• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump truck help

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
An new guy rolled into town a couple years ago and knows it all. He is a know it all, I have not drove a dumper for 5 years so I may be out of touch a bit But he was saying that all dump trucks have live PTO's on them for box functions. I said Mixer, Garbage wagons, and snow plow sander trucks there may be a few others. Also any guess as to how much cost is there to a live PTO as to what I drove Clutch pedal engage pump etc.

Thanks Hank

Shimmy1

Well, if it's a closed center pump like most newer ones are, the pumps alone are close to $3000. The term "live PTO" is a bit misleading, should be referred to as "live hydraulics". The pump drives off the front of the crank in most cases. I'd say cost to equip would probably be close to double of a traditional PTO style.

HOWEVER, there are engage on the fly PTOs available. Pretty slick, I'm not sure about the durability.

JaredV

I've never seen a dump truck with live hydraulics. No reason to be pumping oil while driving like a mixer truck. There's the hot shift PTO which would be pretty neat for spreading crushed rock on a mainline without stopping.

Shimmy1

I've never seen a dump truck with live hydraulics. No reason to be pumping oil while driving like a mixer truck. There's the hot shift PTO which would be pretty neat for spreading crushed rock on a mainline without stopping.

Most plow trucks have live hydraulics. Anymore they are closed center, piston pumps. Low pressure standby. Drove a 2500 IH dump for 10 years hauling gravel. Ex-county plow truck. Live hydraulics was awesome for spreading gravel.

BC Placer gold

Most plow trucks have live hydraulics. Anymore they are closed center, piston pumps. Low pressure standby. Drove a 2500 IH dump for 10 years hauling gravel. Ex-county plow truck. Live hydraulics was awesome for spreading gravel.

We recently acquired a 1989 2574 IH dump truck; the hydraulic pump is belt driven off a Cummins L10. It’s an ex-plow/sanding truck. Controls for plows and sander remain in cab but the only function now is for the hoist.

MG84

I thought is was a big no-no to have the hydraulics live for the dump bed all the time? I was taught to Always disengage the PTO when leaving the site. All too easy for something to inadvertently bump the lever just a little, bed goes up while going down the road, hits an overpass, wires, etc.

Shimmy1

Well, I guess dump trucks need warning labels then lol.

I had the lever for the box between the seats. It was basically a hydraulic lever just like any old tractor. I never raised the bed accidentally, never left it up when I should have had it down. Did tear a set of 220 wires down for a guy trying to spread in his front yard, but that was it.

The truck I drove had an L10, had a drive shaft from the crank to the pump. No disengaging that lol.

skyking1

that would be extra handy!
The other really nice thing is when it is bitter cold, if you just engage the PTO and raise the box and give it any throttle on the cold oil, it is not good for the pump.
That setup would warm itself up as you run down the road.

BC Placer gold

I thought is was a big no-no to have the hydraulics live for the dump bed all the time? I was taught to Always disengage the PTO when leaving the site. All too easy for something to inadvertently bump the lever just a little, bed goes up while going down the road, hits an overpass, wires, etc.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the setup, once air pressure is built the lever for the hoist is live. It is a plunger style (must lift plunger to move lever).

Photo of pump:

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24

56wrench

Front mount crank-driven pumps on engines with serpentine fan/accessory belts are ok. The old engines with V belts were a pita on account of always having to change belts more often. On plow trucks for cold weather operations i plumbed in a tube/shell type heat exchanger on top of the hyd tank in the return line to prevent icing in the control valves which were mounted inside the hyd tank. These were old open centre systems so continuously warming the oil cured the icing problems at -10c and colder.

BC Placer gold

Front mount crank-driven pumps on engines with serpentine fan/accessory belts are ok. The old engines with V belts were a pita on account of always having to change belts more often. On plow trucks for cold weather operations i plumbed in a tube/shell type heat exchanger on top of the hyd tank in the return line to prevent icing in the control valves which were mounted inside the hyd tank. These were old open centre systems so continuously warming the oil cured the icing problems at -10c and colder.

Good info, thanks!

Kind of wondered about durability on those V belts….we have a V belt driven air compressor on our Ford CF7000; definitely a weak link, spares kept under seat…

Koja

I have a ex county 5 yrd truck, pump runs off front shaft of the motor, feeds my box hydros, sander/plow ports, & my steering

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yeah live hydraulics---Shop years back in Ellensburg had some construction done.
A real nice skylight light added only took less than a minute.
That happened in our shop. The driver put the box up, left the pto in, and shut the truck off. Next morning started the truck up, and went to open the door. As soon as the air pressure built up.... crunch