• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Huber warco yea nay or depends

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/210812/item/IL9872/Huber-Warco-Graders-Motor_Grader-Minnesota

6d huber warco. I can find virtually no info on this so I suspect parts may be less available. I believe it has a 4.7 cummins I haven't gone to look yet, but may this week. Would have to ship 70 miles.
Owner said it starts runs and moves, it was labeled inoperative due to some functions not working. He got it 10 years ago in a job trade and used it seldom. Last job was grading the parking lot where it sits 3 years ago.'ve seen a few graders go for less than scrap but so far away shipping killed it..
I would use it some. I need to build a 1/2 mile driveway and possibly some snow removal with the occasional waterway etc. I have a well equipped fabrication shop and am a pretty fair mechanic from a previous life. Thougnts? Info?

Delmer

you want it, go for it. It might break eventually and you'll swear at me for not telling you to buy a Cat, which you can find cheap enough also. I'm not afraid of oddball old machinery, if you can look at it, and it starts ok, drives all wheels, doesn't leak too terrible from the engine and drivetrain, then you can figure out the other stuff. You'll get good at hydraulic hoses, and welding and grinding if you want to tighten it up. but it looks like it's usable as it is, with the usual small engine, and hydraulic issues.

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
I tend to be outbid on almost everything I'm interested in as I'm cheap. If I like it I'll still only go scrap price with shipping. That's why I usually end up with orphans as no one wants them. To me the orphans need to be simple so I can repair or make parts as none are ever available There is usually some info but I can find none on this one. Just not sure if I'm nuts to even consider this one, it's truly one of a kind it appears

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
Well then to be quite honest I'm glad you live in Washington

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
Seems like I'll become the huber warco expert which is a sad statement. Going up Saturday to familiarize myself with it. All I can find is a parts manual. Not sure I'll need a manual to tell me anything I need will be obsolete or will need to be made, repaired, or retrofitted. Should be a very simple machine.

Delmer

I understood it that this is still in the courtship phase, not a sealed deal yet. But it sounds like she's a good cook at least. :D

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I wasn't aware that Huber ever made a conventional frame grader. All that I've inspected looked like a tractor frame with the blade riding underneath and in the middle of the tractor frame. They are or were very common for the asphalt companies to own and use till completely worn out.

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
Alright went up to look at what I bought sight unseen. I did pretty dzmn well. It was listed as inoperative and apparently what it was is they couldn't get it started because of too small a battery while the company was there to take pics. Slightly different story than what I heard but irrelevant at this point. Starts, moves, all hydraulics work. Lots of items needing attention from my perspective but could operate as is. Dad found a tag on the seat, filled in by pen but I was able to read the date, 8-11-66. Interesting as I bought it 8-12-21. As info is fleeting at best, any ideas on fluids? Capacities, types. I was going to if nothing else look at other graders from this Era to try generalizations.

FWD

Back in the day, Minnesota DOT had quite a few of these type Huber graders. I don't know the exact model. but was similar to this one.
FWD

Lowlife

Occupation
Jack of all trades
So if they weren't scrapped should be around somewhere. Did some due diligence and it seems to be a c160 cummins. Should have got the numbers when there.

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
When I google it It seems they may have made 2 and there is only one left in existence, and I just happen to be the proud owner. Too bad it's not a shelby cobra or tucker car instead
there one it running condition in a machinery park at Isaford Qld Aust ex shire machine​

Aceofspades

Alright went up to look at what I bought sight unseen. I did pretty dzmn well. It was listed as inoperative and apparently what it was is they couldn't get it started because of too small a battery while the company was there to take pics. Slightly different story than what I heard but irrelevant at this point. Starts, moves, all hydraulics work. Lots of items needing attention from my perspective but could operate as is. Dad found a tag on the seat, filled in by pen but I was able to read the date, 8-11-66. Interesting as I bought it 8-12-21. As info is fleeting at best, any ideas on fluids? Capacities, types. I was going to if nothing else look at other graders from this Era to try generalizations.
Wow, that is awesome! I'm really jealous.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
That machine looks nearly identical to the old POS that I own. I have a 1965 Huber with 453 or 471 Detroit somewhat abandoned on my farm. It's a very faded State of TN orange that looks like a nasty pink color. Brakes were always terrible but working. It's a fairly heavy machine that, as long as you did not allow tire bounce, would lay a pretty good grade.

The biggest problems that I had with my machine are: sticking hydraulic controls if not used often enough and main input shaft seal on power steering box would blow out. It's ugly but it was cheap and it made me good money

Homer Dokes

Occupation
Jack of all trades... pretty damn good at some.
So if they weren't scrapped should be around somewhere. Did some due diligence and it seems to be a c160 cummins. Should have got the numbers when there.
Hey there.... if'n you still frequent these parts... do you still have your Huber-Warco grader? I am looking at purchasing a 9DG version and was curious if you found the info you were in search of for yours and also how well it accommodated your needs.