• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grease Guns

grandpa

We change body style's on vehicles every couple years, yet the grease gun and Zerk has remained unchanged for a century. Can't anybody design a better mouse trap when it comes to greasing.....no leeky leeky please...bah
ha

BarnStarFarm

:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead Grandpa- I am with you! Just got done fighting with the umpteen zerks on my excavator and I get so freakin' sick of watching grease go everywhere but in the $#&^%# bushing. At least with a battery powered grease gun one hand doesn't get as tired but the other one that's holding the hose end jammed tight on to the zerk still cramps up. If we can send a guy to the moon why to christ can we not make a greasing system that WORKS!!! :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Last edited:

grandpa

:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead Grandpa- I am with you! Just got done fighting with the umpteen zerks on my excavator and I get so freakin' sick of watching grease go everywhere but in the $#&^%# bushing. At least with a battery powered grease gun one hand doesn't get as tired but the other one that's holding the hose end jammed tight on to the zerk still cramps up. If we can send a guy to the moon why to christ can we not make a greasing system that WORKS!!! :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Bah ha ha, didnt mean to get ya so riled up! But at least there is two of us that feel that way....lol

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You mean they're not supposed to leak? :D

Not a better mouse trap, but there is a lot of cheap, inferior grease zerks and couplers out there. If you spend a few bucks more and get genuine Alemite zerks and couplers, you'll have better results. :)

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I agree, Grandpa, there has to be a better way. Then when the adaptor wears and there is grease going everywhere, you replace it with a new adaptor and it grips the nipple tighter than you ever could with vice grips and you can't get the bloody thing off, so you get wild with it it and give it an almighty wrench and break the end off the nipple. And have you ever noticed that the one that grabs the tightest is always inside a cavity where, you can't twist the grease hose to release it.

RnR.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
If they leak a new head almost always makes things better.I have found that the oriental nipples are troublesome and worse are the scandanavian ones.Once in a while you will find a good head that will work on all three but they are rare.
The Akermans used to come with a grease gun but the dealers used to confiscate them and give you a cheap POS to replace it which didn't work on their fittings either.As ATCO said,the better brands perform better.The zerks also wear after a while and sometimes they are in an area that allows them to be hit with rocks etc and need to be changed quite often.If an "operator" does not grease regularly it can take some time to get a fitting to pass grease again as well.Ron G

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
I particularly enjoy it when I fill a u-joint up, then the little check ball in the zerk doesn't close, and a thin steady stream of new grease comes right back out the way it went in.

grandpa

Or how about when its a hundred degrees outside and you keep your greasegun in your tool box and find that the grease has melted to oil and flowed otta ur gun allover ur stuff.......

cummins05

I hate it when you buy a new machine and send it out then get the call from your new operator that none of the zerks will take grease.

helps if you scrape the paint off them first lol.

I have used the slide on ones on the gravel crusher for the big bearings with the big can with the pump on it they sure work well

grandpa

I hate it when you buy a new machine and send it out then get the call from your new operator that none of the zerks will take grease.

helps if you scrape the paint off them first lol.

I have used the slide on ones on the gravel crusher for the big bearings with the big can with the pump on it they sure work well

Ya, you think someone would invent one similar to those only smaller and better yet.
:rolleyes:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I think it would work if someone designed a coupler that had a sliding sleeve, like on an air chuck, that would lock the grips firmly on the zerk, then you simply slide back the sleeve and it allows the grips to release hold on the zerk.

grandpa

I think it would work if someone designed a coupler that had a sliding sleeve, like on an air chuck, that would lock the grips firmly on the zerk, then you simply slide back the sleeve and it allows the grips to release hold on the zerk.

There ya go ATCO...market it........would be nice if you could release your sleeve from the grease gun handle....make life easy.

cummins05

Well get on it you just thought of a way to make millions of green backs!!!

telescooper

Hey about ten years ago I had one with a slider on it. Never seen one like it since. The button types dont care for them. Our new paver has them for the steering. I think Alemite stuff is pretty good. Auto greasers when they work properly are pretty tuff to beat. just my 2 cents worth.

Telescooper

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, I wish I could think that far into it and figure out a way to get it done. :D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hire an Engineering research firm to develop it then patent and market it!

In my perfect world, I would be more than glad to do that. But, in my real world, raising 3 grandkids for the last nine years gets first bids on what's in my wallet.