• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Formula to size machine to pull another machine up slopes

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I need to pull a 7,000lb Tractor up slopes up to 1 1/2. I know their is a formula just can't find it. I'm on site now attacking it with weed eaters for now.

Thanks

lumberjack

Weight, slope, speed, and soil conditions (drag on tires) dictates the drawbar hp required. From there you can look at carriers that provide that.

Deduct for what tractive effort can provide.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
7k isn't that heavy, a 8-10 ton dozer should be plenty with operators that have done it before. Also it would be best to use a winch with power out as well as power in for lowering stuff, if you go thru the brake to let stuff down, things can get bad quick when the brake overheats, usually its just a little band brake.

More critical would be that the farm tractor your pulling up the slope is conditioned for it. Some ag tractors like ih's 66 series will need overfilled on the hydraulic / tranny so to keep the pto running, along will making sure the engine design can handle slopes like that.