• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dam Thieves.

Oil&Dirt

Occupation
Roadbuilding/landclearing
Fuel thieves

Caught one of my employees sucking fuel out of a machine after work one day. guess he figured i had gone home already so was a bit surprised to see me.been having that problem for quite a while already. could have just fired everyone but in a small country like Belize its hard to find a good operator. so just fired one to warn the others. Plus i put padlocks on all fuel tanks. not cat locks though..ha. seems to have fixed the problem for now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Oil&Dirt!:drinkup

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
the company i work for has had these fitted to all their plant, although not fool proof it is a deterrant and also results in low insurance premium
http://www.kosran.com/

Thats what I had fitted on this duck, last duck has over 70 seperate stamps by Thiefbeaters, thats all the glass etched every panel and every solid item like rams, boom dipper, chassis.

If I remember correctly Doosan rubber ducks use a standard key but you have to put in a code before it will start and as long as the key is in place so is the code, take out the key and you need the code to start, by the way it's a 4 digit code. so no chance of winging it.

The Zaxis duck I cross hired earlier this year had exactly the same set up, not sure if they are kosran or thier own but a very good idea.

I stand corrected then.

I thought the same as you, never dreamt some road trucks might be key alike

Turbo21835

Something about the electronic keypads doesnt sit well with me. Seems like it would be too easy to have something break, and even easier to get around.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Something about the electronic keypads doesnt sit well with me. Seems like it would be too easy to have something break, and even easier to get around.

What to hear a funny story?

Well your going to anyways

I was on a job a couple years ago and there was a new bobcat mini excavator with the keypad start. Well having never seen one before i was looking at it, sure enough you could see that there were 3 of the 9 buttons that were dirty... you know what that means don't you??? those are the ones used for the code. punched 3 numbers in and it said something like 4 numbers requires so that meant that one # was used twice. Sure enough after 2 or 3 tries I fired the little digger up. I guess it's a little better than a one key fits all:rolleyes:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I was on a job a couple years ago and there was a new bobcat mini excavator with the keypad start. Well having never seen one before i was looking at it, sure enough you could see that there were 3 of the 9 buttons that were dirty... you know what that means don't you??? those are the ones used for the code. punched 3 numbers in and it said something like 4 numbers requires so that meant that one # was used twice. Sure enough after 2 or 3 tries I fired the little digger up. I guess it's a little better than a one key fits all:rolleyes:

I hear you Chris, but the important thing is that was " A COUPLE YEARS AGO."
The Kosran ECV ( electronic control valve ) I think it stands for, is available with key pad and/or a touch button. If you enter a wrong code 3 times it locks out for a couple of minutes, then each time you are wrong it doubles the time delay, AND the ignition has to be on, so no hidding in the dark for 10 minutes till you get another go.
The Kubota system ( individual keys ) seems to be VERY effective as several mini exc in the UK have had ignition switches, dash ( only very small ) and arm rests ripped out in attemps to HOT wire the machines with no luck. A lot of damage, Yes but the machine is still there in the morning.
For those not aware of the Kubota system, they have a master key that then can copy secondry keys for when the machine goes out on hire/rental.

Komatsu 150

A lot of the mini-excavators we rent have a keypad system. That makes it a pain for the hauler and mechanics, etc. so they just write the code on the back window in numbers about 6 inches high.

d4c24a

A lot of the mini-excavators we rent have a keypad system. That makes it a pain for the hauler and mechanics, etc. so they just write the code on the back window in numbers about 6 inches high.

the keypad number is easily changed ,and alot of uk hire co,s will program a number of your choice in we also have the round metal transponder which will bypass the keypad
as for the clean /dirty keys ,i keep mine wiped clean as would most operators who keep their cab clean
at the end of the day it,s a deterrent not an anti theft device hopefully the thieves will go and find a machine with no devices

MrMechanic

Occupation
Hopeful Future Construction Equipment Mechanic
Doesn't matter what it is, I had having things stolen from me. :(

Regarding security devices, avoid 4 digit keycodes like the plague! If it's not 6 or more digits, it's no good. As far as dirty keypads. All numbers should be dirty. False numbers, should be even dirtier than the right ones. (for the logic "Dirtiest=most used" Meaning they'd focus on the dirtiest numbers)

As far as universal keys, regular automobiles have universal keys. Only 3 different keys are used for 2010 Honda Accords. Only 2 different types of keys are used for 2009 Ford F150s.

And personally, you can rig the ignition system to jeopardize itself if it's not jumped properly. Just google ways on how to do it. It'll create a $1,400-7,000 repair. However, It'll save you from losing that $250,000+ machine. Just change what you did to the ignition system prior to your operators getting in the cab. (And make sure none of your employees see what you did, for added security)

Just my 2 cents.

In my car, I jury rig the transmission and breaks. (I have a way of linking the two) Somone hotwires my car, instant they start going above 35MPH, breaks go out, and the transmission goes out.

Insurance will pay me for my stolen, destroyed vehicle, and the guy responsible feels my pain from having my car stolen. And best of all, it's legal. Because there are no state, or federal laws that say you can't jury rig your own car to do the above. Because it's the owners problem. Even had a Lawyer discuss it with me. But you'd BETTER know what you're doing.

Legal, and a win-win. I just remember to change my changes prior to driving myself. (And NEVER allow anyone else but myself operate my car, unless I say otherwise, and change what I did prior to lending it if eveR)

Mechanics, when they worked on my transmission, the noticed some "wierd stuff" with my transmission, but didn't get what the alterations did. :rolleyes:

Just some thoughts...

OH, and another home-made anti theft system award, goes to my neighbor. If you try and hotwire his truck, there is a 9mm rd placed in a certain spot, where when you break in it to cross the wires, you'll short the box the 9mm rd is in, and said 9mm will shoot into a 5'6'' (average height) mans neck. (where it'd be as if he was leaning over to hotwire it, although, it is seriously extreme because if something goes wrong while driving, he'll get a 9mm in his gut, but hey, if you got a $67,000 truck, you'd take more measures)

Another neighbor, further down the road. He's got a built in tazer in the seat. Embedded into the pleather interior. If you don't know where to look for it, you get a tazer to shoot into your SPINE (literally, it shoots darts) so possible spinal damage on top of probably messing up your nervous system from the immediate shock. He flips a "switch" he made in a certain part of the car prior to getting in the drivers seat each morning. (and everytime he plans on driving his car) when he's not driving it, it's switched to "on" and it works...

Just another idea of an anti-theft device. Your imagination, and creativity, and mechanical ability, are the only limits.

In my neighborhood, people are tired of having things stolen from them.

Last edited:

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Rouge bastards =CROSSHAIRS in a nice shootin gun..

MrMechanic

Occupation
My biggest gripe with people who steal, especially, are instances like this mentioned in the thread. Not only does some jerk steal from someone, but takes away from their lively hood.

The heavy equipment that had items stolen etc. Were for a job, a job that got people money. Whether employee, or employer. The person who stole the items, stole from everyone. Why that wouldn't be enough for an employee to go ape poo on another employee for stealing (if that was the case) is beyond me.

In the long run, employees suffer from the thefts. sometimes even more-so than the Employer. Employer can always pull another loan, refinance, or just close down shop, cut losses and move on. The Employees, get to be left in the dust.

Things that tick me off the most, is when someones entire LIVING rests on a piece of equipment working. Or having that one wrench, or that one hammer, or that one truck to be fully functional. Or that person doesn't get to be paid for the work. He don't get paid, his family suffers.

Any theft in a workplace, in the end, ultimately effects everyone involved in the company. Small or large, it will have an impact.

In my area, when we have construction or anything going on. Even if the residents despise the project being done (taking away property, etc. for it) No one takes it out on the workers, nor their machines. No one dares steal from work sites either. Why? Because they are messing with someones livelyhood by doing so. In a poor town, (relatively) with little budget. Thieves look to suffering personal injury if they were ever caught.

If you go up in the mountain area around my town. There is an old lady whos husband rigged "devices" along the doors/windows. (The ones the old lady never uses, ever. So no consiquence) You'd think it was Jigsaw from the SAW series who set them up. (32oz hammer end up going into your face via opening a certain back window from the outside, etc.)

When I first started reading this thread, all it ever did was tick me off reading through it. The thieves aren't just taking something for personal gain, they are outright attacking another mans life/job. That's not cool at all.

nickbowers

in aus there was a thing a few years ago where they were going around in a truck with a big hiab and picking up skid steers from yards, go to a rental place where they are all along the fence bingo.

MrMechanic

Occupation
in aus there was a thing a few years ago where they were going around in a truck with a big hiab and picking up skid steers from yards, go to a rental place where they are all along the fence bingo.

That's just disgusting....

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
In southern California they had no land line service, here some thieves chopped out some phone line to sell- what is going on here? No fear of God. No prayer in school, no ten commandments on courthouse walls, well what do we expect?

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
In southern California they had no land line service, here some thieves chopped out some phone line to sell- what is going on here? No fear of God. No prayer in school, no ten commandments on courthouse walls, well what do we expect?

the government sucks at raising kids.