• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fordson Snow-motor

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I recieved an email about that yesterday digger. I was wondering if those drive drums would allow it to go on water as well.

Grader4me

That was quite a video. Really interesting, I felt bad for the poor old horse though. Yeah, I wonder how far this invention actually did go? Obviously not far, but it makes you wonder why. Looks like the cats meow, especially back in those days when people were snowed in for weeks.
Great video...thanks for sharing..

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I recieved an email about that yesterday digger. I was wondering if those drive drums would allow it to go on water as well.

That was my first thought too. I don't know if they would be big enough as is, but it sure would be easy enough to build one for that prupose using the same theory.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Yeah, Pretty neat machine. I'm kinda surprised the KoO doesn't have one...

I was wondering if those drive drums would allow it to go on water as well.

I suspect the fins would need to be larger to make it go anywhere. :beatsme

heavylift

Interesting .... I was surprised with it's pulling ability.... unless the logs weren't real :)

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Now I know where the russians got the idea of a tank.There is a video of a Russian tank vehicle in youtube with the exact drive system. For get traeds in winter make one of those machines.

carogator

What is needed on a computer to view these video's? mine says loading and counts up to sbout 24 and moves about 2 seconds and starts loading again, over and over.

Oldiron

I have a book (America's classic farm tractors) that has some photos of the Snow-motor / fordson with a bob sled like in the video . the serial plate is 100-A
Maybe it was too expensive and never went into production

a couple of years ago I saw a kid's remote controled toy with a VERY similar system

the video won't load,like you described, if the internet is too busy

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Dang I was going to post this very vid. My guess is that it couldn't compete with crawler type vehicles.

alco

We had a machine similar to this at work, but it sat in one spot for years and never moved an inch. The one we had kicking around was called an amphi roller. It was amphibious, but struggled in really soft material I am told. I never saw it run, but those who did said the reason it was parked was due to the excessive wear on the rollers/screws. I was told they wore the first set out in less than a hundred hours, therefore, it was too costly to run effectively.