• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Like Kshansen said in his 3rd paragraph..
When you start posting pictures of your progress, we'll start answering specific questions..
All this, what if this, and what if that and how come it did this.. and maybe this is bad or maybe this might be cracked.. come on dude..get into it..
We cant fix it over the internet.. Set the motor on TDC #1, mark the front timing gears and get ta rippin'.. and take pictures..

Steve.ahlgren85

You all have told me what I don't want to hear ,but really need to hear!I have to be totally honest about what I can do with this engine. Right now I have to first remove the torque converter, clean it up, make an engine stand for it,then have someone who can tell me if the engine is repairable or to junk it out. Thank you all for being brutally honest with me.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Way off topic post.

Got to wondering where Darwin was and I see it is not far from Lake Washington and Litchfield. Spent some time at an aunt and uncles camp on that lake a few years back, somewhere around 1961! Also had another aunt and uncle who lived in Litchfield.

As you are what an hours drive from the Twin Cities and even closer to St. Cloud seems like there should be some shops that would work on this engine or at least come out and give you an educated opinion to the viability of repairing it. Have you tried contacting the people **** suggested?

It could be that your time and money is better spent finding another working D6C and if it is of the same vintage use this one for parts.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A friend has a D6B LGP an couple hours north of him near Kettle River that he plans on selling. Last time I seen it a couple years ago it was in decent shape. He seldom used it so I would expect it hasn't changed much. If interested I will PM his phone number. I believe there is a bunch of shared parts between a B and C.

Steve.ahlgren85

Good morning,
Yes,I live 1 mile s. of lake Washington, 8miles from Litchfield, 55 miles w. of mpls.Great place to live. Zeigler caterpillar, is where I plan to take the engine. I think that they will stand behind there work. I don't want to get stuck with another fixer upper. Everything else on the machine works great, I know, I ran it for a while already. New engine, and it should be able to finish my tree ridge clearing.

nicky 68a

Steve,as an owner,I understand your wishfull optimism here.
With the probable exception of the block,your engine is history.
You need to ask yourself a question.Do you want or need the D6?.
If not,then get rid of it.The undercarriage condition will sway your decision one way or another.
If you do need to keep it,you will need to take the overwhelming advice given here and rebuild your engine and torque convertor properly.
You aren't good enough to do that.
I have 14 cat dozers including 10 x D8's in the past and I am not good enough to do a proper engine overhaul.
Get the silver back fitter with a reputation that he doesn't talk about.
Get your hands on about 8 to 12k in dollors and put your own tools back in their box.
I would want my fitter to strip the engine himself. This will tell a tale and help him get to the bottom of the failure.
You can save money by acting as his labourer and doing the clean up to his standard.
Keep your mouth closed most of the time other than to ask him if he takes sugar in his tea.
Running heavy plant is similar to running women.You need a big wallet and prepare for some heart ache after you've ridden them hard.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You can save money by acting as his labourer and doing the clean up to his standard.
Keep your mouth closed most of the time other than to ask him if he takes sugar in his tea.

Sounds like you have been trained good by some guy who's online name starts with TC!:D

Had a guy who worked at the quarry a a couple years after he got fed up running his own shop that worked mainly on big over the road trucks(lorries.)

He had a response hand for the trucker who was shocked at the cost of a repair bill, "Big trucks=Big Bucks" with a few added comments that might get me barred from this forum! And the same holds true for just about all equipment talked about on this forum. If owning a D6C was cheap and easy I'd have one parked out behind the garage to play with myself!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well said Nicky. I wish I had a boss who thought that way and my customers of the past did. I've had a few that thought like you do. It's a tough spot to be in as an equipment owner, especially a machine that isn't out making money. If we could only collect consulting fees for all this excellent advice! Any other industry and we'd get paid by the 1/4 hour or by the word! If I still lived in MN I'd come take care of it for him....

Junkyard

Delmer

Steve mentioned taking this engine to the local Cat dealer, Ziegler. Anybody have any opinions on that course of action?

I'm thinking you might get a better dozer for cheaper than the dealer rebuild.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm afraid having the Cat house do it will result it sticker shock. One reason is they never seem to account for all the piddly stuff they end up needing when they produce a quote. Our dealer is bad about that. Also, I wonder if they have many old hands at that particular location that know the older machines. There's only a couple I know of around here that know the old iron and if they don't like you.....you won't get much of anything done. I'd be looking for an independent that comes with good referrals if it was me. The days of the dealer knowing your model of machine in and out I'm afraid are gone. Too much turnover and other corporate crap IMO. Good independent guys are tough to find but worth their weight in gold when you find one. When I lived in MN if I didn't have time to do a Cat overhaul I would bring it to a guy here in OK. Sounds strange I know but he had 30+ years at Cat before he retired. Started out in the days of the 1693 etc.

Its a tough call, we'd all do it a little different I'd imagine.

Junkyard

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I would also consider an estimate from a machine shop that specializes in engine rebuilding to see if they are competitive with CAT.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Good point, there's a shop here that does a lot of BIG stationary stuff and often will beat Cat handily. Being close to the Great Lakes I would think somebody in maritime work might be competitive and familiar with Cat's of all ages and sizes. Also, there's a place up on the iron range I get parts from on occasion they may have a source for a good used motor to drop in.

Junkyard

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It hasn't been that long, 15 or so years ago we used to say $1,000-$1,200 a hole as a rough estimate. Although I don't think that allowed for scrapped cranks etc. I have a 627B with two good motors....what's the interchange like from it to that D6? They're 3306 if memory serves.