• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Happy New 955L Owner With Questions

leadfarmer

Ya I thought that was funny too. The same guy posted another video of them all working so I guess he figured it all out.

AllDodge

I'm thinking more about a IP issue. The fuel level moves easy enough but will not go past idle. Was yours able to do this before all the trouble?

leadfarmer

Its always moved freely with the engine off, no change as far as I can tell. But im just talking about the lever next to the seat, not sure about throttle control at the IP.

Last edited:

AllDodge

Its always moved freely with the engine off, no change as far as I can tell. But im just talking about the lever next to the seat, not sure about throttle control at the IP.

Agree, but my seat lever only moves maybe 2 inches back and stops, cannot more it further back until motor is running, then it will come all the back

Yours is newer then mine so its probably working as it should. My manual states

On earlier engines, when engine is started, the speed limiter plunger restricts the movement of the governor control linkage. When operating oil pressure id reached, the plunger in the speed limiter retracts and the governor control can can be moved to high idle

leadfarmer

Nice warm day yesterday!

I removed all 4 injector lines from the top of the IP and the flow looks to be consistent and sufficient:

https://imgur.com/a/Av3Nt5O

I then bled the injectors while a helper cranked it.

The machine started and sounded good for a second then acted like it ran out of fuel.

I went to prime the injection pump and air came out of the bleeder.

After priming it started again and died. Again, air from the injection pump bleeder.

I didn't have any more time to mess with it. I want to repeat these steps at least 4 more times just to make sure I'm not working air out of the system before I start chasing the fuel path to the injection pump, because I think at this point the problem is at or before the transfer pump.

leadfarmer

Update!

I unhooked the fuel line at the filter and confirmed strong gravity feed of fuel from the tank, letting it run into a can for awhile.

I hooked up an electric fuel pump and a fuel line feeding from a can and connected it to the inlet of the fuel filter. Still wouldnt start and bled the injector lines again for good measure. The electric pump pushed enough that I could prime pump and bleed injector lines.

3A90EF22-7C0B-4D93-AD14-0A184DEB1801.jpeg

Bypassed the filter and fed fuel directly into the pump. Same deal. The fuel flows really nicely out of the injection pump bleeder line when the pump is running and it is directly connected like this. It popped and tried to start but still wont fire up. Lots of white then dark smoke. Bled the injector lines again. Ran it on ether a little for the heck of it. I need notice the fuel pressure gauge had movement and it got to half way on the gauge after awhile of continuous cranking.

E712DED0-C094-4046-A007-CBEF5E6D7BF3.jpeg

So I pulled the cover off the side of the pump. Not much crud in there. A small bit of shiny particles and some surface rust particles laying on the bottom. The inside face of the cover plate had light surface rust.

86E17D80-EF3C-41A8-9EE7-ADE75437BD6C.jpeg

One thing I noticed is nothing moves with the throttle lever. No rack sliding or anything. Is that something that only moves when the engine is turning?

Checked fuel flow into the pump with the cover off:

https://imgur.com/a/fhJ4Tx9

I guess next step is remove the injectors and crank it to see what their flow looks like with them hooked to the lines, or something else? Should I just take the injectors somewhere to have them tested/inspected?

Last edited:

leadfarmer

What manual will give me the most info about the IP? The 955L service manual or the 3304 vehicle engine service manual? I have a 955K manual someone sent me on pdf and it seems to have some good info but has a different looking pump and governor.

leadfarmer

I dont think I can really test the transfer pump which is on the front of the pump any way other than cranking it with that side plate off and observing the flow, which doesnt quantify much.

leadfarmer

So I removed some parts and its ugly in there. Gunk, moisture, rust.

check out this video, when I hold the throttle to high idle its shooting fuel out of the pumps while cranking. I think this means the sleeves are sitting too low and the governor isnt letting them move up…

https://imgur.com/a/5bDBq8Z

Attachments

• D4AE5249-5774-4E5C-A8E9-1A2DF212E410.jpeg
    D4AE5249-5774-4E5C-A8E9-1A2DF212E410.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 19
  • B8CD8F17-FD81-45A8-8C85-67DE73EEA9A9.jpeg
    B8CD8F17-FD81-45A8-8C85-67DE73EEA9A9.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 16
  • 500639E9-ACD5-4281-92C3-5B50245B4E18.jpeg
    500639E9-ACD5-4281-92C3-5B50245B4E18.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 71377290-835B-4E52-A38A-D5F1E900F280.jpeg
    71377290-835B-4E52-A38A-D5F1E900F280.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 17

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I'm not much help but...... Maybe set up the engine at a timing place...... Then there's a place to set the IP to the engine then take off the IP.

leadfarmer

I think I am going to pull it and take it to a shop. They quoted me $2k for overhaul and the guy I talked to gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But I would set it to proper alignment with #1 TDC before pulling. Cat quoted me $3800 to rebuild it.

AllDodge

I think I am going to pull it and take it to a shop. They quoted me $2k for overhaul and the guy I talked to gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But I would set it to proper alignment with #1 TDC before pulling. Cat quoted me $3800 to rebuild it.
Agree, sure looks like time to rebuild

leadfarmer

Should be done Friday. 4 new injector capsules and 4 new sleeve pumps. Transfer pump is in good shape. He said it had an unusual amount of crap inside the housing. Don't have the final bill yet.