• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford vs Navistar - what's next for F Series?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I know of a few guys running D'max's and they have had nothing but problems with them. Puking oil out the head gaskets, fuel pump failures and injectors seem to be the most common problems.
They must have 01s a few of them have head gaskets problems, I have only heard of a few fuel pump failures, but the 01- early 04 injectors are a problem and the 04.5-05 can overheat when tow heavy. They got it right so far with the 06+ with the exception of Thejdman's truck. We have had several hit 500K it’s not up to Cummins standards yet but gain fast.

Unless there is more emission to meet in 08 then the Dmax will not be redesigned.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
They must have 01s a few of them have head gaskets problems, I have only heard of a few fuel pump failures, but the 01- early 04 injectors are a problem and the 04.5-05 can overheat when tow heavy. They got it right so far with the 06+ with the exception of Thejdman's truck. We have had several hit 500K it’s not up to Cummins standards yet but gain fast.

Unless there is more emission to meet in 08 then the Dmax will not be redesigned.

I just wanted to clarify. I know several guys running D'max's and not all are having problems. I didn't want to sound like everyone I knew running D'max were having problems.

surfer-joe

The articles concerning Ford and Navistar have been faithfully reported in both Detroit papers over the last few weeks. Anyone ever owning an original industrial Ford diesel would know why they don't produce their own for automotive use. The 7.3's have been a pretty decent power-plant so long as the fuel system is properly cared for. They do hate even tiny bits of water in the fuel.

But great news! When you purchase a new Ford diesel-powered pickup these days, you also get a lifetime supply of marshmallows and willow sticks. Hot dogs are optional.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Yeah isnt it (depowering engine) esp when its in a pump (fire) truck, or ambulance. Wouldnt a brush (fire) truck that shoots flames be awsome???????:beatsme

Yup, I can see it now........

Homeowner: "What took so long to get here. My house is burned to the ground."

Firefighter: "Well ma'am, The truck started to depower because the thingy-ma-bob was getting too hot. Every time I would try to go faster it would depower more."

Homeowner: "Oh, ok. I'm sorry, is your thingy-ma-bob going to be alright. The house can always be replaced."

If it was built right in the first place then the trucks wouldn't have to be reprogramed. Just another car manufacturer Band-Aid, because they are too cheap to fix it right.

A brush truck with flames.......it would definately do away with the need for a drip torch on controlled burns. :D

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Holy crap I didn't think it was like that :eek:

That would be good when you pull up beside a rice burner with 3 inches of ground clearance and some punk kid behind the wheel. You could scorch some paint on the car while you are stopped at a light :roll

I guess Ford is going to supply weenie roast sticks with complimentary all beef wieners. Select customers will get marshmellows :D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That would be good when you pull up beside a rice burner with 3 inches of ground clearance and some punk kid behind the wheel. You could scorch some paint on the car while you are stopped at a light :roll

:D

Oh yeah- now I really want one!:D

Countryboy

Occupation
Only if it shoots flames out the tailpipe!:bouncegri :notworthy

I don't know about flames but my sister has one she is trying to sell that smokes. You know what they say "where theres smoke, theres fire". :laugh

T Red

All the manufactures have problems with the first model of anything. I wonder how many problems the 7.3 had on its intro.

The difference now is the internet. A couple of problems show up and its all over the internet. And the story gets bigger each time it's told. The good thing is all the manufactures do try to make things right. It's their reputation on the line.

I'm sure ford will get the 6.4 right. Just as gm got their engine right.

90plow

The 7.3 is claimed to be the best motor ever made by some. That motor was plagued with problems when it came out too. My dad had a 95 the first year it was a turbo diesel and that thing was a POS in every sense of the word for the first two years nothing but problems and the glow plugs kept going in it wouldnt start if it was in the upper 30s or below ran good for a while after that. He sold it in 2001 with 130k on it and the floor guys that subcontract for us bought it. They loaded the thing to the max with industrial sanders and stain it ran till 2004 when the computer went on it and the owner decided against fixing it, it had over 230k when it bombed and 3 transmissions but it was good. Give everyone time theyll like the 6.0 once thats gone too.
-Eric

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The 7.3s had their issues, but they are minor compared to those of the 6.0. I've owned four 7.3s and bought my last one a year earlier than I had planned to avoid the new 6.0. I'm glad I did.

The 7.3 was prone to oil leaks, and had a cam positioning sensor that would fail almost regularly. The oil pans rot out prematurely and the solenoid for the glow plugs has a high failure rate. But they rarely experienced total failure as have a number of 6.0s. A friend of mine who has owned Fords for years and always has a fleet of 5 or more in his business has had two of them blow up, one on the way home from the dealer when he picked it up new.

I've been a Ford man when it comes to trucks for as long as I can remember, but my current trucks are most likely the last ones I'll own. I've had nothing but trouble with them and have received little help from the dealers during the warranty period. They are both 7.3s and I've replaced the CPS on both of them plus the oil pans. One currently needs the glow plug solenoid. There have been other engine problems covered by warranty, but I've had many chassis issues too. When I've scheduled them for repairs I've often had to take them in twice for the same repair, it seems I have to argue with the service rep on what is actually the problem. Today's mechanics can't diagnose unless the on board computer tells them there is something wrong.

Nest time around I'm going to be looking for an alternative.

Countryboy

Occupation
Is your sister "hot" ? Post a pic

Your lucky I'm even speaking to you after that little comment. :D

The guys seem to think she is. After all good looks run in the family. :cool:

No pics, cause I STILL don't have a camera. :mad:

Jeff D.

All the manufactures have problems with the first model of anything. I wonder how many problems the 7.3 had on its intro.
I believe the 7.3L was a direct descendant of the earlier 6.9L. I "think" the 7.3 came out around '88(the first year they offered both in a Ford pickup truck IIRC). Not sure about the 6.9, but they'de been around for awhile by then.

So, they had alot of time to improve the 6.9's problems before increasing it's displacement too 7.3.

I had a 6.9, and liked it very much. It was underpowered, but I'de never any troubles with it, mechanically.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The 6.9 was first put into Ford P/U trucks back in 83 it ended 87 then in 88 the 7.3 started it was natural aspirated till 94 it was offered as a turbo diesel in the same year the PSD was offered but it was called 7.3 DI. Then 95 the "Powerstroke" name came out and it was pretty much the same engine but with variations to 2003 then the 6.0 was from 03 to 07.

The 7.3 Powerstroke and the IDI only shared the same thing which was the displacment. The 7.3 PSD had a heavier block and different heads etc it was a totally different engine. The 7.3 IDI was a bored out 6.9 which is why the 7.3 IDI had cavitation problems the cylinder walls were too thin. You sleeve a IDI when you rebuild it the engine would last for ever. The big problem with the IDI was the high compression it was never designed for turbo applications. You put a turbo on it but its very low boost. The other problem is the fuel system only puts out so much. The 7.3 IDI never could get big power out of it because it over heats and its high compression.

I had a 7.3 IDI it wasn't bad but wasn't much power. The truck I just sold which was my 95 it was PSD power the truck run good I had to change the CPS. Never had any oil leaks or any other problems.

My brother has a 94 Dodge Cummins the truck runs good but its loud and its underpowered. It does what he needs thou and gets good mpg. I don't know how such a small engine makes so much noise. His neighbours complain when he starts his truck up early in the morning.

I have a 2003 F-450 with the 6.0 its a good one when I got the Oasis report there wasn't many problems with the truck. The 6.0 has lots of power and I'am getting better mpg my 7.3 ever dreamed of getting and to boot my 03 weighs 1000lbs more. I was playing around this morning and goosed the truck to see what it would do I had to take my foot out of the throttle.

I almost got a speeding ticket today pulling a hill the speed limit is 60km (37 mph) and I was doing 70km (44 mph) I looked in the mirror and the cop was going to turn and stop me but seen I slowed down so he kept on going.

Personally I don't like the looks of the 08 Fords they are ugly maybe they might grow on a guy. Its the head lights that make the new Fords ugly.

The engineers at Ford-Chevy and Dodge better be designing pickup trucks that run on nothing but Biodiesel it will be the diesel fuel of the future.