• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Steve.ahlgren85

My gut instinct is the pump needs a little love. The more random the symptoms the more I look at the pump. The kicker for me is the machine shutting down when throttled back. If'n I were a bettin man I'd say #6 plunger and/or barrel is fubar'd. Even the cam lobe as Mr Miller suggested. Or all 3!

I was up not terribly far from him a few weeks ago when I was doing my best to outfish OIH!

(Can't be done by the way :-D)
What lake did you fish ?We just got back from the boundary waters .We had a great time!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sturgeon lake just outside of town where he lives in Moose Lake. I did a high adventure trip on the boundary waters in scouts years ago. I think we carried those damn canoes as much as we paddled them!

Steve.ahlgren85

Sturgeon lake just outside of town where he lives in Moose Lake. I did a high adventure trip on the boundary waters in scouts years ago. I think we carried those damn canoes as much as we paddled them!
Sure is beautiful up there though!We try to go up there every year. Catch any walleyes??

d9gdon

Those sleeve metering pumps are really sensitive to trash or water in the fuel and there's a constant bleed valve that will give trouble too, but wouldn't make it miss on just one cylinder.

If it's been isolated to #6 though by eliminating compression problems, I'd think it'd be the injector pump problem.

The fuel line going to the injector is not leaking is it? I think I'd take the line off and blow compressed air through it to make sure a piece of trash didn't get in there when it was in pieces.

Steve.ahlgren85

You say it is misfiring on one cylinder, do you know which one? Or are you just just guessing based on the sound?

As Junkyard says timing problem would not cause one cylinder to misfire! You say you swapped #1 and #6 nozzles, why those two? Have you tried cracking open one line at a time on the pump to try to determine which cylinder might be misfiring?
Kshansen,Can anything be gained from a video of the machine running and showing everyone just how it runs and sounds?I can pull the pump and have it serviced, if it needs servicing,or should I have a caterpillar service tech come out and put pressure gauges on and stop wasting time?I very much respect your opinion along with others who have given advice.Thanks so much!!

Steve.ahlgren85

Those sleeve metering pumps are really sensitive to trash or water in the fuel and there's a constant bleed valve that will give trouble too, but wouldn't make it miss on just one cylinder.

If it's been isolated to #6 though by eliminating compression problems, I'd think it'd be the injector pump problem.

The fuel line going to the injector is not leaking is it? I think I'd take the line off and blow compressed air through it to make sure a piece of trash didn't get in there when it was in pieces.
No,there are no leaks in the fuel line. I disconnected the line up top where it goes in the nozzle while running the engine, seems to be a good flow of fuel coming through the fuel line, but I have no way to check fuel pressure on that cylinder as compared to the others that are NOT misfiring..

51kw

My 2 cents, DO NOT take the pump to Ziegler! They don't have anyone that knows how to work on those pumps anymore. The diesel shop in Mankato still does well with them.

Rusted

Oh my.....Where to begin?
Just don't run it any more, it's toast.
Enough blowby there to suffocate an Elephant, hardly any oil pressure, and for some reason your amp gauge is showing what looks to be about a 20amp discharge when it should be throwing a charge, (not that that is a part of the main problem).

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Oh my.....Where to begin?
Just don't run it any more, it's toast.
Enough blowby there to suffocate an Elephant, hardly any oil pressure, and for some reason your amp gauge is showing what looks to be about a 20amp discharge when it should be throwing a charge, (not that that is a part of the main problem).
Have to agree that the fumes coming out of that breather pipe scare me.

Oil pressure, I would want to install a know good oil pressure gauge to see actual pressure.

The 20 amp discharge "could" be someone hooked a gauge up wrong but is not my first thing to check out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I cannot add to the above. Would scare the hell out of me. I see a possible set of broken rings, a dead cylinder, if has new rings the gaps are aligned or they broke them on install, the lack of oil pressure alone that engine would be coming out as there is something seriously wrong where if run much longer will be another pile of scrap iron.

KS, these Pos or Neg ground, I cannot remember? Could be just set up incorrect to the prescribed ground as the starter does not care.

oarwhat

Two things. He might have the amp gauge wires reversed. The blowby looks like steam might be water boiling out. Can't tell with out being there.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Still would explain a dead hole or severe miss plus indicates he is destroying what he just installed by screwing with it ever steadily. Driving it around will not fix this, pulling that engine back out and finding the problem will.