• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump truck help

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A few years back when I bought a fire truck & converted it to a dump truck, I got a lesson in hydraulics.
I looked at a number of medium duty trucks with dump bodies. Most I saw were belt driven hydraulic pumps. I'll guess that means live? Those mostly had electric clutches so they weren't using engine power when not in use.

Due to geometry, I wasn't able to fit mine with this sort of pump. I ended up with a cable controlled transmission PTO, I'll guess is not live.

For me the PTO & Pump (married) were about $1300.

56wrench

Regarding the pictures of the belt-driven pump: I refuse to use those ‘top cog’ belts on anything. Years ago doing regular maintenance on a small fleet, i found they were too hard on the pulleys. With the cogs around the outside, you lose a percentage of contact area where it matters most- the sides. Then they will slip easier under heavy load. I got rid of them and went back to conventional V belts and had less problems. And, any belt is only as good as the worst pulley in the system. Just my opinion

BC Placer gold

Regarding the pictures of the belt-driven pump: I refuse to use those ‘top cog’ belts on anything. Years ago doing regular maintenance on a small fleet, i found they were too hard on the pulleys. With the cogs around the outside, you lose a percentage of contact area where it matters most- the sides. Then they will slip easier under heavy load. I got rid of them and went back to conventional V belts and had less problems. And, any belt is only as good as the worst pulley in the system. Just my opinion

Never thought of that, but sure makes sense the way you described it. Will definitely go that route.

Same setup on the air compressor on our Ford cab over, pretty critical component relying on those same cogged belts…they are prone to breakage. Will swap out to regular v belts.

Appreciate the voice of experience, thanks!

oarwhat

I thought is was a big no-no to have the hydraulics live for the dump bed all the time? I was taught to Always disengage the PTO when leaving the site. All too easy for something to inadvertently bump the lever just a little, bed goes up while going down the road, hits an overpass, wires, etc.
We used to use old New York DOT wing trucks to plow a huge mall. One my guy goes by with the dump all the way up. Had to chase him to get it down. The front plow lever was right next to the dump lever. Disconnected all the dump levers after that.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I thought is was a big no-no to have the hydraulics live for the dump bed all the time? I was taught to Always disengage the PTO when leaving the site. All too easy for something to inadvertently bump the lever just a little, bed goes up while going down the road, hits an overpass, wires, etc.
The farm store near home, I was one of the urchins. I did dirty work for the owner cheap, then I didn't hesitate to borrow equipment. It usually involved me doing a major service on the machine in question.
They were an International Harvester dealer. They had a 1960? IH truck with tilt bed & a long hydraulic cylinder under the bed for a sort of winch to load. Through pulley, a 9 foot stroke developed 18' of cable travel.
One Sunday, 30 miles from home, the PTO wasn't a sure thing whether it was in or out, hydraulic valve leaked past a bit. I looked in the mirror to see the underside of the bed. On the bed was a 1936 Dodge pickup. Thank God I hadn't been careless chaining it down!

In the case of more modern trucks I believe an electric clutch on the hydraulic pump disengages it.

cfherrman

We used to use old New York DOT wing trucks to plow a huge mall. One my guy goes by with the dump all the way up. Had to chase him to get it down. The front plow lever was right next to the dump lever. Disconnected all the dump levers after that.

How can you not know? Never look behind you or in mirrors?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I heard a story of Town of Danby hired a new driver years ago when they still had tailgate sanders. Pushed the dump body all the way up & the truck landed on the tailgate, front wheels in the sky.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
There has been a least 5 of those hitting overpasses in B.C. Lower mainland in past 6 weeks, In 1 the driver ran away after hitting an overpass, the RCMP are still looking for him. Latest one , a specialized hauling company hauling a Helicopter hit an Overpass on Highway 1, destroying the rotor head. Driver said he had an over height permit . The East Indian Trucking Association in BC wants the Taxpayer to have courses to teach the driver basically how to read a tape measure WTF ! . The trucking industry in the lower mainland is out of control, they control the Driving Schools, the roads etc. I used to like driving, not anymore, Dump truck drivers are nuts, Courtesy & Respect have gone out the window, rant over

Last edited:

BC Placer gold

There has been a least 5 of those hitting overpasses in B.C. Lower mainland in past 6 weeks, In 1 the driver ran away after hitting an overpass, the RCMP are still looking for him. Latest one , a specialized hauling company hauling a Helicopter hit an Overpass on Highway 1, destroying the rotor head. Driver said he had an over height permit . The East Indian Trucking Association in BC wants the Taxpayer to have courses to teach the driver basically how to read a tape measure WTF ! . The trucking industry in the lower mainland is out of control, they control the Driving Schools, the roads etc. I used to like driving, not anymore, Dump truck drivers are nuts, Courtesy & Respect have gone out the window, rant over

A couple of months ago there was an overpass strike in West Kelowna, the pictures showed a Hitachi 12t with the stick/boom not folded in/lowered properly! (Clearly well above the height of the cab)

PeterP9

Occupation
Moving dirt and washing rocks.
There was one trucking company who was responsible for hitting overpasses 5 times over the pass 2 years I believe, and they finally got there NSC here in BC pulled, anyways they are still operating there trucks here in BC that are registered through there Alberta company. Absolutely ridiculous that these guys are being aloud to drive, let alone commercial vehicles!

Tugger2

The Bc goverment now is setting bigger fines ,wants warning devices on raised dump boxes and every new driver has to take extremely expensive driver training just to enter the industry.The fines are a fart in the wind compared to the damage caused on overhead structures, warning devices soon become ignored by the mind set that never looks in the mirror and the expensive driver training fails to teach the art of reading a measuring tape or even completing the due diligence of checking your load while tying down.

Truck Shop

Good for you BCCAT. Rant the hell out of it, good to see others ranting about bedwetting truck
drivers.:p

skyking1

^ Looking at that picture, the Pearson guys must be doing something right. They have some really ugly looking ship chunks but I have never heard of any drama.

Tugger2

That was us a couple of years ago just shuttling chunks from the work area to the laydown for shearing. Just a spoof on a few of todays truckers that leave the yard with anything no matter how wide or high without checking it.