• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good healthy carnage

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Barrelroll:
The electricians on site (and possibly the PLC guy)should be working with you on this problem. You need to see what causes the speed to change and verify that the inputs and outputs match with the programmed values in the program. The only way to do this is work with the other groups. We had dosing pumps that were similar in operation and when there was a problem, operations would call the mechanic to fix the symptom instead of getting to the root cause. Some of our trades people would not want to work togeather so lots of good parts were ruined. Good luck. Cam

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Friend at Cummins here noted have had a few of these, self feeders. Hard to imagine, some how gets raw fuel buildup on exhaust side with the DOC system, engine turbo seals fail either of bad repair, bad cartridge, poor aftermarket, or the excessive heat and adds to the raw fuel thru EGR side into intake. Becomes a unable to stop until runs out of oil scenario, nearly as bad as a DD Blower Seals failure.

Truck Shop

Remember this one I posted several months back- It ran away. It sat in a impound yard up till
a month ago, the guy who owned it sold the truck someone in Floida, They drove 3,000 plus
miles put a used turbo on it. It had 8 lbs of oil pressure once started at 1500 rpm. Took off for
home, made it 45 miles to Arrowhead-seized. Setting in impound yard in Pendleton.
100_1843.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most certainly remember that one, got my attention to pay attention on these engines.
Why in any value of Sense would any engineer acquainted with how diesel engines work even consider to duct exhaust into the intake?

Once carnage as that occurs, jerk it and strip it down as in no way would trust ever again not.

Reactions: mks

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On that note, that ISX I had been driving that lost trans, locked so tight engine went from 15-1800 to ZERO instantly. Broke loose and rolled up Two More Times, replaced busted flywheel housing, clutch, most of clutch linkage, trans and several other sub components. NOT EVER Dropped pan, 485,000 miles, intend to drive it out past 500 and then sell or trade off.

Would not be my ass in that seat EVER again.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Cat or maxxforce ct13 in cat 680 truck. Just a head gasket failure!

Attachments

• 20230831_114927.jpg
    20230831_114927.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230831_114914.jpg
    20230831_114914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230831_114845_HDR.jpg
    20230831_114845_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Cat C18 in a D9T. The latest in 2-piece crankshafts. Cat have no idea why it broke.

I can guess. 20,000 hours of hard work is possibly most of the reason.

It's been rebuilt with a new crank. Every spec checked in the block, nothing found out of order.

Attachments

• D9T-crank.JPG
    D9T-crank.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 60

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Sorry Nige, haven't got any other photos. This is the nephews tractor, he runs around 40 Cats, the tractor came in, got rebuilt in short order, went straight back to work, and the crank went to scrap.

He doesn't pore over fine details, just buys new stuff when it breaks, he works on the basis he got 20,000 good-paying hours out of it, so it's time for all new parts. The mining companies pay him good money.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yes, you'd have to think there was a vibration problem behind it. I didn't see the overhaul, but there would have been all new components gone in, including the damper. He doesn't skimp on the repairs, all new Cat parts all the time, the mining companies pay for it all!

IceHole

Post some close-up photos of the fracture face from both halves of the crank. I'm not a gynaecologist but I'm willing to have a look......
I got told that was "offensive" for saying that al work Oh darn. Its offensive you're offended so howboutdat?

Same person whined when I told another dude he did such a great job that I could about kiss him on the lips and impregnate him.

He got let go not long after, mostly for being a POS, but also the boss was tired of him being a whiny bitch.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yes, you'd have to think there was a vibration problem behind it. I didn't see the overhaul, but there would have been all new components gone in, including the damper. He doesn't skimp on the repairs, all new Cat parts all the time, the mining companies pay for it all!
I’d double check on whether it got a damper or not. Was the crank the original.?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It was original, AFAIK. The nephew and his employees know Cats inside out, they've been doing this for a long time, and they work in closely with the Cat dealer, so if anything was suspect, it would've been addressed.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It was original, AFAIK. The nephew and his employees know Cats inside out, they've been doing this for a long time, and they work in closely with the Cat dealer, so if anything was suspect, it would've been addressed.
That being the case I'm somewhat surprised that they don't have better photos, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Also regarding your comment of 20k total hours on the crank being a factor I would doubt it. We'd normally expect a crank to go at least two and possibly three engine lives.