• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford backhoes

vpd66

Well, I went out and grabbed the pulley on the generator and was able to easily slip the belt and turn the generator. So thats not it. I have the backhoe and the frontend loader off and will be bringing it into the shop in about 2 weeks. First I'll remove the tin and split the front axle off the engine. Then I should be able to get at anything on the motor.
Vince

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
555 backhoe engine that was run without oil.

Hello,
I have a relative who ran the engine in his 555 without oil and is wondering what to do next. He was looking to sell it before he did this and he is not in a position to lay out a pile of cash anytime soon. (I know, he shouldn't have done it but it’s too late for that!) He ran it at idle for “10-15 minutes” until it started making enough noise to grab his attention and shut it down. It will crank over. But he has not started it since. That being said I would like to know roughly what would need to be done. Best and worst case…I wish I could give more details but that is all I have right now. What should I check to determine the damage done without disassembly? I have seen ads for rebuilt engines approx $4000.U.S. and kits for rebuilding approx $670. U.S. when I did a quick internet search today. The engine was new when he bought it about 1600 hours ago. 5500hrs on machine. The rest of the unit is in good shape and was earning its keep shortly before this happened. I am interested if the total price is right to get it running again. I certainly don’t need any lawn ornaments…..not that there’s anything wrong with them. I prefer iron that I can earn a living with.:)
Thanks in advance.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Digg,
Might be a buying opportunity. I think you can count on the crankshaft having to be reground. There is always the chance that it has heat cracks, or can't be reground anymore. Best to get a price on a used crankshaft and always figure the worst. Might need another used connecting rod, the one that's hammering, or at least figure the cost to have all 4 checked for a true bore. Pistons may not be scored, hard to say, everything else may be alright and just need a check. Others should add to this because I have not torn down many engines with this particular problem. Phil:)

Drywall

Cab door

Guys I need your help. I have purchased a 555C backhoe and the left door is missing. I have looked and call everyone I can think of to find one. The dealer wants $5000.00 just for the frame. (Ya think!) Does anyone know where I might find one (even without glass.

CHADBORDNER

Ford 755a parts backhoe

i am looking to find somwhere to get parts for a ford 755a if anybody knows where there are some not running let me know.

Thanks

i have a 1984 ford 755a parts backhoe minus the engine and a few other parts for sale. If you are still interested, call me and we can talk. Thanks. Chad. (309)224-6707.

BigfootBushy

Occupation
Plant Operator
Ford 550 backhoe ID

G'day all, I have recently acquired a Ford 550 backhoe. If possible I am chasing some help in finding out the year of it, and any info on the machine. The manuals that I bought online from the US seam to have a different numbering system.

Tractor ID Plate
Serial No. Series No. Model No. FPO No. Engine No.
4MD1 B384854 DF211F 420724 D512494

Frame ID Plate
Serial No. Series No. Model No. FPO No.
PMD1 L200174 LO550A 320174

Backhoe ID Plate
Serial No. Series No. Model No.
RMD1 L215018 BH755L

Its an ex city council b/hoe and seems to be in reasonable condition.

Thanks for any assistance.

JKS

1988 Ford 655a

Possibly looking at the purchase of a 655a. The machine is a 4x4 with a 4 in 1 front bucket and an extend-a-hoe on the rear. Hours are around 4200 and it appears to be in good overall condition. I would be using the machine for general farm use and maybe a small job or two on the weekends, nothing too big.

I have searched and I can not find much info (including specs) out there on the Ford 655a. Does anyone have any input (good or bad) on them? What things should I look out for?

Any info appreciated

Justin

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
I purchaced a 1988 ford 655A, about 11/2 years ago with 5000 hrs. it was in rough shape and I could see that. No service manuals, tires were all bad, to much oil in crankcase no brakes would not go up a hill unless it was in low gear, it looked real bad the paint and cab was gross.the extender hoe was disconnected. Well the reason it wouldn't move is the hydraulic filter on the transmission was crushed and the trans oil was down 6 quarts. The extra oil in the crankcase was due to the oil seals in the power steering pump, easy fix.I spent about 30 hrs on it just fixing up a lot of loose and worn parts. Put on a new set of tires, big bucks fronts 400 rears 1200. new floor matt, cut out of truck bed matt. 60.00 few hoses, At $40.00 each. new upolstery, about $50.00 in materials. 2 pieces glass. $100.00. Most of the cyliners were weeping, but after sveral hours of use they all stopped. I have to asssume the machine had set for several months, and the packing were dry. Put the machine to work and it ran super. you could not get it stuck in the mud, and it was a real work horse. Now I waited for the snow to fly, and the first storm dumped 12 " in our lap. So I took it out to plow the 500' drive and after the first pass I smelled burning rubber. opended the door and the engine compartment was on fire. quickly got the fire out, but the nothing worked.. So the machine got parked we headed down South for the rest of the winter. last spring I had to pull it all apart the whole main cable harness had burnt up, under the fuel tank. Well anyway my machine had the full cab option, and ford rather than remove the old wiring fot the non cab machine, they left it hanging down under the fuel tank. The return to dig circuit wireing was in that cable area and the fuse for that was not wired right. After making all these repairs I find out they had many ,many fires. in this area . in fact there was a factory change to change over the large bukhead connector plug wireing on these machines. All in all it is a great machine, the parts are very expensive but easy to find, service manuals are still plentyfull on Ebay $99.00. In the end I decided the 655A was just too much machine for my needs and i went back to a large skid steer, and sold the machine about 6 months ago. 1988 655A are still bringing in about 14 to 16 k for clean machines, with 4x4 and ex hoes good luck, if you have any tech questions I might be able to help you out down the road.

Phil

Occupation
A good read Smokey. I was curious about your floor mat made out of truck box material. I have to make a new mat for my 580sk, so I'm wondering where you bought it and how wide it comes. I take it it's like conveyor belting?

Ford backhoes are not too common around here and no one gets too excited about buying one. Phil:)

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
backhoe floor matt

Yes Phil, I picked up the Matt at PEP boys, it was for a long bed ford .It was plenty wide, Between the pieces of the two old matts removed , a picture of the matt cuts from a parts book and a templete of cardboard, cut with utility knife, and roofing shears. It fit like a glove. I have also used conveyer belt in the past. The conveyer belt is the best to use if you can find the wide stuff. Ford wanted almost $600.00 plus shipping, for the orriginal . A few years back I had a case 480, and the price of that one was over $500.00. I ended up putting a all wheather carpet in that one, but was hard to keep clean.. A backhoe with a nice clean cab, seems to run a lot better than one with pieces of matt floating around on the cab floor. Smokey

Phil

Occupation
Thanks, I'll check the local Parts Source store, we don't have Pep Boys here. I can't imagine what Case wants for a 580SK floor mat, although I could look it up on Coleman Equipment, but I don't think there's any use. Phil:)

No1Hookman

Occupation
Duh.......
Fords are the same as New Hollands.

New Holland bought out the line and just changed the name. They left the machines almost unchanged for several years after the aquisition.

Actually, Ford bought New Holland in the early eighties. Ford then sold their tractor division along with New Holland to Fiat which used the New Holland monicker on the former Ford equipment. For awhile the rigs had both names on them. B series along with the 655A were the last Backhoes to be built at the Romeo tractor plant. All subsequent production was moved offshore.

BTW, I have one of the last 655As to be built and shows less than 600 hours on the clock. Bought it new.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
I'm new here(great site by the way) and this is my first post but i have to say I love FORDs, in my younger days i ran the hell outa them,4500's,555's TLB,never any issues always started and ready to work we had a septic business back then for over 10 years then farmed them after that and they got beat worked hard and keep going.

there one of the most heavily build units with Strong hydraulics,we sold a case 580 because it just looked weak sitting next to the ford and had weaker hyds,the boss didn't like it and sold it.

over the years I've ran others hoes but always had the old days and our fords in mind and would rather run a ford any day,so much so i bought and old '75 4500 in great shape to have around the house for projects,she's a good ol girl strong hydraulics no leaks everything works like it should even the electronics only thing i needed to do was have the injector pump rebuilt and i replaced all the fluids and filters,she's old but digs like hell.

all original paint and sheet metal also, she's retired living a pampered lifestyle now :tong

Picture-5.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm new here(great site by the way) and this is my first post but i have to say I love FORDs, in my younger days i ran the hell outa them,4500's,555's TLB,never any issues always started and ready to work we had a septic business back then for over 10 years then farmed them after that and they got beat worked hard and keep going.

there one of the most heavily build units with Strong hydraulics,we sold a case 580 because it just looked weak sitting next to the ford and had weaker hyds,the boss didn't like it and sold it.

over the years I've ran others hoes but always had the old days and our fords in mind and would rather run a ford any day,so much so i bought and old '75 4500 in great shape to have around the house for projects,she's a good ol girl strong hydraulics no leaks everything works like it should even the electronics only thing i needed to do was have the injector pump rebuilt and i replaced all the fluids and filters,she's old but digs like hell.

all original paint and sheet metal also, she's retired living a pampered lifestyle now :tong

Picture-5.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

I hear ya, I bought a 81' 555 back in november. Love it! A buddy of mine has worked for the local power/gas company for 20 years, swears by the "triple nickel". I know alot of guys locally that still have them that feel the same way. Any of the old ford hoes in Central NY still command good money. I agree on the way they look. Theres not much in that vintage that has the stance of a ford. Welcome to the forum.

Macca

Hi, new to this one. Does any one know about aftermarket engine part options for Ford 655D turbo loaders? Seems they have a unusual ford engine configuration. 4.4" bore 4.2" stroke, 256 CID engine I believe. Thanks Macca

frogfarmer

The engine you describe is a very common ford built engine. Several companies have parts for them here in the states. They also made 3cyl models of the same engine 192cu in I believe. Search for ford tractor engines and you will find parts easily.

Auctioneerhere

I had a 555B if I remember right. It was a fun hoe to run. I liked the fact it was easy to see while using the loader bucket.

Sold it at Auction back in 2009.