Thank you for your input! I have a family friend that has a E50...I think that is what it is anyway...I used it a couple times on his property and really enjoyed it. Only used it for moving a boulder pile and moving logs around. Seemed capable. The weight is decent on those too.

skiddinlogs51

Skiddin- You're way more knowledgeable and experienced than I was when I jumped into buying my own piece of heavy equipment for hobby use (ie- not trying to make money with it) so you'll find the right machine with patience. I bought mine at auction but looked long and hard to find an older machine (no emissions, few electronics, etc.) that was in decent shape. Spent more than I wanted but I'm glad in the end.

Since you're looking at the smaller side of an excavator with a very reasonable price point (ie- you're willing to pay for quality and condition), put feelers out to the local dealers, construction guys, and better, small equipment rental companies (the big-chain rental guys just auction everything off to not deal with tire-kickers) and let them know you're in the market. If you're not in a rush, you might get lucky fishing that way.

Thank you for the idea! I have called a couple...some don't seem to take me seriously lol. Some seem a little sketch too...worn out machines that they bought at auction and want top dollar for. I like the idea of renting from star rentals or whatever it was called a machine that fits my needs and then eventually buy it from them.

skiddinlogs51

I bought my Bobcat E42 mini-ex after I figured out my Deere tractor couldn't dig trenches LOL. An excavator is mostly a one trick pony, having said that my E42 is quite useful when the tractor can't do a job.

I have gone back and forth numerous times around what will be my 1 machine to do everything OK. Looked at dozers for a while, then skid steers...excavator always seemed to pop up as the right decision for my needs.

My Kubota tractor does about everything I ask for it...just doesn't have the grunt for some situations etc. Backhoe attachment works well on it...was able to dig out my drainage ditches etc. Also have a box blade and rake. The brush hog does a good job, but only in certain situations/areas.

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
I sold my Howse rotary mower that I used on my compact tractor and bought a flail mower. Big difference. I can mow real close when I want to and much more maneuverable around trees. The down side is I can't mow in reverse.

skyking1

I have gone back and forth numerous times around what will be my 1 machine to do everything OK. Looked at dozers for a while, then skid steers...excavator always seemed to pop up as the right decision for my needs.

My Kubota tractor does about everything I ask for it...just doesn't have the grunt for some situations etc. Backhoe attachment works well on it...was able to dig out my drainage ditches etc. Also have a box blade and rake. The brush hog does a good job, but only in certain situations/areas.
See that is the thing, you don't have just one machine, that Kubota fills in all sorts of gaps so I agree an excavator is the right choice for you.

Allan M

Occupation
Skyking1: Yes, you are right. I started with a compact tractor/backhoe. The backhoe only has a break force of 2,200 pounds. The compact tractor is great for mowing, scraping/leveling roads, mulching/chipping with a PTO attachment, post hole digging and limited pipe trenching. It struggled taking out big bushes and small trees. The excavator can clear landscape, build roads, take down moderate trees without chainsawing first and my 2.5 ft across tree stumps without much trouble. The excavator is great for moving rock (many 1k to 2k pounds) and leveling pads. So, it's a luxury to have this U55-4 Kubota sitting at my disposal. I've also learned that with an enclosed cab you can fearlessly tackle large hornet nests as you clear brush. Not so on my tractor. BTW Skiddinlogs51, Skyking1 on this thread is one of the experts on this site willing to share knowledge on many topics: road building, maintenance, machine configuration, etc... He is a great guy to follow. I've learned a lot from him.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I've moved large live oak tree stumps with my E42 that my 66 HP tractor couldn't - not even close. I also prefer grading with the E42 over the box blade - you can't beat a blade and tracks. I can reach places with the hoe the tractor can't. However if I could only afford one piece of equipment, it would have to be a tractor. Owing both is fantastic. I do miss my dozer but I don't really have enough work for one.

skyking1

It really depends on your needs. If you need a loader bucket a mini ex is a really bad substitute. If you need PTO things it is even worse :)
I would be speculating, but I imagine that you got your dozer things done while you had it.

I had a line on a 120-2 Hitachi that needed a little work, and I talked myself out of it because I really don't need it. Part of me really wanted it though :)

skiddinlogs51

Also left out the Takeuchis. They have a 9 ton machine with a blade that can do pretty big things. For what you're doing I'd try go at least 8 ton machine to maybe a 120.

Thank you! I am kind of liking the idea of a 12ton machine...Seems like it would do the jobs I need it to do a little easier. That Bobcat E50 I am kind of liking...seems like things are hard to find right now, though...and priced pretty high like anything it seems like these days.

skiddinlogs51

See that is the thing, you don't have just one machine, that Kubota fills in all sorts of gaps so I agree an excavator is the right choice for you.

I appreciate your input! Would you mind if I sent you links to potential purchases for your advise? I pretty much have one shot at getting this right lol. Thank you!

skyking1

Ok, if you don't want to post them publicly here for some reason. I would consider just posting here more heads are better.

Allan M

Occupation
Thank you! I am kind of liking the idea of a 12ton machine...Seems like it would do the jobs I need it to do a little easier. That Bobcat E50 I am kind of liking...seems like things are hard to find right now, though...and priced pretty high like anything it seems like these days.
The Bobcat E50 is a 10.7K lb machine or about 5.4 ton. I think that's what you meant not a 24k lb machine or 12 ton. My Kubota U55-4 is a 12.8k lb machine or 6.4 ton.