• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help/ideas? Bobcat belt tensioner?

kensmith69

It's entirely possible the tensioner is stuck, it happens. I can't even begin to explain how that thing works in a way that would make logical sense, the best I can do is show this exploded view, item #13 is that eccentric cam I was referring to, it's probably stuck. You could take it apart and try to repair it, but me, hardly worth the trouble. When I run into a problem tensioner I just replace it, most Bobcat dealers keep one on the shelf because they do go bad, just like a fan belt tensioner goes bad on an engine.

View attachment 129468

I phoned and ordered a new one this morning, just as I was hanging up I asked how much?
$636.00 does that sound right?
I cancelled going to look at old one again.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sounds like dealer rape to me. Might find a part number on it or go direct to the engine manufacture. Similar ones for vehicles can be had for well under a $100.00 but then there is a million more of them.

crewchief888

Sounds like dealer rape to me. Might find a part number on it or go direct to the engine manufacture. Similar ones for vehicles can be had for well under a $100.00 but then there is a million more of them.

thats not kubota part
part # may, (or not be) be stamped or cast on the part

you shouldnt be able to wind the spring by moving it with your finger.
the dowel pin may be loose in it's hole, or the other end of the spring could be broken

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to admit I haven't purchased a new tensioner for some time, but I recall it wasn't no $636.00. :eek:

kensmith69

I checked Ebay and it was $550 plus $50 shipping so I guess I just take it from the dealer.

I changed the idler on my 7.3 diesel pickup not long ago and it was like $75 I think.
Almost the same as this Bobcat one.
I cant hardly believe it for what it is.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, that's better than no tension on the belt. To restate what crewchief asked, you are prying on the mounting bar and not the pulley, right?

kensmith69

Well, that's better than no tension on the belt. To restate what crewchief asked, you are prying on the mounting bar and not the pulley, right?

Im prying on the top of the bracket the tensioner is mounted to, the steel flatbar with the hole for the bolt.
Prying it down so the idler wheel is pushing hard against the belt.
About the only place there is to put a bar.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, just wanted to make sure. You could always take it apart and see if you can repair it, it might just need cleaned up and lubricated.

kensmith69

Ok, just wanted to make sure. You could always take it apart and see if you can repair it, it might just need cleaned up and lubricated.

LOL Ive taken things with springs apart before..................................... It never turns out well!
It was greasey , I might take it off one more time and look again , but I sure couldn't see the spring broken anywhere.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, it was just a thought. I mean, 600 some bucks for a tensioner, jeezzz, stick it in me and break it off, right? Putting some prying tension on it and lock it down may very well get you by, but at some point, you need to get that tensioner sorted out properly. I do hope you find a workable solution. :)

kensmith69

Well, it was just a thought. I mean, 600 some bucks for a tensioner, jeezzz, stick it in me and break it off, right? Putting some prying tension on it and lock it down may very well get you by, but at some point, you need to get that tensioner sorted out properly. I do hope you find a workable solution. :)

My thoughts exactly Im going to need it.
I work in remote areas of BC , sometimes 3 hours from cell phone service even.

Its going to fail 5 kms from the road in 3' of snow , I can see it all happening.
I think Ill order the new one..........................

crewchief888

My thoughts exactly Im going to need it.
I work in remote areas of BC , sometimes 3 hours from cell phone service even.

Its going to fail 5 kms from the road in 3' of snow , I can see it all happening.
I think Ill order the new one..........................

if it were me i'd toss on a new belt as well just to be on the safe side.

i've seen it happen way too many times,
an old belt gets tensioned properly and it snaps within a few hours.
might b a good idea to check all your belts and hoses if you're gona be that far out in the middle of nowhere

:drinkup

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Spring reference 18 packs full of dust and freezes solid, can be cleaned but not worth the extreme hassle getting the dirt out of the spring ( spring grabs and holds the dirt in VERY tightly) We replace em when they won't budge.

Last edited:

Fast1968

Did the tensioner fix your problem? I'm changing my tensioner and belt on my t590 today just for preventative measures, the pointer is loose and rattling on mine. Cost 398 for the tensioner and 75 for the belt from bobcat in CDN $

Five30

I'm curious if this cured the problem. I'm having similar issues with a S150, Keeps blowing the fan belt off and shredding one row off the drive belt, drive belt stays on though. Its a buddy of mines machine and its chewed up 3 belts in about 30 hours of operation. I'm about to dig into it tomorrow. Anyone know how this fan belt design works? I haven't had much luck in finding info online seems like a pretty crappy design. I'm guessing (hoping) that its either the fan belt tensioner or the drive belt tensioner binding up. Any input would be great.

(Not sure If I should've just started a new thread about this? Maybe a mod could chime in and let me know.)

crewchief888

the cooling fan belt has a spring loaded tensioner, as long as the tensioner is moving freely, the pulley isnt worn, and everything is aligned it should stay on.
as far as the drive belt is concerned, repeat failures arent uncommon if the tensioner pulley bearings are bad. very rarely ive seen the 1 piece flywheel housing broken, or of it has the 2 piece housing, the bolts could be loose/broken, or have missing motor mount bolt(s).

as far as a crappy design, if it was bobcat would have done something about it a l o n g time ago. it's been in use since the late 80's/ early 90's when the 50 series machines were introduced, and is still in use today on the latest M2 series machines..

:eek:

Five30

the cooling fan belt has a spring loaded tensioner, as long as the tensioner is moving freely, the pulley isnt worn, and everything is aligned it should stay on.
as far as the drive belt is concerned, repeat failures arent uncommon if the tensioner pulley bearings are bad. very rarely ive seen the 1 piece flywheel housing broken, or of it has the 2 piece housing, the bolts could be loose/broken, or have missing motor mount bolt(s).

as far as a crappy design, if it was bobcat would have done something about it a l o n g time ago. it's been in use since the late 80's/ early 90's when the 50 series machines were introduced, and is still in use today on the latest M2 series machines..

:eek:

Thanks for the clarification on that fan belt, that's the crappy design I was referring to. I was a little confused how that thing worked from just looking at it because I don't see the fan. I was looking for diagrams online but no luck. I'm no pro when it comes to working on equipment but show me how it works or give me some diagrams and I can fix it.

My buddy was assuming the fan belt coming off was chewing up the drive belt. After looking at it and doing some research I think it's the other way around. I think the drive belt tensioner is bad and the shredding drive belt is making the fan belt come off.

I found the tensioner on eBay for like $180 and found some rebuild kits online that contain the spring and the bearings, sleeve, snap rings etc. for about $80. Is it worth rebuilding to save $100 bucks.