• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R dozer undercarriage replacement

Robert0769

A couple of other concerns that probably need a closer look are your track adjusters and the cushions for your bottom roller bogeys.

What I see on that undercarriage is that someone has patched with just enough parts to keep the machine going and then sell it. How many hours are on the clock?
Yeah they definitely pulled one over on me. 14k hours but it can't be trusted, I believe it was changed around 30k hours. I will have to look at both the things you mentioned. Will have to locate them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
On the track adjuster I'm referring to to how much cylinder is showing behind the front idlers. Most refer to that area of the track frame as the cannon and there is a big bushing in there. It gets worn when the undercarriage is that worn out. I begins to move around and then the oil in the track frame starts to leak out. The chrome on the cylinder also might start flaking.

The bogeys carry the bottom rollers. The rubbers are what support the bogeys and over time they crush out. If you look at the bogey you can see a bolt that is on the side opposite of the pivot pin. Check the distance between that bolt and the bottom of the undercarriage.

nicky 68a

Fortunately,the cannons look clean and dry,so hopefully no damage as such.
As John says,it’s been patched up and had some jiggery pokery done in respect of the difference in each side track.
Perhaps a full service with new oils and filters and screens cleaned up will be appropriate.
Approx $1000 would cover all oils and filters and give things a fighting chance

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In my experience turning pins and bushes on the tractor the size of a D8R is a waste of time & money.
The additional Link Group life resulting from the pin and bush turn is outweighed by the cost of doing it.

Your tractor appears to have Cat undercarriage on one side and aftermarket U/C on the other.

My suggestion would be to have the dealer PSSR out to measure the undercarriage on your tractor and produce a report for you.? It's a FREE service and you would do well to take advantage of it. Your photos with a tape measure just don't cut it.

So Cat are quoting you $20k per side. What exactly does that quote include.?
You need to know the asnwer so that you can accurately compare quotes from different potential suppliers.

For a full undercarriage overhaul I would suggest that you need to consider the following items (some of which have already been mentioned by others) in addition to the obvious items such as link groups, shoes, ilders, track rollers, and sprocket segments.........

1. Track tensioner seals and fibre wear rings.
2. Condition of equalizer bar centre and end pins/bushes, & associated hardware.
3. Condition of bogie pins both major and minor.
4. Condition of rubber bogie suspension pads.
5. Condition of steel bogie tip wear protectors - yours are worn out.
Edit: 6. Condition of Pivot Shaft, machine frame bushes for the pivot shaft, and pivot shaft seals

Last edited:

Bluox

If you look at the bushings on the pin pictures you will see a severe track frame mis alinement as the track is running hard to the outside.
Bob

Welder Dave

There's a few hundred bucks of new bolts needed as well. Even on small machines, most undercarriage shops don't turn the pins and bushings anymore. Labour rates are $150/hr. or more.

Nige

If this is the same tractor 7XM00754 that you had problems with previously it originally left the factory equipped with 22"-wide track shoes.
Standard shoe sizes go from 22" to 32".
What width of shoes is it wearing now and have you considered what shoe size you really need to accomplish the work you plan on doing with it.?
Bear in mind that the narrowest shoe that allows you to achieve adequate flotation is what you should be aiming for.

Robert0769

The undercarriage in that photo is not factory original either.
Hey Nige, I'm checking out aftermarket suspension and one asked if it's rigid or bogey.. I said bogey.. another asked if it's systemone or conventional.. do you know this answer? Thank you!

Nige

Hey Nige, I'm checking out aftermarket suspension and one asked if it's rigid or bogey.. I said bogey..
You are correct, it is bogie suspension. I find this question interesting. All D8R tractors (provided that you told him specifically it was a D8R) have bogie suspension, so why would he ask.? He ought to KNOW already.
...another asked if it's systemone or conventional.. do you know this answer? Thank you!
Your tractor is equipped with conventional Heavy Duty undercarriage.

I suggest when dealing with any of the aftermarket suppliers you send them photos of the tractor so that they can see exactly what undercarriage is on it.

Have you asked your dealer to measure the undercarriage as I suggested above.? I will repeat - it's a FREE service, take advantage of it.

Have you considered the 6 items I mentioned in Post #24 above.?
It has already been pointed out by another member that the tracks are misaligned and that has led to accelerated wear.
The cause of that wear is most likely in one or more of those same 6 points, most likely #2 & #6 with possibly a bit of #3 thrown in for good measure.

Robert0769

You are correct, it is bogie suspension. I find this question interesting. All D8R tractors (provided that you told him specifically it was a D8R) have bogie suspension, so why would he ask.? He ought to KNOW already.

I suggest when dealing with any of the aftermarket suppliers you send them photos of the tractor so that they can see exactly what undercarriage is on it.

Have you asked your dealer to measure the undercarriage as I suggested above.? I will repeat - it's a FREE service, take advantage of it.

It has already been pointed out by another member that the tracks are misaligned and that has led to accelerated wear.
The cause of that wear is most likely in one or more of those same 6 points, most likely #2 & #6 with possibly a bit of #3 thrown in for good measure.
I am getting ready to go look now. I'll do my best to locate those parts. Any guidance on where they are would be greatly appreciated! Those are all new parts I haven't gotten to yet. I'm about 80% familiar with everything now. Yes it's the same dozer as the issues in the past! While I'm fixing the tracks I'll also be working on injectors.

Cat sos oil said engine has 40% diesel in it. I was told open the valve cover and turn the engine and watch the fuel lines for spray, otherwise it's probably injectors. That's where I'm at now. I'm hoping it's a line because if I don't see anything I'll need the next step.

Have an opinion on how to look for the fuel leak? Do I open the valve cover and look for leaks? If none, what the ?

Thank you!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Here is a video that explains high drive undercarriage. If you watch it on YouTube when the frame comes up you will see that there are other videos that explain other types.

Robert0769

Here is a video that explains high drive undercarriage. If you watch it on YouTube when the frame comes up you will see that there are other videos that explain other types.

Ok! Front left idler shows a little side wear from misalignment. Front right and two backs don't show any.

Left rollers are a little worn with some damage to inner flanges but are not close to touching the pin master hub.

The video says checking the rubber on the bogey is done by measuring from the bogey to the bottom of the side ram or whatever... In the back there is 1" clearance and as it goes toward the front there's more, up to 1.6" in front so half an inch difference for rubber that's above the rollers between back and front.

No oil coming from anywhere. When I lift the front of the machine with the blade, the tracks do have play and go down like in the video.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_073627898.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073627898.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220131_073931175.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073931175.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220131_073939739.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073939739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220131_074004056.jpg
    IMG_20220131_074004056.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 39

Robert0769

I did notice slight rubber damage on the right pivot shaft. I've asked Cat if I grease these and no one at cat can answer that question. Had a tech out and they couldn't either.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_074047140.jpg
    IMG_20220131_074047140.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220131_074030840.jpg
    IMG_20220131_074030840.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220131_074108342.jpg
    IMG_20220131_074108342.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220131_074100165.jpg
    IMG_20220131_074100165.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Robert0769

And lastly, some pictures of the rollers.. are they single or double flange? It looks like both on either side. Also, one picture of the links showing .75" left in the front and about .4" left on the back of each link.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_073745638.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073745638.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220131_073705627.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073705627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220131_073649102.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073649102.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220131_073639900.jpg
    IMG_20220131_073639900.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

Robert0769

I'm calling the dealer now to ask for track inspection.

Nige

I'm calling the dealer now to ask for track inspection.
Good call. Ask the dealer rep who comes to measure your undercarriage to specifically look at the 6 items above & comment. Most of them are part of the undercarriage inspection anyway. If you give him the impression that they are going to get the business for parts & labour you will almost be able to make him jump up & down like a trained dog.............

I can't be of any help regarding aftermarket suppliers for undercarriage of the size of your D8R because I've never dealt with any of them.
I did notice slight rubber damage on the right pivot shaft. I've asked Cat if I grease these and no one at cat can answer that question. Had a tech out and they couldn't either.
See the attachment. Do you not check the oil level in the pivot shaft supply tank daily as per the maintenance instructions.? Do you even have a manual for the tractor.? They only cost $50 which would probably be the best money as regards bang for your buck that you ever spent on it.

Attachments

• Pivot Shaft.pdf
    431.9 KB · Views: 11

Robert0769

Good call. Ask the dealer rep who comes to measure your undercarriage to specifically look at the 6 items above & comment. Most of them are part of the undercarriage inspection anyway. If you give him the impression that they are going to get the business for parts & labour you will almost be able to make him jump up & down like a trained dog.............

I can't be of any help regarding aftermarket suppliers for undercarriage of the size of your D8R because I've never dealt with any of them.
See the attachment. Do you not check the oil level in the pivot shaft supply tank daily as per the maintenance instructions.? Do you even have a manual for the tractor.? They only cost $50 which would probably be the best money you ever spend on it.
No I didn't know about it. I asked Cat every time they come out to tell me anything I'm missing or not maintaining.. I think their techs need a bit more training. They said they think there's a way to grease it but don't know how.