• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

Now wait just one second here! You were supposed to practice on my JCB backhoe before you started another project!

Rick

Hi Rick! How's the knee? Waiting to see thread on your rebuild!

No, I have an SW 48 Bombardier I'll be digging into this winter. Like the Galion was....rusted, leaking, headed to a scraper....I'll reserect more old iron to its original state. It's got a Ford 300 inline 6 with a C6 transmission....it runs, but needs lots of TLC.

IronworkerFXR

Occupation
equipment repair
Awesome Job , and it never fizzled out as some projects do. I am at a roadblock on my Link belt LS 50...

BobCatBob

Thank you Ironworker. It's been challenging and fun. I should locate my 4th grade teacher who said "stop day dreaming and pay attention" and show her what a dream....and a lot of elbow grease accomplished.....lol

BobCatBob

Almost there......a few minor items left, but realized all things look better with STICKERS! Added the Galion stickers and safety/load chart/lubrication/etc labels today. Yes, still having fun!

5CEDAEA7-2D07-4A25-B2D9-56B19B4F5015.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

216DDC4D-DAD9-4943-B3A9-B58C32B3246D.jpg

BBDC9718-F5DF-4094-8AF7-48D3E04D41C4.jpg

BobCatBob

Gentlemen,

I did my 1st lift today! After almost 4 years of refurbishing/rebuilding almost everything on this old girl......I lifted a 6,000 # CNC mill (just bought it at auction), went out to 25 feet.....solid as a rock!

6CF0F036-998E-4C1B-A320-8DA5921B037E.jpg

0CE01638-7B42-4AC7-AE9C-83E2C6666346.jpg

6CF0F036-998E-4C1B-A320-8DA5921B037E.jpg

Having fun!

Last edited:

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Hey Bob, I wondered what it cost for the new wire rope for one of these? What dia is it and how many feet? Also did you look into bending back that outrigger mount?

td25c

Nice work Bob !

You know ........ I just got an idea ? If ya keep buying CNC machine tools for the shop that crane will pay for itself pretty quick setting them in place .

Keep the meter running on the Galion & charge accordingly Bro .:D

BobCatBob

Hi Davo,

I believe it's 9/16 diameter cable and 450 feet long. I purchased it from Contractors Crane in Houston for about $1300 + shipping. It wasn't their cheapest cable (they had Korean and US made, I try to always buy US made) but like tires on the wife's car, buy the best (especially when it comes to safety). I would call contractors.....they will have the exact cable type and length for your Galion.....they're really top notch.

BobCatBob

Nice work Bob !

You know ........ I just got an idea ? If ya keep buying CNC machine tools for the shop that crane will pay for itself pretty quick setting them in place .

Keep the meter running on the Galion & charge accordingly Bro .:D

Hi Td25c

You guys are the pro's.....I'm not licensed nor experienced, so likely will never charge to help friends (and local farmers). If I ever get asked to help on a lift that's complex (i.e. A grain bin or the like, setting trusses with lots of people around)....I'll ask them to call a pro to run my crane. The wonderful work you guys do....safely...comes from years of experience and training. I'm a common sense guy....and smart enough to know what I don't know.

I bought this CNC for my use (another "tool" for my refurbishing projects).....and learned how to program and set up a CNC mill many years ago (was my 1st career).....now a "can't buy the part, I'll make it" component in my arsenal of bringing life back into forgotten and unloved equipment. The lift I did was simple for you guys, but I planned out as if I was lifting a man basket safety wise (measured everything, reviewed load charts, doubled up on slings, watched bubble level in cab the further I boomed out, etc). I was nervous, but incredibly excited to do it for the 1st time.....and it worked as planned.

As a side note, the inspiration for doing the rebuild of the Galion 150...was my grandfather. He owned a Grove 18 ton (I think it was a 1974).....was an owner/operator, member of the Local 150 (I have his 25 year member pin, Union jacket)..he passed in 1997. During the summers, early 80's.....he would let me grease all the zerks, change the oil/filter, top off the hydraulic fluid , wash the windows (lucky strikes left a horrible glaze on windshield), etc......and paid $20 for a hard days work. As a treat, he would take me for a ride around the block....I would ride in the operator cab... it was illegal, but he knew how much I loved it. Absolutely fantastic memories....best man I ever knew.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hi Td25c

You guys are the pro's.....I'm not licensed nor experienced, so likely will never charge to help friends (and local farmers). If I ever get asked to help on a lift that's complex (i.e. A grain bin or the like, setting trusses with lots of people around)....I'll ask them to call a pro to run my crane. The wonderful work you guys do....safely...comes from years of experience and training. I'm a common sense guy....and smart enough to know what I don't know.

I bought this CNC for my use (another "tool" for my refurbishing projects).....and learned how to program and set up a CNC mill many years ago (was my 1st career).....now a "can't buy the part, I'll make it" component in my arsenal of bringing life back into forgotten and unloved equipment. The lift I did was simple for you guys, but I planned out as if I was lifting a man basket safety wise (measured everything, reviewed load charts, doubled up on slings, watched bubble level in cab the further I boomed out, etc). I was nervous, but incredibly excited to do it for the 1st time.....and it worked as planned.

As a side note, the inspiration for doing the rebuild of the Galion 150...was my grandfather. He owned a Grove 18 ton (I think it was a 1974).....was an owner/operator, member of the Local 150 (I have his 25 year member pin, Union jacket)..he passed in 1997. During the summers, early 80's.....he would let me grease all the zerks, change the oil/filter, top off the hydraulic fluid , wash the windows (lucky strikes left a horrible glaze on windshield), etc......and paid $20 for a hard days work. As a treat, he would take me for a ride around the block....I would ride in the operator cab... it was illegal, but he knew how much I loved it. Absolutely fantastic memories....best man I ever knew.

Nice photos and build BobCatBob. I have been following your build for a long time. You are a smart man to stay within your known limits and experiance although I think you would come out fine. Mentioning man baskets, it has been against OSHA regulations for a number of years to use a man basket unless you can show that to build a scaffold or use a different type of approved device would be more dangerous. Cost does not weight into the decision in their eyes. If you do ever have to use one you need to have the basket certified and tagged by a structural engineer. A test pick to the distance you will be using it must be done first with a 5,000 lb minimum weight pinned under the basket so that it teests all components. The weight must also have the weight stamped on it and be certified as correct by a structural engineer. Then you can remove the weight and proceed with personnel in the basket.

td25c

Hi Td25c

Cool story Bob , no doubt your Grandfather would be proud of your accomplishments and the dedicated work that went in to them .

Same way with my Grand Dad . Made us work our ass off but also taught us to run equipment & drive trucks at an early age . Great times :thumbsup

BobCatBob

Cool story Bob , no doubt your Grandfather would be proud of your accomplishments and the dedicated work that went in to them .

Same way with my Grand Dad . Made us work our ass off but also taught us to run equipment & drive trucks at an early age . Great times :thumbsup

Thanks Td25c. Funny story: when I was 12, my grandfather taught me to drive in his Ford El Camino. When I was ready, he let me drive around the "crane lot", where he parked his crane , on my own. One morning I was backing the vehicle up and ran into the right rear outrigger .....hard. It bent in the bumper, looked and sounded bad enough that I thought I damaged the outrigger. I was scared, remained silent while he inspected my "crash". He lit up a smoke, looked at me and then pointed to the outrigger ....."didn't even scratch the paint, let's get lunch". At his funeral, my grandmother told the story about me backing the truck into his crane......and how he kept the truck until the wheels came off....so he could tell his buddies "my grandson did that when he was 12". Truly the greatest generation....made men out of us all.

BobCatBob

Nice photos and build BobCatBob. I have been following your build for a long time. You are a smart man to stay within your known limits and experiance although I think you would come out fine. Mentioning man baskets, it has been against OSHA regulations for a number of years to use a man basket unless you can show that to build a scaffold or use a different type of approved device would be more dangerous. Cost does not weight into the decision in their eyes. If you do ever have to use one you need to have the basket certified and tagged by a structural engineer. A test pick to the distance you will be using it must be done first with a 5,000 lb minimum weight pinned under the basket so that it teests all components. The weight must also have the weight stamped on it and be certified as correct by a structural engineer. Then you can remove the weight and proceed with personnel in the basket.

Thanks Old Iron. I'm still waiting for your rebuild thread....now that your knees "new and improved". Where are you with the project?

It's been a long time since I was around working cranes, but my grandfather had a man basket he made and used (he was an Iron worker before owning a crane.....his man basket attached to his boom like a jib.....it was really cool, welded square tube steel, very stout.

BobCatBob

How was the job replacing the cable? The winch have brake pads inside and how does that work?

Hi Davo

It's a two man job.....and pretty simple. After unwinding all the cable, the drum has a wedge holding the cable end.....a few wacks with a hammer and it's out. The key is to have some one in the cab lowering the cable while you pull it to avoid it wrapping up on the drum (your arms will get a great workout as it's 450 feet). To put new cable on, you'll need to build a little stand to unwind it from the reel under tension.....and have it lay in the same natural wrap as it comes off the new cable reel. I did this with 2x4's and a 4" pipe (reel weighs about 500 lbs ...about a pound per foot). The hard part was applying enough tension while sucking up the new cable.....I did it by holding on with leather gloves while my father was in the cab.....and it still didn't lay right. I posted a while back how I fixed this (unwound all the cable to the first wrap, attached block to the back f a truck.....and pulled it in while dragging the truck......it worked like a charm!). Unorthodox, but it worked. I could of boomed up and out to get all the cable out, but lifting a sizable weight to get real tension.....wasn't comfortable having never done that (even though it's well within spec to do it, just no experience).

crane operator

Mentioning man baskets, it has been against OSHA regulations for a number of years to use a man basket unless you can show that to build a scaffold or use a different type of approved device would be more dangerous. Cost does not weight into the decision in their eyes. If you do ever have to use one you need to have the basket certified and tagged by a structural engineer. A test pick to the distance you will be using it must be done first with a 5,000 lb minimum weight pinned under the basket so that it teests all components. The weight must also have the weight stamped on it and be certified as correct by a structural engineer. Then you can remove the weight and proceed with personnel in the basket.

Don't want to really pick on anyone, but I don't want anyone operating with unclear/ incorrect info. The real regulations for manbasket work are here:https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=97

The quoted stuff below is direct from the regs, I've tried to sum up the lawyer speak of it afterwards.

"The use of equipment to hoist employees is prohibited except where the employer demonstrates that the erection, use, and dismantling of conventional means of reaching the work area, such as a personnel hoist, ladder, stairway, aerial lift, elevating work platform, or scaffold, would be more hazardous, or is not possible because of the project's structural design or worksite conditions. This paragraph does not apply to work covered by subpart R (Steel Erection) of this part."

That means if it is more dangerous to have 4 guys spend 2 weeks building scaffolding to do 20 minutes of work from a crane basket, the crane is a safer way. If it's safer to bring in a 80' Genie platform than use a crane, bring on the Genie. I don't do manbasket work if there is a safer way, but it's a judgement call which does get made- you just need to be sure you're making the right call.

"A qualified person familiar with structural design must design the personnel platform and attachment/suspension system used for hoisting personnel." Notice it doesn't say structural engineer and stamped.

"The weight of the platform and its rated capacity must be conspicuously posted on the platform with a plate or other permanent marking." Yes it is marked.

"The personnel platform must not be loaded in excess of its rated capacity." A 5,000lb test weight would overdo most manbaskets

"At each jobsite, prior to hoisting employees on the personnel platform, and after any repair or modification, the platform and rigging must be proof tested to 125 percent of the platform's rated capacity. The proof test may be done concurrently with the trial lift."

That's the trial lift (which is a lift to the working area not exceding 50% of crane capacity) and proof test in one. The Proof test and weight is 125% of the men and equipment planned for the lift, and that can change ex. 1 man- 2men- 2 men torch tools etc. It's not some single set amount (5,000lbs?).

There's a ton of more info if anyone care's to read it all, and I don't mean to step on your toes old iron, I didn't want someone reading something on the forum, and then claim it for fact.

crane operator

By the way Bob- nice pictures and a nice lift with your crane- you're like tradesman though- you've got this strange white stuff flying around, and all over the ground in those pictures- which is almost as disturbing as them being upside down.