• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader Joysticks V Lever Control

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
What i hear all over, is that Cat released their M's with to little test and verification.

I think that might be true. A year ago there were a lot of posts on here about problems with the M. Slow steering, rough transmission shifts, fault codes, etc. There seemed to be a lot of operators posting good things and bad. Not sure what happened to all that traffic???

I'd like to hear from those operators now, a year later, to see how things are going with the upgrades.

As usual in human nature, seems the majority of posts now are complaints. The operators that like the machines are content to just run them and not post I guess?? I appreciated sdpete's input and picture and Randy's thread about his work with his 16M.

sdPete

Occupation
cannotpost
working the gremlins out

Last spring a field follow engineer from Cat visited, he was interesting to listen to. Cat did plenty of testing, he had worked with M development for years. But you guys have got to know that the first units sold on newly designed models are about the equivalent of final stage testing. If perfection is expected buy the old model and let someone else work the bugs out of the new one.

Been there, done that. The township was working up a trade at the time the H came out, salesman said we could get either a 140G or 140H, he thought the H would be ok but it was sorta new and the G would certainly be dependable. The board went with the G and I plowed snow with that thing for 5 years then time to trade, got a 140H. After a season in that I was disgusted over what those past 5 years could have been.

Fast forward to 2007, time to trade again, M model available. I offered my thoughts, and combined with other positive factors the board went for it. We knew there could be issues but also believed Cat could handle things, it has worked out well. No time lost due to machine failure (actually no machine failure), updates and service work have been carried out promptly. They are committed to having M graders work well. Dealer will look us up after 3 years of use as the used market is looking for M's and ours will be one of the first used ones available.

After doing a lot of snow work the past week I will offer a thought about the throttle on an M. Strange at first, but after a while you learn how that trigger functions, how to run the foot pedal and shift buttons. It is not much comparable to running an H or G, but the engine speed gets controlled and the driving gets done. I would hesitate to say I like it less or more, it is just a different way to operate, set up so the hand can stay on the joystick. When I get in the pickup sometimes I start thinking it is time to get my foot off that pedal and my mind tells my hand to squeeze something (which isn't there), odd how one can get conditioned.

I still say it will be interesting to see how the discussions go a few years from now.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
working the gremlins out:

Hello sdPete,

I would have to say... this is one of the finer posts on this thread... a very enjoyable read.

Looks like you might have gotten some of that snow that blew through here last week....

OCR

Note: My statements... by no means... are intended as criticism of other posts or posters...

Haul-Pak

CAT aint worried about the M Grader's ... They Lead the world so why would this bother them!

Nice Video. The M grader Is far more Productive In theory than the old style lever/Steer wheel machine.

You could perform 8 function's at once including steering without any effort while seated.

Once they iron out the bug's and get decent jockey's the machine will work really well.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I still say it will be interesting to see how the discussions go a few years from now.

Good post Pete. Your comment about trying to drive your truck like you drive the grader is also a good point. I wonder if an operator would struggle with going back and forth between a joystick and a lever operated machine??

I've commented several times that a few years from now operators will have an entirely different discussion about computerized joystick style machines. :)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Grader videos

Forum dosen't want me the last two days:(

But i've been doing some other surfing...

I have to promote the salesguy on graders at Volvo Norway.
He has been making some videos for us.
Here is some worth watching for all of you, not only promotion, but shows u a lot of pics on how we do things here:

First the joysticks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GyAe-meqw

More technics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CMmVkwk34g
Shows the latest design on joysticks for Sweden and Norway.

Some graders he has sold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-bJlixpoM

Even more graders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y28BZtoUps

A presentation of the 900 series from 2009.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GdTKRem6rc

Here is their user on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VolvoMaskinAS

He has even got some pics of one of our graders.

Last edited:

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
Just some feedback.... We have five 14M graders. They are approaching the 2000 hrs mark and the operator's opinions are very mixed. Like some said, lot of small issues with the steering and hydraulic system and it's taking too long to get service or resolve from the Cat service Dept. Our list of outstanding issues/repairs is getting long and even a few visits from Cat engineers and tech reps didn't resolve anything. We're at the point where we almost have to park them if the temperature drops below -25 celsius......Not impressed so far.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Welcome to the website Alberta!!! Sorry to hear of your problems. Is it to the point that your Company is ready to give up on these machines?? Bummer!!! :(

curb slayer

the company i work for has a 140 m the operator has done 2000hrs in it.had a few problems like every one else nothing major steering alarm goes of ,fuel injector and rough gear shifting.cat has flashed the ecu with updates.and just got new paint job.the biggest complant the operator said there is no feel for what you are doing not like the h.i now have his 12h and i do 10 plus hour days in it and i don't feel stuffed a the end of the day.the operator said he loves the m for the quitness and comfort,great for bulk earthworks,grading haul roads but for crushed rock final trim he will take the old 12h with 13,000hr any day.

G Model

Occupation
salesman
this is a very interesting thread, seem's there are many differing opinons on the joystick controls. I have ran a 12M and everthing except the steering seemed o.k. the steering was very odd and would i think be scary doing some high speed roading.

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I hear that there are a few problems with the hydraulics too. One Highway Supt. said the 140M's were fine when they left the warm shop but started losing steering after a little while when it is real cold out. I have some pictures of one that went over a bridge when he was plowing snow.

G Model

Occupation
salesman
has anyone heard about the operator, was he o.k. ( I have seen the pictures also )

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I heard he was ok, but I'll bet he was sore!
I like Deere's idea of having a steering wheel available for roading, but still has steering in the pilot controls too.
These machines travel to fast when roading to steer with a joy stick. Imagine hitting a car on accident!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
My buddy Steve has about 400 hrs on his 140M. He says he doesn't mind it roading now that he's used to it. But he always locks the controls so he doesn't accidently activate something other than steering. We are in Missouri so don't have severe cold temps either. I doubt he's ran in less than 10 degree F.

roadrunner

I hear that there are a few problems with the hydraulics too. One Highway Supt. said the 140M's were fine when they left the warm shop but started losing steering after a little while when it is real cold out. I have some pictures of one that went over a bridge when he was plowing snow.

Glad your here Ironman, we need more grader operators giving their 2 cents on diffrent machines.Would you be able to post those pics of snowplow?

roadrunner

My buddy Steve has about 400 hrs on his 140M. He says he doesn't mind it roading now that he's used to it. But he always locks the controls so he doesn't accidently activate something other than steering. We are in Missouri so don't have severe cold temps either. I doubt he's ran in less than 10 degree F.

Richard I like the looks of that new G series.Seems like some very good improvements!:)
Woops did I say that out loud!!!:D
I sure wish Volvo will hurry up and put their sticks on the market.....:usa:canada

roadrunner

J.BobbyM

Occupation
Construction Equipment Distribution
I think electric over hydraulic controls are here to stay, not just on graders but other machine forms, especially those well-suited for automation. I do question the controllability of a motor grader, especially at high speeds with joystick only. I hear stories about M-series accidents related to the joystick steering but no one has ever confirmed them to be more than just rumors or competitive wishfull-thinking. Cat backed off joystick-only in certain loaders. I predict they will offer some form of steering wheel, if only as an option in the near future.

G Model

Occupation
salesman
I think your right about the electric over hydraulic control are here to stay. With grade control becoming more and more popular it only make sense that eventually everyting will become plug and play. As far as Cat eventually getting a steering wheel they may have to do something. as far as accidents I have seen some pics of a 12M that had an accident I will try to get them and figure out how to post.