• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help/ideas? Bobcat belt tensioner?

Five30

Thanks for the input, not sure I can afford the bobcat OEM part lol. But I know what you are getting at, you get what you pay for.

Willie, I was kinda thinking the same thing, much easier to just slap a whole new tensioner/idler pulley assembly on there.

So I got the Idler off, there is no arrow plate between the spring and the pulley and the pulley spins freely but not so smoothly, kinda wobbly and bearings don't sound so great. So I think I'm just going to give it a new one and see what happens. New belts and a new Idler/tensioner pulley assembly and see what happens. This thing quit working on me while I was using it and then upon talking to my buddy, who was the last one to use it, I was informed of the prior issues. Would have been nice to know beforehand but oh well gonna get her back up and running in the next week.

Just want to clarify installing everything new. Tensioner pulley is at 1 o'clock under no load and 3 o'clock under full load against the stop. So installing it I pry down on bracket and tighten it around 2 o'clock? Run it, recheck it, and re-adjust if necessary? That arrow should stay between 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock correct?

I take back what I said about the design, now that I have disassembled it, which took all of 20 minutes, its a pretty simple design and not so hard to work on. I was thrown off a bit because at first glance I didn't see the third pulley which controls the fans way in the back hahaha... :confused: oops. I also found the diagrams on the Bobcat web site which are nice to have.

Thanks for the help I might put together a little repair video if i do I will post the link. Here's the pulley.

Bobcat Drive belt Idler.jpg Bobcat Drive belt Idler2.jpg Bobcat Drive belt Idler3.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, you should adjust the tensioner so the pointer is between 1:00 and 2:00. If you tighten it so that the pointer is in the range of 3:00 you're getting near the area will be "bottomed out", not able to provide floating tension on the belt. Less than 1:00 may not be enough tension on the belt.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
And yes, you may be dropping some coin to purchase that OEM tensioner assembly, but they do, in fact, last a long time, so as you stated, you do get what you pay for. That OEM belt and tensioner is worth the money in the work they'll do. :cool:

Five30

10/4 Thanks Willie!
I'm giving it some thought now, I found an OEM tensioner for $275 and a non-OEM for about $200 kinda seems silly to not go with the OEM for an extra $75.

Five30

Getting it back together only to find out the cooling fan tensioner idler arm is shot as well, might have this thing running again by the end of the week...

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
Getting it back together only to find out the cooling fan tensioner idler arm is shot as well, might have this thing running again by the end of the week...
gotta love it sounds like my life story

Five30

Back together and running, finally. I found a idler pulley tensioner kit for about 80 bucks. Getting some snow so I will have something to test it out on in the morning.

cdm123

I have an 05 S250 that needs the a/c belt tightened, I have resolved to just get used to the noise until it warms up as I cannot find a gnome powerful enough to break the adjusting bolt free, the other choice is to remove the engine. Good luck, someone's wife's nephew needs to get a slap up side the head and send to find a real job, not in engineering.