• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dresser TD 15c converter stall

Steve136

I’m having problems with my converter stalling when in a heavy load. I was wondering if going to a heavier viscosity hydraulic oil would help? Presently, I’m using a 22 wt Hyd oil. I was thinking about going to a 42 wt oil. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I'm not familiar with the International dozers but there are a couple users here that have extensive knowledge of them, they should be along sooner rather than later.

henry.45

Increasing the hydraulic oil viscosity to 42 wt might help reduce stalling under heavy loads. However, consider the manufacturer's recommendations and potential impacts on the system's overall performance before making any changes. Consult a professional if needed.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
SAE 10w is the oil that most IH machines use in their granny's, TQ. Thicker oil might make it worse. Is the engine doing the correct RPM, could be throttle linkage not allowing full revs. Look for simple things first, RPMs, oil viscosity, filters and suction screen. They will stall out under heavy loads and with sufficient traction. Is it stalling in Lo gear or 2nd, ie the manual Hi Lo lever. Not sure about a 175 TQ, they might have a different stall ratio as in a loader needs more power to the Hyds rather than to the tracks as in a dozer, somebody may know more about that than me. Cheers

Steve136

Rpm is not an issue. I’ll change the filters and cut them open for inspection. I need to look for the suction screens, however my converter is not overheating. I’m pretty sure the transmission pump and suction lines has nothing to do with the converter stalling. My driveshaft stops turning. Thanks for any advice, she’s starting to turn into a hanger queen.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
I've got the full set of books for a 175C that "should" be the same config. If I can remember!!!!! I'll grab them this weekend and look for this.

Steve136

I’ve been studying a 175 book. The transmission pump does supply the Hyd oil to the converter. I suppose if it was weak it would limit the oil to the converter which could create a stall, I think.

tctractors

The engine speed on the TD15C is if fitted with the 466 is around 2'550 rpm, if the converter is done fore the heat would be building up fast and the oil pressure gauge would be off range, the transmission clutch packs wear out as does the sealing of the pistons that work them, the drive shaft spinning and not spinning just prove its going into or out of gear, what you need to check is the engine stall speed at high rpm and if the shaft is rotating without moving by holding the Tractor on the brakes, the torque can be stripped down and repaired as the transmission can, there is 100 plates inside them the TD15B has a few less.