• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flange on rollers

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
On a D3G LGP 2005 Cat dozer (BYR01003), I was inspecting the rollers and noticed that there is only one flange on some of the rollers. In some cases the same roller on the other track has both flanges. I assume the flange is worn off. If that is the case, do these rollers need to be replaced?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not the case. Any tractor has a mixture of single-flange and double flange rollers on the track frames to correctly guide the track. Your D3G should have 4 single flange and 2 double flange rollers on each side of the tractor. The double flange rollers will most likely be the front and rear ones.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Inyati13 - All Cats have a factory specified arrangement for roller placement. Most Cats have a mixture of double flange and single flange track rollers.

The double flange rollers improve track chain alignment and location - but they're more expensive, so usually a mixed selection of double and single flange rollers is used.

Some Cat excavators use all single flange track rollers only. All Cat crawler tractors use a mixture of double and single flange.

Some tractor owners will place single flange rollers where a double flange is specified, or vice versa. This is usually carried out as a "stop-gap", "will-fit", or "nothing-else-available", move.

The Cat single and double flange roller specified arrangement is best followed, because Cat have done their research on the best placement of rollers.

It's rare to have a rear double flange roller in front of the sprocket, as the inner flange can come into contact with the sprocket teeth, and cause damage to both. The D3 has to have a single flange roller at the rear.

Here is the scan from the Custom Track Service handbook that shows the correct positioning for rollers, for a wide range of Cat models, up to about 1980.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vru1a8.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I was interested to see Nige's comment (post #2).

Like OzDozer mentions, I always ran single flange on the lead and trail and if possible doubles to keep things nice and straight down the centre.

Cheers.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Oops, my error in the advice above was, I forgot to check the differences between the D3G and the earlier D3's. The D3G uses 6 rollers, not 5 - so the track roller positioning would be - D, S, D, S, D, S.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Here is what I remember from looking at what is there on my D3G, yesterday in the shop. From front to back, S, D, S, S, D, S. Now, one of the flanges was missing on the left side track at the 5th roller back where there is a double flange roller. Does that roller need to be replaced or what?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Are you saying that there's a double flange roller there, that is missing an inner flange? Well, no, it doesn't need to be replaced urgently - but it would warrant inspection as to why the flange has disappeared.
Does it appear as if it's broken away from the roller shell? A couple of pics would be good. A missing flange seems to me to indicate faulty roller shell construction, as it seems unlikely any side impact would rip off the flange.

The track roller layout is unusual, but it could be the recommended Cat sequence. I don't have any really late model Cat undercarriage information.

Nige

Here is what I remember from looking at what is there on my D3G, yesterday in the shop. From front to back, S, D, S, S, D, S. Now, one of the flanges was missing on the left side track at the 5th roller back where there is a double flange roller. Does that roller need to be replaced or what?
In my earlier comment about placement of the double-flange rollers, I didn't have my brain 100% in gear. I should have said "towards" the front and rear.

Your arrangement sounds "standard" apart from the 5th roller on one side which is apparently a single flange roller where there should be a double. Can you see any sign of what might have been an inner flange on this roller..? If not then someone has likely done what OzDozer mentioned and replaced a damaged double flange roller with a single because (delete as appropriate) it was cheaper/"will fit"/DF roller wasn't available. If you want to avoid track snaking at the back of the chain run, especially if the link/rail pins & bushes are a tad worn, then that roller really needs to be replaced with a DF.

Mjrdude1

Our dozers do alot of slope work, sideways on a slope. It puts alot of strain on the flanges as you can imagine.
We have flanges wear off and depending on the roller location, sometimes we keep running the machine and just keep an eye on them.
Part of the problem in replacing new rollers into an old group is the uneven wear and stress induced to the track as the one roller is now supporting more weight (due to being larger in diameter) than the adjacent rollers. Not much of an issue in soft underfoot, but on hard ground it's another story.
Before replacing rollers, we always inspect the entire group for wear, and make a judgement accordingly. On machines that have a floating bogie system rollers are always replaced as needed. On the fixed frame dozers, there is more to be concerned with.
P.S. On the above, the flanges that wear off are the outer flange, odd as it seems, the inner flanges always seem to survive. heh

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
This is getting good. I rechecked today. From front to back it is indeed S, D, S, S, D, S. On the left trackside, the 5th roller back (which is a double flange) has a flange wore off. And as Mjrdudee1 noted, I have been doing a lot of sideways work on steep slopes during the last 1000 hours. If you picture that there are four total flanges on a double flange roller, then the second one in from the outside is missing. I can tell that it was there and has been worn off as you can see it is not even like a single flange roller. On the right trackside, I noticed today that the same flange on the roller that is a mate to the worn one on the left side is about half worn off. I am not familiar with the floating bogie system, does a Cat D3G LGP 2005, BYR01003 have that system?

Nige

Your tractor is too small for suspended bogie undercarriage, so at least you don't have that to worry about.

If the flange is worn off on one roller and partially worn off on another in the #5 position on both sides I would contact your local Cat Dealer and ask them if you can have a Custom Track Service Inspection & report for your tractor. The service is free and if you give the salesman the impression you're planning doing an undercarriage overhaul and that he might well get the business he'll be round your place like a rat up a drainpipe .............!!

Once you have a report detailing the wear percentages of each of the individual undercarriage components post the results here. I think you are going to find that you have worn track links, pins, and/or bushes, a snaking track due to pin/bush wear will take rollers out quick style.

For dozers doing steep side slope work most/all of the time I would seriously consider replacing more of the single flange centre rollers with double flange to take some of the weight off the flanges. Something like S, D, D, D, D, S on a 6-roller track frame like you have. On an 8-roller frame you might go S, D, S, D, D, S, D, S.

Last edited:

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks, Nige. I will contact Whayne. Thanks to all. I will post the findings.

JDOFMEMI

Just be cautious when substituting double flange rollers where singles are called for. On some tractors there are clearance issues with other parts of the undercarriage.

I recall an instance on a D-8K where one roller, I believe it was the third from the back, was originally a single, and got a double in its place. It squeaked a while, then the bearing went out and the inner flange rubbed through the recoil spring until it broke. What a mess!

8k bill

Occupation
Farmer grazier
your right jerry,idid the same thing replaced a single with a double.just as well i hade to replace the trac ajuster seals and found it before it started to cut into the spring housing. and changing out a new roller with old will not last long on hard surface. had one replaced one day, and after two hours you could'nt touch it.

Halfbeard

Inyati13 - All Cats have a factory specified arrangement for roller placement. Most Cats have a mixture of double flange and single flange track rollers.

The double flange rollers improve track chain alignment and location - but they're more expensive, so usually a mixed selection of double and single flange rollers is used.

Some Cat excavators use all single flange track rollers only. All Cat crawler tractors use a mixture of double and single flange.

Some tractor owners will place single flange rollers where a double flange is specified, or vice versa. This is usually carried out as a "stop-gap", "will-fit", or "nothing-else-available", move.

The Cat single and double flange roller specified arrangement is best followed, because Cat have done their research on the best placement of rollers.

It's rare to have a rear double flange roller in front of the sprocket, as the inner flange can come into contact with the sprocket teeth, and cause damage to both. The D3 has to have a single flange roller at the rear.

Here is the scan from the Custom Track Service handbook that shows the correct positioning for rollers, for a wide range of Cat models, up to about 1980.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vru1a8.jpg

Hello, I've only newly come across this forum. I LOVE you guys. Living and working in the heavy machinery industry Middle East makes it very difficult to find such sources of information. THANK YOU!

JEVANS

Hey,

I realized this is an old post, but figured Id add my $0.02 for anyone looking for said information. Just doing some rollers on a 8K today, and sure enough a double flange will not fit in the center position. There are 7 rollers and the one smack in the middle won’t clear the track tensioner cylinder body. I only noticed because the roller wouldn’t go up enough and it locked up solid, couldn’t turn it anymore. This particular machine has single flange on each end and the center, the rest were double flange.

Just out of curiosity, how do y’all change these rollers with no way to raise the machine? Bottle jacks? With a blade and a ripper its easy, but what if you didn’t have that? Say on a pipelayer?

Im lucky, in the yard we have a 594H pipelayer to lift the 583k’s Im working on at the moment, but what if I didn’t have such luxury? Lol.
Im thinking jacks and blocking?

Check Break

Either way you have to block it up. Still not an easy task if (when) you break a bolt off because the guy in there before you didn't use anti-seize. I take it you don't have any rock guards in your way. Takes a bit of effort to get the new roller up when you get the old one out.