• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader Joysticks V Lever Control

Bellboy

COPPA
On diet, operators are getting less fit, bigger, and bulgier. There is hardly an operator I have come across who isn't falling out of the seat. Operators are big, and they aren't getting smaller. All that I can say is that the joysticks are the route of all evil. What happens to kids who sit in front to the TV all day playing video games with joysticks? Obesity. I believe that the conventional controls are much more of a workout compared to vegging behind two joysticks.

Has anyone actually done a study into how many calories you burn working a conventional grader compared to joysticks? Am I missing the plot or what?

Grader4me

On diet, operators are getting less fit, bigger, and bulgier. There is hardly an operator I have come across who isn't falling out of the seat. Operators are big, and they aren't getting smaller. All that I can say is that the joysticks are the route of all evil. What happens to kids who sit in front to the TV all day playing video games with joysticks? Obesity. I believe that the conventional controls are much more of a workout compared to vegging behind two joysticks.

Has anyone actually done a study into how many calories you burn working a conventional grader compared to joysticks? Am I missing the plot or what?

Now there's a different take boys! Debate that one! LOL. Great post Bellboy lol. MKTEF where are you? :falldownlaugh

Last edited:

ovrszd

Wow Northart you covered the whole planet and the last five decades with your last post. I remember all of the references you gave. I particated in most of them.

I wasn't personally involved in Korea. But as a Soldier I take offense at your statement that captured American Soldiers were brainwashed into turncoats. That's a broad brush you are painting with Art. I believe you owe any Korean veteran on here an apology.

I'll wait for that apology before answering the next claim you made. Where's the Unamerican smiley, I can't seem to find it.

Once again, to make a point you have launched a personal attack. Unacceptable Art, unacceptable. :mad:

ovrszd

I agree with your perspective. But I don't think that was the intent of modernization of construction equipment. It was more of a side effect. :)

I think the first step down that road in graders was the switch from gear operated to hydraulic. I think there was a large change in energy used between those two types of machines. I started on a gear operated machine with a marginal heater and no AC. There was a huge difference in how perky I was at the end of the day. :eek:

I'm not sure there would be much difference between the modern hydraulic/lever controlled machine and the new joysticks. I sure don't burn much energy running our machine. Then to top it all off I operate in a T-shirt year around using climate control. Not much of an exercise program!!! :)

MKTEF

Now there's a different take boys! Debate that one! LOL. Great post Bellboy lol. MKTEF where are you? :falldownlaugh

Guy's i enjoy the debate here...
But...
When we start discussing the change in easiness in operating equipment, and out of that, has found the reason for the increase in average weight....:cool::ban

Mind is over mater.. As we say here; eat as much as u burn.
You deside by yourself, how much u add into your hole.;)
If you eat like a horse, and move like a hippo, you'l soon look like a hippo.
I know that i am stepping on many toes here...but this is a exploding problem all over the world.(and i myself have to be carefull too..):)
We should everybody take this in over us, and spend time to move, more than in front of the computer.

Regarding the topic; computers is here to help us. Problem is, the perfect one is not prodused yet.
But the manufacturers do their best to get them work as planned...
And we should help them by giving good feedback.:)

And when we talk about the environment Northard is working in, it is classed as C3; severe cold/C4; extreme cold, in the NATO Stanag 2895.(-56 and -68 degrees as lowest temps)

UK MOD says the following about that climate:
"Material intended only for artic use should be designed to operate in categories C0, C1 and C2, and in particular cases C3 and C4."

I would not put that demand into any equipment intended to also be used in the hotter areas of the world.
Any produser has problems produsing something good enough for C3...
We are talking about using special components that is not functioning in pluss 30....Door gaskets as an example...
http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/00/035/04000400.pdf

Buckethead

Before computers it actually seemed like fewer breakdowns. And when there were, the field mechanic,(or sometimes the operator) would have it running again quickly. Nowadays when something craps out, with a lot of things you have to call the dealer technician, God only knows how long it takes for him to get there. A lot of downtime. Yes computers and electronics work great, in a climate controlled office. But put that computer in a machine working on a barge on salt water where some salty moisture in the air is inevitable, and see how it works.

Grader4me

Mind is over mater.. As we say here; eat as much as u burn.
You deside by yourself, how much u add into your hole.
If you eat like a horse, and move like a hippo, you'l soon look like a hippo

My name is Grader4me and I'm an eataholic....Sorry, I just got a charge out of Bellboys post.:D
Carry on Gentlemen!

ovrszd

My name is Grader4me and I'm an eataholic....Sorry, I just got a charge out of Bellboys post.:D
Carry on Gentlemen!

Yeah, I did too. Reminded me of the first time I saw a D model Deere at our dealership. I said how come they made the doors bigger??? The salesman said because operators were too fat to get in the old doors and were complaining about it. He said come here I'll show you what I mean. Down the row a few machines was a used CH model they had just traded for. It had a barn rope tied to the mirror bracket with knots about a foot apart. He said the operator couldn't climb up the steps and get in without using the rope!!! Heheheheheh. :p

ovrszd

I hear ya Buckethead. I think there are applications where computers should be avoided but not sure how to accomplish that. Generally, again I say generally, a modern computerized machine will outwork a grader that doesn't have a computer. Before you argue that you need to consider how many model changes you have to go back to before finding a machine without a computer. As for Deere, you would have to go back to a B model to get operation that isn't controlled by computer. I believe they stopped making the B model around 1996. I can't verify that the last year of that model didn't have computerized operation. As for Cat, I'm sure you would have to go pre H model and maybe pre G model. The Cat guys can clarify when that was???

Northart

Brainwashed ?

Hello Ovrszd,

Whoa, wait a minute, Lets clarify this further, about the Korean GI 's that were POW's. I did not say ALL , Korean POW's. I belong to the VFW ( VietNam ) and that is where the info came from. The VFW National Magazine. There was a real long piece about POW's/MIA's from all the wars(WW1 to Gulf 1) in it.

This was quite a few years ago, I know I don't have it. There was a number of Korean GI that refused to be repatriated. They were called turncoats. That is what I was referring to. That is documented ! Most knowledgeable people know about it. There are a number of other articles and books relating to the brainwashing techniques of the North Koreans.

You are reading way,way too much into my posts !

There is no intent to slander you or any other readers.

I sure wish I had that VFW Magazine now to back me up.

I do have other POW/MIA books here on the shelf. I suggest you read some, for your education.

POW/MIA's Report of the "Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs United States Senate " Report # 103-1 Ask your US Senator for a copy. That is where I got mine.

"A Bright Shining Lie , by Neil Sheehan" a History about the VietNam War !

"Inside Hanoi's Secret Archives by Malcom McConnell". A real expose of the POW/MIA issue.

You might be shocked by the revelations , when you read all these books .

Lastly I don't need to apologize for stating facts !

If you wish to carry this discussion further, please PM , so it can be done off the HEF BB.

Hope this clarifies things for other readers .

Northart

Limited Rules ?

Hello Steve,

Granted, within the limited rules , economic considerations, emotions spill over. Even in cyberspace.

Thank you Steve , for your considerations, in allowing the , clarifications, rebutals.

Sincerely , Northart

GPSGrader

AMEN NORTHART!!! ALL THE WAY!!! Finally someone who understands my rant. To hell with the joysticks, give me back my levers. Flawless in design. Reliable as a hangover.
I have ran my M for over 2000 hrs. and belive me I can run it fine. Damn sure better than anyone else around here...but do I like it?? HELL NO!! comfortable yes, practical NO. Some advantages of the M grader but unless you've ran one, shut up! nobody cares about a hypothesis. They are a damn headache and the MAN is right!! OH listen to the sound of the fault alarm!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sdPete

Joystix thumbs up

All in the head, we can all think how we want. The 140M here is a keeper. It does what a grader does, but the driver has to learn to do it a different way. Change is not always easy.

Attachments

• SnoPlowBB.jpg
    SnoPlowBB.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 548

ovrszd

Great picture Pete. Your roads look a lot like mine. Dozer work in the summer would sure lighten the grader work in the winter!!!

I'm hoping to not use my wing this winter, but if I do I'll take some pictures. My wing is an oddity.

Edit: Forgot to comment on your statement about joysticks. I totally agree. Operational adjustments are necessary for the operator to get the most out of the design. In this case, I think it's a pretty steep learning curve in the beginning.

Last edited:

MKTEF

I don't agree with you GPS Grader.
I don't have 2000h in our graders, bout i would never go back.
Then we haven't got any foults that has stopped me from using the graders.
Every time i go out and crank her up all works as it should.
Only problem was one time when the movement sensor was bent out of the direction, just checked the faultcode, instruction manual, and moved it back in line.
What i hear all over, is that Cat released their M's with to little test and verification.