• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

I bought the crane about 3 months ago and have spent most weekends working on leaks (resealed all the outriggers), new fluids, filters and a "minor" repair on the torque converter. I enjoy this kind of work (as I sit at a desk for a living) and thought I'd post a few pictures as she comes along.

This past weekend, I started to clean her up a bit with a hot pressure washer. As the grease is caked on, I did a once over on all but the under carriage, then focused on the boom. My intention is to work from the top down in preparation to prime then paint. Any suggestions as I go along would be much appreciated.:usa

Wash Trailer.JPGDirty Boom.JPGBoom Power Steamed.JPG

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Kudos for fixing up an old 150A. Odd machine, built well, but some parts are a PITA to work on, and one needs to be an octopus to work all the levers. Back in the day a favorite rig for millwrights and plant workers because they have a small boom tip head compared to other hydrocranes.

Does it have a Detroit or an International gasser?

BobCatBob

It's a Detroit 453N. When I have her rev'd up, smokes like a coal train, sounds like no other. It's fantastic.

I agree, getting to a lot of the filters was a trick (I have a small scar on my chin from the 1/2"-13 x 9" bolt dropping from the Trans filter) along with resealing the outriggers (had to remove two of them to get the pistons out....very little wiggle room, even plasma cut my own gland wrench from 1/2" steel plate). Here's a couple pics of the cylinders:

Cylinder in process.JPGCompleted Rebuild #1.JPGNew Seal.JPG

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, I've pulled those outrigger cylinders before myself. :yup

Just in case you don't know, don't use multgrade (15W/40) oil in that Detroit, they don't like it. You need to use a straight SAE 40 weight oil with sulfated ash content of 1.0% or less. Delo 100 SAE 40 meets the specs best (Delo 400 SAE 40 does not), or Mobil Delvac 1240 SAE 40 is a second choice. ;)

BobCatBob

Thank you. I ordered 5 gallons back in April as I was about to change the oil with what I had on hand (15w-40.....I have two Army trucks with NHC 250's.....always have ALOT of 15w-40 on hand) and decided to pause, do some research on two stroke diesels....and saw they need low ash straight 40. THE STUFF'S NOT CHEAP.

Pulling those outriggers is something. I used a Bobcat, engine hoist, pry bars and bunch of BIG wrenches to get at it. When I opened it up, the one socket I didn't have was the 1 13/16" to remove the piston from the rod. A trip to Tractor Supply, $10 , Big breaker bar......resealed, back on the machine shortly thereafter.

I've gone over most of the machine, and I'm really impressed with how well built it is. This was before CNC, robotic welding, laser cutting, etc. You can really see the skill of the craftsmen. I hope to do it justice while refurbishing.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That oil isn't cheap because the market demand isn't there with modern engines that use multigrade, the old "supply/demand" concept. Alas, it's what those old engines require.

Probably one of the worst components on the old 150A Galion is the brake hydrobooster, very unusual hydrobooster/brake master cylinder unit, and very expensive to replace. Not worst because of design, but because of age, stuff don't last forever, and its unique design pretty much makes it only available from OEM.

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Looks like a fun project. For myself I've run these enough to basically turnaround and walk the other way when I see one.

BobCatBob

Looks like a fun project. For myself I've run these enough to basically turnaround and walk the other way when I see one.

Hopefully when I'm done, you'll ask to come over and break her in. I actually have looked at putting a red dot system on the back of the cab (no room on top)....still researching, but would like to help compensate for the F-16 like cockpit (made for 5'9" and under) and the workout you get when running this beauty.

BobCatBob

Did a couple days work getting the boom sections ready for paint. I sprayed a good 2 gallons of Purple power, scrubbed with a brush after letting sit for about 30 minutes, then hot pressure washed again. After letting it dry, I used a wire brush on an angle grinder (my arms still hurt), then cleaned off with a bunch of rags and acetone (it's amazing how stubborn old grease can be). Today I masked the crowd cylinder, primed, and sat back for a minute at just how much work (fun) this is. Lots more to go.

Purple power 6.JPGPrimer 3.JPG

BobCatBob

I found another leak....and this one is a doosy! I believe the internal boom telescoping cylinder needs "attention". Anyone ever been through this? Idea on cost? The boom would have to be taken apart to get at this.

BobCatBob

Cleaned and primed the rims this past week, sent out for new tires (16 Ply Firestones).......wallet is now empty (holy cow....not like changing a set on the wife's car). Power washed a portion of the boom.......finding a good bit of rust under the 3 layers of paint.

Having fun!!

New Tire 2.JPGPower Wash 3.JPGPower Wash.JPG

ayrhead

When you are done you can always come over and 'clean up ' my 90A. She runs great. Just rebuilt the Detroit 453 engine in her. Here is a picture of it when we bought it 3 years ago. No need for a new picture as much hasn't changed except for the engine rebuild. I have the engine as well as the service manual if you need it I have it in digital format.
Cheers :beerchug Ayrhead

Attachments

• 100_3050.jpg
    100_3050.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,389

cecil89

Occupation
the best I can be while I am being paid to do my J
Oh you guys must have gotten ahold of machines that were yard birds. Meaning that they stayed in a warehouse setting. I remember taking my first door off of a gallion, yes I used the counterweight to do it. you gotta love looking over your shoulder while it is hotter than the blazes of hell on a job site. I laugh about it now. Yes I hate all neck breakers. Here a while back I was on a broderson for two years. I should of sued for disability. You know a guy has to eat so I stuck it out. HAHAHAHA

Last edited:

ayrhead

Yeppers...she was a yard bird but runs great and does what I need it to do. We keep it on site and have a man bucket on the end of it and trim our 80 foot trees with it:tong

BobCatBob

When you are done you can always come over and 'clean up ' my 90A. She runs great. Just rebuilt the Detroit 453 engine in her. Here is a picture of it when we bought it 3 years ago. No need for a new picture as much hasn't changed except for the engine rebuild. I have the engine as well as the service manual if you need it I have it in digital format.

Please post or e-mail the Detroit 453 manuals (e-mail to: rdavit@comcast.net). After I clean her up, I'd like to rebuild the engine (this winter). Thank you!!!!

Hey, what works well to get the grease off is a good spray of Purple Power, some elbow grease, then a hot pressure washer. I just finished the cleaning the boom this weekend, going to try for prime over the 4th.

BobCatBob

Mine was used in a junk yard......leaked from every spot possible when I got her. I'm down to the internal boom cylinder(s) (that one is going to be a tough fix).....then I'm good. The tires were so bad, I thought one was going to give out every time I moved her (just replaced them about a week ago).

Having fun!

BobCatBob

Oh......did you go with Alpine Green or "crane" paint after rebuilding the 453?

BobCatBob

Did a decent amount of work over the past few days. Cleaned, wire brushed, acetone'd the main boom section down to the pedestal......though with the amount of surface rust, I used two gallons of Ospho to convert the rust (after much wire brushing). In one of the pictures, you can see the counterweight looks black on a side from rust conversion. I've never used Ospho (phosphoric acid), but it states you can prime after without any additional prep. I'll probably pressure wash one more time to play it safe.

1.JPG2.JPG4.JPG7.JPG

td25c

Looking good BobCatBob :thumbsup Thats going to be a handy rigg when you get done restoring it.