• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

Thank you Tiny!! I have most of the manuals (service, operating, parts)....but they're 40+ years old, faded, etc. These images are top notch! I'll print and color and use them going forward.

Thanks as always!

p.s. I'm just about to start putting the Detroit 453N back together......I've had the head and injectors rebuilt, new oil pump, I rebuilt the blower and refurbished accessories.....alpine green! Should have it back in the engine bay in a couple months.

BobCatBob

Engine is almost ready!! I'll need to build an engine stand, hook everything up......and let her run for a bit to make sure she's good t go. I painted the mounting brackets the paint I'll be using on the crane.....old Cat yellow......and it looks great!

Having fun!

IMG_0779a.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Tiny, for some reason that picture you posted of the crane extended brought a flashback in my head of a very similar machine with "Pettibone" written on it. Am I hallucinating or were they a manufacturer of them as well?

Tiny

Tiny, for some reason that picture you posted of the crane extended brought a flashback in my head of a very similar machine with "Pettibone" written on it. Am I hallucinating or were they a manufacturer of them as well?

You remember correctly , bridge side had one and I moved a couple around town when called on . I'll start another thread , think I have some info on them

ernstZA

Occupation
Operations and Technical Director at Schoeman Cran
These were excellent machines in their days. When I started in the crane business we 3 of the running. I learned a lot that I know today about how to work and fix cranes from these old monsters. We had the two stroke Detroit engines in them, beautiful sound, if I entered a construction site I didn't need to ask where my crane is, you just had to listen where the sound came from.
Unfortunately for them they really liked to leak hydraulic oil, you will fix one pipe and tomorrow the one next to him will start leaking. That was actually the death of them here with us. The Japanese cranes was introduced to our market, KATO , TADANO and KOBELCO and that was the end of oil leaks, and that was what the customers wanted.
They were mainly used on civil construction sites and petrochemical sites here in South Africa and there is still a few working on small sites but mainly yard cranes now.
I also still have some parts for them like starters, alternators, one or two cylinders, boom section, door and I think even that horrible spring tensioner that kept the tension on the tele cylinder pipes.
But all in all only good memories of them, as I said they taught me what a crane is about, even though it was a small crane comparing with what we are operating with today.
Enjoy your project.

BobCatBob

One step closer......engine is rebuilt and running. It took about 4 months, but runs like a top now (and I learned a hell of alot about 2 stroke diesels along the way).

Here's a video of it's 1st run (it may take a minute to upload)

Having fun!

Last edited:

BobCatBob

It's been a year since I acquired this old beaut, and realized there are 3 issues I'll be up against going forward.

1. Main boom cylinders (two in parallel) that likely need to be resealed.

2. Counterweight support that appears to have been re-welded on (will get picture soon to show).....does not look like OEM welds.

3. Right rear outrigger frame is bent (attached picture)

All three of these may make this rebuild a no-go if I seek certification (at least the counterweight re-weld and outrigger frame.....seals I can do, but with alot of effort and $$$).

I'm doing this for the "hobby" aspect.....and having fun. Though, I'm about $12k into this project....and have yet to replace all the hoses, reseal the boom cylinders. I take my labor at $0.00 as it''s "therapy" doing the grunt work and learning along the way.

Am I pissing into the wind thinking this will be worth what I put into it? Is certification a pipe dream?

Thanks as always gents!

IMG_0276a.jpg

Last edited:

Tiny

When I 1st saw this project I wondered if it was a keeper . That would have been the only way I saw to justify the amount of work and money it takes to do a build like this . I hope if your plan is to sell the machine after your are done works out well for you .

Honestly if your not careful you can have a fortune tied up in a machine that will not pay for itself . As far as the welding goes if you find a good welder and you may be that welder , Repairs can be made . Most of the time on late model machines the manufacturer is contacted for a repair procedure . As long as the directions are followed there should be no reason to flunk an inspection .

As far as what the machine is worth it might help to look at auctions and sales of used machines to get a general idea

Last edited:

BobCatBob

Thanks Tiny.

I contacted an OSHA approved certification company and they'll inspect for about $1,000. I'll continue to refurbish the machine and then have them take a look at it. It's a hobby and what ever I put into it is worth the cost of time and money...few hobbies ever have a financial reward at the end, just the pleasure of itself. If so, I have a 12' C-130 with four chainsaw engines hanging from garage ceiling to sell (and that was about 1000 hours of build time).

Having fun!

BobCatBob

I'd love to see a thread on that C-130!!

Here's a video I posted years ago (they're actually 4 stroke engines, but put out about what chainsaw engine does thrust wise at 10,000RPM.....around 2.8 HP each). This was where my discretionary cash used to go.....until I started crashing them (and it's not if, but when). This hobby....refurbishing old equipment.....is cheaper. It's rebuilt as a static model (crashed in 2007), repainted as "Fat Albert".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgN7toNH3ng

Off topic (not crane related) but at heart......guys need hobbies to keep us sane.

Tiny

Good vid , Buddy of mine flying much smaller models and he had too many crashes and too many hrs in them to keep it up . He told me that if he kept flying his wife was going shoot him ;)

BobCatBob

The engine bay is done!! I was able to get most of the hardened grease off, but some of it would not come off short of a hammer and chisel (no kidding).....so did the best I could. Here's a few pics of the old beast with a new look:

IMG_0834a.jpg IMG_0845a.jpg IMG_0849a.jpg

BobCatBob

Thanks Gents!

Where do you guys buy your cable from? Type and rating for 1/2" to 9/16" (looks like what the crane currently has....I need to measure). Can I buy it pre-lubed or need to do that after?

Thank you

Bob

p.s. A few more parts to clean, prime and paint (radiator , torque converter, PTO shaft)......and will be able to get the "new" engine back into the crane.

Having fun!