• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How good is a Grove TMS 475 for a beginner

Evans

I spent most of the day going through all your helpful suggestions and try to figure out how to clear air lock in the 2nd section of the boom,in the process I noticed that the 2nd sections boom retracts using lever outside cab ,the lever on the side of the crane which also used to retract count weights.
Not sure if that's how it should work from outside or its an alternative way if lever in the cab fails.

The unit is now performing well all around .need to pick a load now.

Thanks once again for all your helpful
Suggestions and advice.

I had to go home early today a happy man.

crane operator

It should work from the lever in the cab. The lever outside should only extend and retract the 1st telescoping section (inner mid). You use a cable attached to a eye at the back of that boom section, run through a pulley to the top of the counterweight. Telescope the boom section to pick up the weight, retract the arms that hold the weight up, then retract the boom to set the weight on the deck behind the engine on the big pads there. Make sure you have enough cable (on the winch) let out not to two block the crane when extending. That's why there's a control there for extending that section.

So just so I'm clear. The section closer to the tip (typically called the outer mid) is the one with problems, or is it the section closer to the base section (typically called the inner mid)? The section closer to the base section should be the section that moves by the lever behind the cab, not the outer/ tip section.

I bet you were glad to see both sections move. Congrats.

Last edited:

Evans

Good day, i have realized that I am still very junior ,hope I will be able to help someone one day. I did not realize that LIFTING EQUIPMENT eg chain and wire rope slings ,D shackles etc are well part of the Game.

please advise on the chain sizes I can start with, on this 50ton G. since I want to use it for all sorts ,including containers, mine and industry also construction. i don't know which size to start with.

I am shopping around for a 4 legged 26mm X 7m ADJUSTABLE chain slings .is it where I can start to build up from.

crane operator

I keep no chains with me in the cranes. I find with chains, in order to get any kind of capacity, they are too heavy to move around, in and out of the storage boxes. I can handle 2-12' 3/4" cables pretty easily by hand, try carrying 24' of 3/4" chain around (they are the same capacity). I have chains, they just stay at the shop.

Rigging in my tms 300 in the crane all the time: Listed as number of them, diameter, then length, type and capacity in ().

Cables: 4-3/4"dia. cables 16' long, eye on one end, latching hook on other end (10k). 4-3/4"dia. x12' cables, eyes on both ends(10k). 4-5/8"dia. x 12' cables (7k), Eye on one end, hooks with latches on the other end. 4-1/2"dia.x 8' cables (5k), eye to eye. 4-1/4"dia. x2' cable eye to eye (1k)

Nylon's: 4-16'x3" wide nylon eye to eye 3plys (13k). 6-16' 3" nylon eye to eye 2plys (7k). 4-8' green endless round slings (5k), 2-12' red endless round slings (16k).

Shackles: 1-25ton (1 3/4"pin dia.), 2-17t (1 1/2"), 4-12t (1 1/4"), 8-10t (1"),4-6t (7/8"), 4-5t (3/4"), 4-2t (1/2"), shackle can vary by manufacturer in capacity with the same pin size. My 8-10t shackles are actually 1"pin shackles, a columbus mckinnon will be rated for 10t, a crosby will be 8 1/2t. I just like 4 of each size.

I've put the capacity of my rigging in () behind each. That's a eye to eye straight pull capacity in thousands of pounds, and they are approximate off the top of my head, not the exact figure. Example the 3/4" cables are good for actually 11,200 lbs in a straight line pull, basketing the cable doubles capacity.

On my cables I prefer to have individual cables, rather than 2 or 4 cables on a bridle. It makes it easier to mix and match on spreader bars and such if you don't have them tied together. Plus forget about rolling up a 3/4" x16' 4-way bridle with hooks and putting it in your storage box (if you can do that, I won't argue with you about anything). I do have my 3/4" and 5/8"cables made with a 2' long eye on one end, rather than the standard 1' eye. It makes it much easier to put on a 50ton capacity hook block with the bigger eyes.

Nothing in the crane is bigger than 3/4" cables. 4-3/4" cables gives me 40,000lbs of rigging capacity, that's about all I'm going to pick with that crane anyways, plus that's about as big as you can roll up and put in the boxes. All my larger rigging stays at the shop, I usually know if I'm going to need bigger, and then either put it in the pickup or tie it to the deck of the crane. Most used extra rigging at the shop: 4-3/4" x 20' long eye to eye cables. 4- 4" x 20' 2plys (10k), 4 -12' blue endless round slings (20k cap) 4-16' blue endless round slings (20k), 4- 1" x 6" eye to eye cables (16k).

My 70 ton capacity crane has a pickup and gooseneck trailer that goes with it, so it has a few 7/8" and 1" cables and some blue roundups for more capacity. Also more 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" shackles. My 25 ton cranes don't have the 3/4" cables, or the 3ply nylons, or red roundups.

Endless round slings, and flat nylons are great capacity for what they weigh, but don't take abuse (wrapping sharp steel, or even just past edges). Once they've got a cut or fray, they're junk. Cables last forever (or at least a long time).

Also in each crane is a 15'and 50' tag rope. But its usually not in the crane, its on my last job where I left it lay.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hi Evens, As you are new at this crane game remember that your headache ball or multipart block whichever is on the crane and all rigging and even cable weight has to be figured in as part of your load. It's usually not critical but it can be very important if picking near capacity. With two drums and both lines hanging you need to figure the weight of both. A pocketbook rigging manual usually available free at any good rigging supply house will prove valuable to you for safe rigging.

crane operator

evans- I just looked again at the chain sling you want to buy. Did the conversion and are you sure you want a 1"link 4 legged chain 22' long. That's going to be one heavy rig.

That chain is roughly 10lbs per foot, 88foot, total is 880lbs. plus the hooks and bridle and your looking at probably around +1,000lbs of rigging , in one sling. 1 1/2" cable slings get you the same capacity at only 4 lbs/ft. makes for 350lbs or so. Black endless roundslings would be 2.5lbs/ft.

That's chart your giving up in rigging, with no change in capacity. That and I wouldn't want to deal with that heavy $#% chain.

Also to be realistic. That chain sling on four legs is good for 100,000lbs. I realize you have a 50ton crane, but your never going to pick up 50 tons with it. Something that actually weighs 50 ton, you can't get close enough to pick up. Probably the most your going to pick up will be 50,000lbs. A more typical heavy pic would be 30-40,000lbs. I've had 60,000 once on my 35ton, and I could be right on top of it, and probably wouldn't do it again (maybe :cool2). I was within chart, it was just a big load. I've only ever had 70,000 once on my 70 ton crane, also right on top of it.

I think your overestimating what your going to be able to pick up. A 100,000lb pick with only 50 ton size cranes, means you usually have 2-50 ton cranes, and even that would be pushing it.

Evans

I have just done my first job ever :beerchug with lady G. she performed well, picked a dozer with that easy , on idling or just near idling. . i have changed one piece of pressure pipe that goes on the swirl from under, it give in and spill oil. not very sure on the weight of the dozer.

some of the pics

Attachments

• G8.jpg
    G8.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 209
  • G7.jpg
    G7.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 206
  • G 2.jpg
    G 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 208

crane operator

Great Job- its all easy from here on out!:notworthy

If you picked it up and set it down, and nobody got hurt, that's a great first pick.;)

Good rule of thumb for if you don't know the weight- Looks like you've got 4 parts of line in you're block. Those winches have about 10,000 lbs per line, of line pull (rated for 13-16,000, but they do 10,000). So you had less than 40,000lbs. If you set up for a pick, and know you're only good for 20,000lbs at that particular radius, only put in 2 parts of line. When you run out of line pull (winch), stop lifting.

It's hard to tell in those old grove's when you're close to capacity at short radius. They are so overbuilt that its hard to feel the weight, without a lot of seat time. If you put in eight parts of line, it will pick until things get ugly.

(One other thing, chart is based on both boom sections telescoped evenly, don't want to be critical, but I'm a hard @$$, sorry, everything else looks good!).

Evans

new coat of paint was the only favour I comfortably extended to the old lady, the rest is new hunting ground for me.

crane operator - thanks for the tips ,basically are you saying to pick less than 10 000 lbs use single line ,when you run out of line on winch ,that's max
20 000 lbs use 2 lines when ran out of line ,stop
30 and 40 to use 3&4 lines ,out of line ,stop.
am I on the right direction. on 10 000lbs will you be able to run out all the line.?

Last edited:

crane operator

No problem evans. I'll run you through a couple little trial lifts.

Situation #1

I'm in a tms 475 and I roll up to xyz quarry. They want to pull the cone crusher- no idea what it weighs. I proceed to set up the crane as close to the crusher as I can. After set up, I take my tape measure, and its 32' over the side of the crane, from the center of the turntable, to the center of the crusher/ pick point. Go now to the chart in the cab. 32' isn't listed as a radius, so you go to the next longer radius- 35'.

View attachment TMS475-Load-Chart.pdf

20160910_162642.jpg

Left hand side of chart (over the side) lists radius of 35' as having a capacity of 20,280lbs, with any boom length (thank grove for building stout booms). So you only have 20,280lbs of capacity. Deduct the weight of your block, ball (if running both winches), stowed jib, and rigging. 290lbs for stowed jib, block weighs 800lbs (it should say on it), and your chain sling at 1,000lbs. total is 2090 lbs. 20,280-2090= 18,190lbs. That 18,190 is the maximum you can safely lift. Reeve the block with 2 parts of line, when the winch starts to stall out (10,000lbs per line), you're probably at capacity, if the cone crusher isn't coming up, you better stop.

Situation #2.

Roll up on site, dozer to unload off semi, no known weight. You back the truck up right behind the back bumper, stretch out your tape measure, 10' from center of turntable to back bumper of the crane, 4' to the dozer tracks, another 5' to the center of the dozer. total 19'

Now we'll use the chart on the right (because we're over the rear). no 19' radius listed, so we go to 20' (always go to the lesser capacity). You've shot out a little boom so we go to the 40' boom length, chart says 52,200lbs. We subtract stowed jib (290), block (800), rigging (1000). That's 2090 again. 52,200-2090= 50110lbs. If you have a becket attach point on the block, you could run a 5-part. If you don't you'll need to run a 4-part (40,000) which is actually better in this case (you'll see).

The dozer doesn't want to come off the trailer easy with your 4 part. The dozer acts like its coming , but hasn't. Being johnny expert operator, you know the winch will do 10,000 per line easy, but if you throttle up that detroit, (or cummins if you're so blessed), the winch will do 13,000 before stalling completely. 13,000 x 4 = 52,000lbs. Either the dozer comes off there, or you better stop, because you're over. If you have the 5 part, your actually right up to chart (before you know it), and a 6 gives you way more line pull than capacity (could pull 60,000, with only having 50,000 of chart). In having to rev up the crane, you know its between 40 to 50,000 lbs, and now you look like johnny expert operator.

Situation # 3
Roll up on site, they've got a piece of pipe over the other side of a storage tank, you need to remove the old pipe, replace with new. You set up, stretch out trusty tape measure, and its 75' over there. 5,770 chart over the rear. Subtract our ball (250lbs) (your only good for 5700- you don't need block), stowed jib (290), rigging (200- you got some small nylons, instead of that huge chain) 5770-250-290-200=5030. Easily within line pull of 10,000. How do you know when you're getting close? Options:

#1 tell them you have to know what it weighs- use the new pipe shipping ticket- but that doesn't tell you if the old pipe is heavier-thicker wall- or full of material (and they won't know- they'll just stare at you like they're stupid)

#2 Pick until the crane starts to get light. You're in the tipping, not structural portion of the chart (below the bold line), so the crane will get tippy, not break. But-this is bad. Being boomed down that far/flat once it gets light, its too late. If it starts to go, you won't be able to bring it back. Nobody wants the crane laying over.

#3 Johnny expert operator. The old grove engineers save you, they've equipped this wonderful crane with 2 speed main winches. Low speed is 10,000 line pull easy, but slow. Winch has a high mode. In high mode, the winch has twice the speed but 1/2 the capacity (5000). Flip the switch to high speed, stay out of the throttle so its not zipping up too fast, and now you're creeping up with your 3-4,000 lbs load, that you know, with no scale, that you can safely lift. Johnny expert operator saves the day- safely. This little option saves you also, when you have your 4 part in, but swing over to where you're only good for 20,000lbs. Switch to high speed on the winch, instead of 40,000, now you're at 20,000 when the winch stalls. Winch stalls= stop.

If you get to lifting items where you're below 5,000 in capacity, you're going to have to know the weight. Scales are available for the crane, shipping ticket, stamped weight on the item. When you're at 110' over the side and only good for 1700lbs, if they say it weighs 1700, but they're off by 255lbs (or 2 big workers are leaning on it), you're coming over. 85% chart gives you a big margin when you're good for 40,000lbs. Not so much when you're only good for 1700.

gtermini

Not a crane operator myself, but that's the best description I've ever for lifting capacity I've ever seen. Thanks for posting.

Greyson

Evans

well received..... crane operator ,thanks for the notes will go a long way .I need to read them again and again to understand these trail lifts technically.

I rushed to respond because I am going for another hunt, I don't want to be the hunted ::crying: .I have been booked for Monday morning at a mine 100miles away.

site unseen ,emergency .need to pick a big tank about 100ft[30m] . erect it 70ft {20m**above ground. capacity ..less than 2.5 tons ,said one of them.

your trail lifts will apply perfectly ,any more blind spots I should look out for on these big items with less weight.?

crane operator

There's all kinds of things that can go wrong evans; sorry but that's the truth. Constantly try to minimize your risks, and don't take chances. Do it the best, right, safest way every single time.

A carpenter can cut off a board short, and start with a new board. Dig out too much dirt with a backhoe, you throw dirt back in the hole. You have to do it right every single time, or someone gets hurt.

Advice: keep loads as low as you can until you have to go up- if you get in trouble with a load 6" off the ground, you can set it down. If you do the same 60' up, you're along for the ride.

Always look for a way out- what are you going to do with the load if something goes bad?, don't let people get in impact zones.

Setup is the most important thing, don't set up un-level, don't set up on bad ground without wider cribbing. Always set as close as you can- if it means being a pain to other people- so be it, its your crane. Make them move stuff. Move the crane again, make them tear something to pieces to make it lighter, whatever it takes.

Don't be afraid to say no. Don't be afraid to say no. Don't be afraid to say no.

If something doesn't look right, feel right, seem correct, stop. Fix it. If it looks like a choker might come off, fix it before the lift, don't get 1/2 way into the lift and think "I should have done this".

Buy a scale- no more guessing on weights- or relying on other people for a weight, you will know. http://www.cranesmart.com/english/index.html Its $4,000, but it might save your life, or someone elses, and the crane. Cranes don't leave my shop without one.

If I had to lift a tank and place it up on a stand in the air, I might do a trial lift with the tank, without going up on the stand first. Find out the radius you have to set the tank at, then pick up the tank, go to that radius in a safe area (or right beside the stand) 6" off the ground. If you can't handle the weight at that radius, it will start to tip and you can set it down (from 6" up), if you just zip the tank up to 60' in the air, and start booming down to set it, and get light, its a long ride over. If you can get to that radius in the safe area 6" off the ground, you can get there on the stand, 60' up.

With that grove, set up so you can make your set over the rear. Its more stable, with better chart. Don't make a critical or difficult pick, right over a front corner outrigger, its your least stable point. You're strongest right over a rear corner outrigger, but then you're also exerting max ground pressure on that outrigger (making it more likely to punch through poor soils), its better to be straight over the center in the rear, equalizing the pressure between two pads.

If you start lifting something, and its hanging all crooked, set it back down and re rig. Add shackles, remove shackles, adjust chains, whatever. If its lifting straight , it will set down much easier up in the air, and make it easier on the guys your working with.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Steady on the controls, its not a race.

Knepptune

I can't agree with crane op enough on the scale. The sad truth is that most of your customers don't have a clue what something will actually weigh. I can't tell you how many times something has doubled in weight from the time the customer called to when the crane got to the job. And I've had people get all tore up and mad swearing that the scale on the crane isn't working. I can tell you which one I'm believing in that scenario.

I firmly believe every taxi crane should be equipped with at least a boom angle sensor and a scale. A2b is mandatory anymore but it wouldn't bother me to not have that. For 3-4K it's worth every penny.

Evans

at a new GOLD plant being established by Rio-zim {rio- tinto].

I noted one thing, smaller cranes stay on a contract longer .if I had a 25 or 30 ton was going to a at the mine longer.

Evans

1474699006886.jpgIntex Aqua_LifeIII_20160922_180320.jpg

catholic church under construction ,I had to hold the top overnight ,its was good money wise but the next morning we found the boom section leaking, after work I had to top up about 20litres of hyd oil. I am not prepared to start the booms yet.

crane operator

Looks great evans. On the bigger crane vs smaller crane issue. Remember, you can do little crane work, with a little bigger crane, the reverse isn't true. You're size of crane is maybe a little big for a one man crane company, but if I could only have one crane, the tms 475 isn't a bad choice.

Also, great looking pictures of the church job, but....

I wouldn't leave my crane overnight with a load on it like that. There's too much that can go wrong, when your not there.

Evans

thanks Crane operator , great ,I thought as much , the next morning the security said he hard noises through out the night from structure and crane. first and last.

some of the pics, this morning a truck with oranges fell from a bridge right onto the river bed. it took me 4hrs to retrieve .boom leak was not as much as yesterday.Intex Aqua_LifeIII_20160924_122434.jpg

Intex Aqua_LifeIII_20160924_111212.jpg