• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

ichudov

kshansen, this is great to know. I have a forklift with a Detroit 53 engine. Thanks a lot. I learned something new today.

BobCatBob

That is correct. When I rebuilt the engine, it was obvious the prior owner had not used a CF-II straight 40 oil (they're hard to find anywhere but a marina). The liners were scared and the head looked really bad. I use Rotella straight 40 (not 0-40 or the like). High shear rate viscosity is essential.

I had the engine fired up today, ran it hard for about 30 minutes to get it nice and warm......condensation tends to build up when doing short runs (the oil fill slobbering tube was smoking).

Thanks for posting!

BobCatBob

A lot of those detroits have a tank for those drip tubes. A small air tank with a drain valve works perfectly. Drain the slobber tank at every oil change. I've never been around one that didn't leak oil from multiple locations tho. I have heard if you put a 210 degree thermostat in it helps with the oil leaking but I don't know.

I always thought a Detroit was one of the better cold starting engines. If the rack and valves are set right it always seemed they fired like a scared rabbit.[/

Best description yet.....when the Detroit starts, it's like no other diesel: loud and angry. When it's cold, compression is of issue at 22:1......starter trying to hit RPM through cold oil, just doesn't want to kick. I usually warm the coolant with a heater (plug heater, Kats 1500).....works like a charm after about 2 hrs.

ichudov

So, BobcatBob, do you have a twisty neck like a goose and how does it feel to be operating control levers while looking backwards?;-)

Awesome looking pictures! Crane is like new now!

You asked a few days ago how I move my crane on truck. Here's how:

Attachments

• crane-oin-truck.jpg
    crane-oin-truck.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Looks real good Bob.:drinkup

You can zip up I90 to 94 about 8 hours and pick up my TLB so you can practice for your next project;). I figure is you get started now you should be done and have it back in the spring;)!

Rick

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That is correct. When I rebuilt the engine, it was obvious the prior owner had not used a CF-II straight 40 oil (they're hard to find anywhere but a marina). The liners were scared and the head looked really bad. I use Rotella straight 40 (not 0-40 or the like). High shear rate viscosity is essential.

I had the engine fired up today, ran it hard for about 30 minutes to get it nice and warm......condensation tends to build up when doing short runs (the oil fill slobbering tube was smoking).

Thanks for posting!

While I always liked Detroits I have questioned their application in cranes. At least the cranes where I worked they spent little time working under any kind of load and most operators would just let them sit at low idle waiting for the next five minute pick. Especially when most of the crane work in the quarry was done during off season which was mostly in the cold, below freezing weather, so those blowers are pushing very cold air through an engine that is barely burning any fuel and cab heater is pulling most of the heat out of the coolant.

Have to wonder if it would help to install a butterfly valve in the exhaust to create some back pressure and restrict the air through the engine while at low idle maybe include a pressure relief valve or just a restriction port in the butterfly? I know I have heard of people making restrictor plates and installing them between heads and exhaust manifolds for engines that need to be run at low power output for extended time. One of our quarries had a truck drill with a 6V-53 in the truck. This would be a good engine for a rig traveling over road from job to job. But as this rig never left the one quarry the truck engine was never working at much over 10% load if that! I was told they installed restrictor plates and dried up the mess coming out of the cylinders.

ichudov

You cannot put a exhaust restriction on a two stroke diesel, it will not flush the cylinder properly with fresh air.

kanewolf

I cleaned the surface with a hot pressure washer, used purple power to get any residual grease off, then wire brushed the surface for flaking paint. Once clean, I applied citrus strip :

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Pa...paint+remover?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

This stuff worked like magic!! The trick was applying a heavy coat (with a paint brush), let it sit overnight in 50-60 degree weather, then scrape it off. It removed the majority of the paint........with about 10% that needed a second coat or wire brush off. Citrus strip does not put off a toxic fume, nor does it burn your skin (I used rubber gloves to play it safe)......absolutely great stuff!

Wood shavings, by the handfull, can be used as an abrasive and absorbent material to remove paint stripper. For those areas that a scraper can't get to, just grab a handfull of wood shavings and rub.

BobCatBob

You cannot put a exhaust restriction on a two stroke diesel, it will not flush the cylinder properly with fresh air.

When I broke in the engine after rebuilding it, I found some folks who were using exhaust restrictors to apply a load. I asked the same question as to back pressure....the oil has to go somewhere....was worried about a runaway if it got past the rings ( unlikely as they're brand new, not worth the risk).

The break in schedule was very specific as to loads , how long, etc. I thought about having a professional break in on a hydro dynamometer, but went with a old school approach.......drive it up and down hills at different Rpm.....worked like a charm.

BobCatBob

So, BobcatBob, do you have a twisty neck like a goose and how does it feel to be operating control levers while looking backwards?;-)

Awesome looking pictures! Crane is like new now!

You asked a few days ago how I move my crane on truck. Here's how:

Sweet rig! You do have all the toys! I may need help in the future.......

BobCatBob

I spoke to soon. In all my excitement after replacing the boom hoses and finding no leaks.......a puddle formed under the boom. I'm in process of getting a few bids to take the boom apart and reseal the crowd cylinders.

Yes, still having fun, just a thinner wallet now.

BobCatBob

I use this truck/trailer commercially almost every day, you are welcome to inquire. I am in Berkeley, IL.

I'm getting a bid to transport the crane from Elkhorn WI to a shop in Milwaukee. I'll follow up once received (Berkeley to Elkhorn, then to Milwaukee ..twice.....quite a bit of driving). If the bid is crazy, I'll follow up also for "second thoughts".

ichudov

BobcatBob, I think that going from Elkhorn to Milwaukee you would be better off with local equipment transporters, always plenty of guys owning a removable gooseneck semi trailer, looking for business. I am guessing it should cost you like $350 in cash per trip, something that I could not possibly beat. These trucking guys are always hungry for cash.

Knepptune

I'm interested what that's gonna cost. I just did a 30 ton terex tele cylinder. The gland on the end of the cylinder was cracked so with a new aluminum gland and seal kit it came to a little over 4k

td25c

I'm getting a bid to transport the crane from Elkhorn WI to a shop in Milwaukee. I'll follow up once received (Berkeley to Elkhorn, then to Milwaukee ..twice.....quite a bit of driving). If the bid is crazy, I'll follow up also for "second thoughts".

Is this for re sealing the crowd cylinders Bob ?

I take it the cylinders won't slip out the back of the boom for repairs ?

BobCatBob

Yes, unfortunately the boom is taken apart at the 2nd and 3rd section......3rd and 4th pulled out together with the crowd cylinders inside. Once on the ground, the crowd cylinders (over/ under opposing cylinders) can be pulled out and worked on. The manual (1974 with black and white pictures) is easy to follow, but requires another crane to do this. I called a company today, sent them a copy of the manual (I'll supply all the parts, wear pads while we're at it).... To see what it will cost for them to do it in house vs. me hiring a crane (twice) and attempting to do it myself. The issue for me would be the weight once everything is on the ground. The crowd cylinders are approximately 10-12 feet long each....only have a Bobcat 753 to move heavy stuff around (much less the force required to pull and insert the re packed rod's back into the cylinder tubes). If it's crazy money, I'll reach out to Ichudov.....offer lunch, dinner's, a fun round at our rifle range (crane is up at my farm in Elkhorn, Wi) and a stack of cash for a weekends work using his "toys".

ichudov

I am afraid to take my crane to Wisconsin,because I would have to drive with it through truck scales. But I am wondering, can some chain hoists under your rafters help you?