• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9G or D9H - What do you recommend?

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
from the few I have been around a 9g/h will burn around 200 gallons of fuel in 8hr's so thats also something to take into consideration :eek:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Like Scrub I'll throw my two cents in.

IMHO you would be wasting your time going for a 9G or 9H. Anything you could find now is going to be 40 years old and pretty well Donald Ducked however well it has been looked after by previous owners. As Scrub says the rippers on the back end of the 9G/H were not Caterpillar's finest effort and hard production ripping will tear the a$$ out of those particular models. That's why back in the day we always hired in a contractor machine if we ever needed a major ripping project undertaken. "Why f**k up your own tractor when you can f**k up a contractor's machine for a very similar cost" was our motto.

My vote would be for an early (as in non-electronic) high drive D8L/N or D9L/N. The high drive has much less in the way of ripper issues than the low drive tractors. Also for the type of work you say you're wanting to do I would have thought that a single-shank fully adjustable parallelogram-type ripper would be more what you need. IMHO you can't get ground penetration with a multi-shank in that type of ground although obviously I haven't seen your ground. In 40 years I can't recall any mining dozer being equipped with a multi-shank ripper apart from coal mining operations.

If you want to know a little more about Certified Rebuilds I suggest to read this thread - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?57973-New-CAT-D6
Despite the thread title this one may also shed some light on rebuilds - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?34295-D5M-Blade-pivot

If you want a copy of the Ripping Handbook drop me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send it to you.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

Going off topic here for sake of conversation but, as I mentioned on a similar thread where one of our members was considering a large dozer for ripping in a quarry, is a dozer the best option in this day and age of excavators?

I continue to be surprised at what can be accomplished with a thirty ton Hitachi and, in fractured blue stone, I reckon he was as productive as a 300 hp dozer with advantage of being able to load trucks.

Such a machine must be equipped with bucket grabber as he needs to swap between single tine and bucket . . . I remember rassling buckets on and off with messy greasy pins. The quick change option is almost universal here but seems less so in the US.

I had a demonstration of just how revolutionary these systems are when I had a young bloke on a little Kobelco take out about twenty trees that were shading our solar panels. He rattled in down the driveway with the tine in the bucket and one by one he ripped every tree so they pushed out clean and not one was broken off, rip tree, drop off tine, attach bucket, push tree, drop bucket, attach tine and rip next tree and so on.

Very impressive and the bucket or tine were always in the right position, smooth as silk and the young feller reckoned he had never run a machine with out quick hitch, I'll post the pictures when I get the other computer up and running, apologies to O/P for going off on a tangent.

Cheers.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
from the few I have been around a 9g/h will burn around 200 gallons of fuel in 8hr's so thats also something to take into consideration :eek:
In heavy ripping I would say you're looking at around 18-20 gallons/hour. For a newer model tractor (e.g. D9L/R) of the similar 400-450HP range as the D9G/H I'd say you would be looking at around 14-16 galls/hr in the same conditions.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

This is an interesting conversation and I'll poke my bib in again for old times sake.

In heavy pulling (timber clearing with chain) the power-shift G's would easily chew through fifteen (imperial) gallons an hour and, I am told, direct drives (what's left of them mostly on root ploughs these days) will even use a little more on that continuous full power application.

Now, ripping is a different thing again. The O/P mentions he needs a three slot ripper.

I dunno. As far as I am concerned the centre slot is there to drop a tine in when you can't pull two. I reckon you will get far better production straddle ripping with two tines rather than pulling a full house.

That's just me though. . . and don't ever think a single tine even on a parallelogram ripper is anywhere near as effective as a proper four barrel single hook.

Now, if you are in country where you can drop the hooks in and drive good luck to you and indeed a G will get through fifteen or sixteen gallons of distillate an hour. . . I mention distillate because I always reckoned they did a little better on black fuel.

HOWEVER. If you are ripping tight but rippable rock you will find the hourly fuel burn is down because a good operator is only using the power when they need it and, lurching over the lumpy stuff, they spend time feeling their way with a foot on the decel.

That was my experience any way from half a lifetime back.

Cheers.

Passionhawk1

IMHO you would be wasting your time going for a 9G or 9H. Anything you could find now is going to be 40 years old and pretty well Donald Ducked however well it has been looked after by previous owners. As Scrub says the rippers on the back end of the 9G/H were not Caterpillar's finest effort and hard production ripping will tear the a$$ out of those particular models. That's why back in the day we always hired in a contractor machine if we ever needed a major ripping project undertaken. "Why f**k up your own tractor when you can f**k up a contractor's machine for a very similar cost" was our motto.

My vote would be for an early (as in non-electronic) high drive D8L/N or D9L/N. The high drive has much less in the way of ripper issues than the low drive tractors. Also for the type of work you say you're wanting to do I would have thought that a single-shank fully adjustable parallelogram-type ripper would be more what you need. IMHO you can't get ground penetration with a multi-shank in that type of ground although obviously I haven't seen your ground. In 40 years I can't recall any mining dozer being equipped with a multi-shank ripper apart from coal mining operations.

If you want to know a little more about Certified Rebuilds I suggest to read this thread - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?57973-New-CAT-D6
Despite the thread title this one may also shed some light on rebuilds - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?34295-D5M-Blade-pivot

If you want a copy of the Ripping Handbook drop me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send it to you.

I greatly respect your opinion, Nige as well as all the others who have shared their thoughts. May I please repeat what needs to be done:

1. I need to rip alluvial which is small rocks, gravel, sand and mud all cemented together. For this, a 3-shank ripper is the most effective and efficient.

2. I need to rip hills comprised of phyllite, quartzite, shale, schist, granodiorite and hard a$$ quartz. For that, a single shank is what I need. Fortunately, with the exception of the quartz, the rest of the country rock on the hills is geologically double-folded and fractured. If it were solid rock or granite, I'd be SOL.

Let me go a step further and discuss #1. I'm sure you gentlemen are familiar with metal detectors. Depending on the brand, they can reach anywhere from 4" down to 15" deep into the ground to detect gold. This ground does have lots of fine "picker" gold that I process through a closed-loop trommel but blessedly, much of the gold is in the form of raw pieces of gold. So the principle is simple. On the alluvial, scrape off 4", triangulate the ground and work the entire scraped surface with metal detectors - something the old timers couldn't do. Take off another 4" and repeat. For this, a 3-shank ripper going down 6-8" in the alluvium is perfect - hence, the need for a 3-shank ripper. Why not just run it all through the trommel? Because several pieces of gold have been found that exceed 10 ounces.

Now, #2. Whole different scenario. Now, we are opening up the hillside and uncovering ore deposits down in the quartz. This stuff occurs n pockets and there is no clue where the next pocket might be. A big mining company would have drilled all the hills and then take them down according to the drill intercepts. It's me, my wife and son. I can't afford the $800-1.2 million investment to drill it out. Accordingly, on goes the single ripper and you take it down 10-15 inches. Now, a similar process. You grade down 4-6 inches. You walk the ground with the metal detector looking for evidence of a pocket. The material scraped off the top goes into the closed-loop wash plant. Rocks are sent to a small primary crusher and taken down to 1-inch size. Then the broken rocks go through a sag mill and finally out onto a shaker table. It sounds far more complicated in writing than it really is in practice.

Hopefully, now you can see why we need both a 3-shank and a single-shank ripper working off a 3-shank ripper bar. Now, back to the subject.

It sounds like a G or an H is not what I need to be finding. First, the issue of the ripper coming detached is a new one on me. Of course my experience is not your experience and that is why I asked for your counsel. I started at age 14 running a gas CAT. Click the magneto, engage the crank, hold the radiator with one hand and jump off the blade onto the crank with your foot and get the ____ out of the way because it liked to kick back like a mule. Later, I ran an old 6 and then a 7 skinning logs off the mountain. They weren't old then but as I look back now - they were old. Pony motor, hand clutch, tiller (which I really liked) frictions off the deck and brakes. A wonderful experience to operate that way. So that is my "limited" experience. Well, out of high school I operated a TD24 which had no business in the woods. After a close call getting a tree fallen across the cage, I turned about, took it back down to the landing, shut 'er down and thus ended my career as a logger! Hah!

So what I've learned is to forget about a G or an H. Look for a D9 of a higher flavor - an L, an N or an R. Same with a D8. Using an excavator? Well, that defeats my purpose of taking it down a few inches at a time. If you're going to mine, I've learned there's two ways to do it. Go after it like Barrick, Newmont, Kinross, Freeport Mac or do it mom and pop. Mom and pop? That's me. One cat, one tracked loader, a backhoe, small wash plant, small mill and onto the shaker table - all done right at the point of extraction so I don't need trucks, drivers, excavator, fuel, rubber and the added capital purchase expense. Heck, the Cat might only work an hour a day - if that. The rest of the time is spent walking the ground with detectors, charging the wash plant and the crusher.

So this dozer is of tremendous importance. It is also the most expensive part of this operation. I don't have $250-400,000 to spend on a dozer and that's why I was looking at the older units. Now, I've had a reality check. I sure don't need a piece of equipment that's perpetually in sick-bay.

So I've never bought used equipment. Our skid steers and loaders were always new. What does a guy do? I can see if the chain is thin or worn uneven. I can look at the sprockets for chipped teeth or thin teeth. I can look for leaks around the finals underneath, the engine and the transmission - and I can see if the stack is blowing black most of the time not burning the fuel. But what about the engine? What about the transmission? What about these units that are covered with rust back east? The chains are rusted, the pins are rusted, the rollers and idlers rusted - how does that affect the viability of a tractor? I also know to look for a loose chain and to see how much the track adjusters are being deployed. Does all that make me an expert? No. Should I hire an expert and let that person do the looking? Probably, but they'd think I was nuts to say, "I need to buy a tractor I'm going to operate but I haven't the intelligence God gave a goose to know what to buy." First of all, the Hobbs means nothing. It may not work or it may be a new meter put in when an engine was changed. How do you know? It's not like the Hobbs in a helicopter which is documented and logged every time there is service. Service records? Duh. Most sellers don't have any. A high-hour machine that was lubed like crazy is better than a low hour machine that was neglected or abused. How do you know? Sorry to vent here but going out looking for a used cat is akin to going down town Reno and putting all my money on red. Who knows? Surely not me and that is why I joined this forum so I can get some sage advice. At least at age 70, if nothing else - I've learned to listen.

Passionhawk1

If you want a copy of the Ripping Handbook drop me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send it to you.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know more and see an instruction manual, Nige but I'm new to the forum and haven't a clue how to send a private message.

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell

StanRUS

I'd love to know more and see an instruction manual, Nige but I'm new to the forum and haven't a clue how to send a private message.

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell[/QUOTE]
Click on Nige name right side side and select PM

Passionhawk1

Yair . . . .

Going off topic here for sake of conversation but, as I mentioned on a similar thread where one of our members was considering a large dozer for ripping in a quarry, is a dozer the best option in this day and age of excavators?

I continue to be surprised at what can be accomplished with a thirty ton Hitachi and, in fractured blue stone, I reckon he was as productive as a 300 hp dozer with advantage of being able to load trucks.

Such a machine must be equipped with bucket grabber as he needs to swap between single tine and bucket . . . I remember rassling buckets on and off with messy greasy pins. The quick change option is almost universal here but seems less so in the US.

I had a demonstration of just how revolutionary these systems are when I had a young bloke on a little Kobelco take out about twenty trees that were shading our solar panels. He rattled in down the driveway with the tine in the bucket and one by one he ripped every tree so they pushed out clean and not one was broken off, rip tree, drop off tine, attach bucket, push tree, drop bucket, attach tine and rip next tree and so on.

Very impressive and the bucket or tine were always in the right position, smooth as silk and the young feller reckoned he had never run a machine with out quick hitch, I'll post the pictures when I get the other computer up and running, apologies to O/P for going off on a tangent.

Cheers.

If I wasn't taking down the surface a few inches at a time, an excavator would be an excellent second choice. As it is, when I encounter heavy quartz, I dig it out with the backhoe because the gold resides within the quartz. You are right - it's amazing what those little excavators can do!

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha Passionhawk1 but I am more confused than ever.

What you describe is a standard "scrape and beep" operation very common in the Australian goldfields.

I just can't get my head around the need for a D9 . . . four inch floors and such a machine are mutually exclusive.

Three tines will do nothing but produce drag marks in the rock or conglomerate.

Now a toothed bucket on a large trackloader or an excavator is a different thing again.

Folks do exactly this style of operation with excavators, rough up four inches or so with a toothed bucket, scrape off flat and neat with the smooth edge, beep it over with the Garret, rinse and repeat.

Cheers.

*PS. I see your #30 post snuck in just as I posted . . . I say again "four inches of cut" and "D9" are mutually exclusive terms.

Last edited:

Passionhawk1

Yair . . .

Now, if you are in country where you can drop the hooks in and drive good luck to you and indeed a G will get through fifteen or sixteen gallons of distillate an hour. . . I mention distillate because I always reckoned they did a little better on black fuel.

HOWEVER. If you are ripping tight but rippable rock you will find the hourly fuel burn is down because a good operator is only using the power when they need it and, lurching over the lumpy stuff, they spend time feeling their way with a foot on the decel.

That was my experience any way from half a lifetime back.

Cheers.

Two Questions - bring me up to speed. Off-road diesel in the US is red and can be purchased for less because it doesn't have the road tax added on. What is "black fuel"? Never heard that terminology.

Second question - my ignorance. The CATS I worked back in the 60's never had a decelerator. How does the decelerator work? I assume it reduces your RPMs so the engine is spooled down. Does it interact with the clutch and transmission? I saw some operating demonstration videos trying to sell equipment and candidly, I was not impressed. The operator was "jamming" back and forth from forward to reverse in such a manner that the CAT lurched each time he changed directions. I may be an old guy but there's no way in heck changing directions while you are still moving in the opposite direction can be good for the tractor.

Oh - any why isn't there an RPM gage on a CAT like there is on all modern-day equipment?

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell

Passionhawk1

Yair . . .

Gotcha Passionhawk1 but I am more confused than ever.

What you describe is a standard "scrape and beep" operation very common in the Australian goldfields.

I just can't get my head around the need for a D9 . . . four inch floors and such a machine are mutually exclusive.

Three tines will do nothing but produce drag marks in the rock or conglomerate.

Now a toothed bucket on a large trackloader or an excavator is a different thing again.

Folks do exactly this style of operation with excavators, rough up four inches or so with a toothed bucket, scrape off flat and neat with the smooth edge, beep it over with the Garret, rinse and repeat.

Cheers.

*PS. I see your #30 post snuck in just as I posted . . . I say again "four inches of cut" and "D9" are mutually exclusive terms.

Good observation. Here's the uneducated idiot again. South of this property down the valley, they are working a D6. The 6 doesn't have enough power to pull the shanks through the material so they really have to over-work the equipment. I imagine that a 7 or surely an 8 would be more conducive to loosening the alluvium. However . . . . . (drum roll-cymbal crash) . . . . unlike that operation, alluvium is just a part of this property. The majority are 9 hills with broken, fractured rock. I said to myself, "Self I sez, if that thar D6 is struggling in alluvium - I'm surely gonna need a D9 up here on these hills." That is the reason I thought a D9 was in order. Yes - no?

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell

Passionhawk1

My vote would be for an early (as in non-electronic) high drive D8L/N or D9L/N. The high drive has much less in the way of ripper issues than the low drive tractors.

So Nige, what exactly is a "non-electronic" machine? Is that one that still has the two "frictions" in the center? I see the newer controls are like a wand in the hand (I said wand). Is the wand style the new electronic machine?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

PassionhawkI No uneducated idiots here mate . . . just two old codgers trying to get their heads around an issue from different sides of the world.

Back in the fifties and early sixties Cats were different because they cranked with a pilot (pony) engine, they had precom chambers and capsule injectors and they ran on "back fuel". All other diesels (apart from the crude oil Bulldogs and such like) ran on dieseline or distillate, same thing different name depending if it was Mobil or Shell.

Just what the black fuel was I have no idea, but it was black, some batches clogged filters some thing shocking and the Cats loved it and ran with a different crackle. It was a little cheaper than the more highly refined distillates but had a higher flash point, when lighting a fire it would light off with a "whump" like dropping a match in petrol (gasoline).

It could gell on frosty mornings and was eventually phased out and we ran them on distillate with (to my mind) an increase in fuel consumption and a drop in performance.

I don't think I ever ran a large crawler without a decelerator. On the Allis's and Cats of the day it was just a foot operated reverse throttle . . . nothing to do with the clutch and transmission. In operation the hand throttle was pulled wide open and the engine speed/tractor speed could be regulated when picking up a scraper, pushing a tree and so on with the foot pedal.

Apparently, on the later gear, full power direction changes are permitted but it wouldn't work for me.

As I say I struggle to envisage your operation . . . the way your post reads it seems a D6 is struggling to rip four inches deep, that can't be so.

Cheers.

Passionhawk1

Yair . . . .

PassionhawkI No uneducated idiots here mate . . . just two old codgers trying to get their heads around an issue from different sides of the world.

Back in the fifties and early sixties Cats were different because they cranked with a pilot (pony) engine, they had precom chambers and capsule injectors and they ran on "back fuel". All other diesels (apart from the crude oil Bulldogs and such like) ran on dieseline or distillate, same thing different name depending if it was Mobil or Shell.

Just what the black fuel was I have no idea, but it was black, some batches clogged filters some thing shocking and the Cats loved it and ran with a different crackle. It was a little cheaper than the more highly refined distillates but had a higher flash point, when lighting a fire it would light off with a "whump" like dropping a match in petrol (gasoline).

It could gell on frosty mornings and was eventually phased out and we ran them on distillate with (to my mind) an increase in fuel consumption and a drop in performance.

I don't think I ever ran a large crawler without a decelerator. On the Allis's and Cats of the day it was just a foot operated reverse throttle . . . nothing to do with the clutch and transmission. In operation the hand throttle was pulled wide open and the engine speed/tractor speed could be regulated when picking up a scraper, pushing a tree and so on with the foot pedal.

Apparently, on the later gear, full power direction changes are permitted but it wouldn't work for me.

As I say I struggle to envisage your operation . . . the way your post reads it seems a D6 is struggling to rip four inches deep, that can't be so.

Cheers.

Well, the alluvium is made of sand, gravel, small rocks, thin shale pieces, a mica schist with gray mud and it's all cemented together. The deeper it goes the harder it gets. They're ripping it with three smaller shanks with two barrels but it's not easy at all.

From these discussions, I've gathered that the D9G and H models were not all that great when it came to ripping. Between fuel usage of approximately 50 gallons every two hours and the danger to the equipment of the ripper pulling apart the axle housing, sounds like I need to re-evaluate the model of CAT we should purchase.

As for the black fuel, it sounds more like bunker oil. They burn that in oil-burning steam locomotives. It is stove oil essentially. Sometimes it burns hot and other times, if they get a low-grade mix, it's all the locomotive can do to climb a hill without making several stops to build up steam pressure. Is that possible? I like your description of how the CAT engines had a different "crack" when they burned that fuel. Sounds like it was capable of making a higher BTU. Perhaps BTU is an inept description. What I mean is that it burned hotter as a fuel.

StanRUS

The last D9H was made 37yrs ago, all the good-deals, i.e. cheap purchase price for maintained G-H dozers are over. The advertised D9G-H dozers on Machinery Trader for example are overpriced, 1 D9G in Nevada with unknown problem (head gasket-cracked head) for $25thou...even that would be a crap shoot because the cylinder block can be worn beyond salvage-repair. When you get into these old dozers sometimes the basic tractor main case is totally out of spec, i.e. worn bevel gear bores, pinion bores, dead axle bores, etc. Cat never offered Certified Rebuild for D9Gs, Certs started with D9H 90V75000. The last D9G Cat Dealer repaired Transmission-Torque Divider circa 1978 price was $37,000.00, they didn't exchange the oil cooler so that turned into a do-it-over again job!
Look for a D8L-9N / D9L-10N with 4 barrel multi-shank ripper, the machines are being scrapped.

Passionhawk1

The last D9H was made 37yrs ago, all the good-deals, i.e. cheap purchase price for maintained G-H dozers are over. The advertised D9G-H dozers on Machinery Trader for example are overpriced, 1 D9G in Nevada with unknown problem (head gasket-cracked head) for $25thou...even that would be a crap shoot because the cylinder block can be worn beyond salvage-repair. When you get into these old dozers sometimes the basic tractor main case is totally out of spec, i.e. worn bevel gear bores, pinion bores, dead axle bores, etc. Cat never offered Certified Rebuild for D9Gs, Certs started with D9H 90V75000. The last D9G Cat Dealer repaired Transmission-Torque Divider circa 1978 price was $37,000.00, they didn't exchange the oil cooler so that turned into a do-it-over again job!
Look for a D8L-9N / D9L-10N with 4 barrel multi-shank ripper, the machines are being scrapped.

Thank you. Lots of good information here. I've really gotten the "message" about the older larger Cats. I saw the one with the cracked head and I thought to myself, "If that's all there is wrong with it - why wasn't it fixed?"

I'm seeing D8Ls and D9Ls in the $60-120,000 range on Machinery Trader. Is there any book that lists the FMV on these used CATS?

Now you mention that the D8L-D9L and even 10's are being scraped. Really? I thought CATS could be refurbished over and over and over? Why do you say they are being "scraped"?

Do you know (or does anyone know) how many average hours an engine, transmission, torque converter, and finals can or should last? When I see ads that say "Only 6000 hours on the engine" - that does not seem like a sweet deal to me but then, I have no idea.

Thank you so much for your comments,
Jim Mitchell

CDUB

I would be dubious of repairs mentioned in their ads without documentation, maybe even then. I think an engine or transmission should be good for 12-15 thousand hours.