• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Day shift or night shift?

ohfd281

Just sitting here at 5 in the morning nothing much to do and was wondering what everyone on HEF prefered as far as shifts so i'm posting a poll..... Do you prefer Day or Night Shift?? and Why? Well as for me i prefer nights, it seems to me that i can get more done. :)

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Day shift for me. I like to start early and go home early. the headlights on most of our machines don't work or are busted out. thats my reason for not working at night...lol

When I worked shift work I always liked 4 am till 12 noon best, but I am a morning person. Now self employed it's can till can't with the sun.

Red

Whenever I get the odd night shift it makes me feel rotten for the next couple of days. I suppose if I did it for awhile I would get use to it.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Nights blow I don't mind going in early, but I like to sleep with my wife. Get your mind out of gutter.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Night shift 4 LIFE!. Pays a $1 more an hour too. :rolleyes:

jimmyjack

i've only work nights on one job it wasn't bad at all once you get used to sleeping during the day,but the sleeping alone while she works is nice sometimes:beatsme

thejdman04

Day. Im a morning person get up get to work get it done and get home. Usually cooler that way like 4-12, work during the day light etc

Eric

I worked shift work for close to 10 years, Night shift is WAY more productive. Less chiefs more indians. As for me, I hope I never have to work another graveyard in my life. I too like sleeping with MY wife :p. Get to see the little ones more too.

ohfd281

good to see that i'm not all by myself on the nights...;) I've worked nights for six years now and love em. don't think i could go back to days lol :D

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i like nights better because i get home sleep for 8-9 hours, i still have 6 or seven hours in the afternoon to do whatever i want before i go back in. im like a banker or office worker i only work 8 hours a day.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X2 that was the way we did it, but I only really worked 6-8 hrs and slept the rest of the time while getting paid.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
thats why we are on the eights now, we just started 24/7 4 years ago, we did a 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off or something like that, while we were on 12 hrs the bosses gave out quiye a few pink slips for a couple days off without pay for getting caught sleeping.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I didn't mean that I was sleeping while I should of been working there was nothing to do, but we had to stay in case something came up.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I work when there is work. Day or night. If I work nights then I am around the shop most of the day. That is all part of been self employed.

dirtwhore

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
When I used to work on crushers, I loved the night (swing shift). Start at 1and get off at 11. It was always great to walk into the local tavern in what ever town we where crushing in and see the day shift boys still sitting there! We would always buy them a last beer and wish them a happy 4am wake up when they left!! We would get run out at last call, go back to the trialers, sleep till 7 or 8 and get up and go fishing or just f off till we had to go to work. In a sick way i miss working around crushers, just for that reason! AND THATS THE ONLY REASON!!!