• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 R advice

stevenatkinson

Occupation
Business owner
Hi
We're currently looking for a decent D6R and have the chance of a couple.
One has the 3306 engine other one is an early c9 both are similar hrs and condition am I better off with the 3306 as I hear heui in c9 problematic.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The 3306 is cheaper to fix and more trouble free. I'd take the 3306 over a c9 for a crawler.

tctractors

The early series tractor is the 1 to go for if you need to earn money, check it out well and crawl under the beast and check the E/Beam in all 3 pin locations.
tctractors

tctractors

If you need the list of things to check, you might be the wrong person looking at the beast? but I start at the back of the tractor and walk slowly around looking for dents, kinks, and knackered easy to spot things, then I look again for things that have been modified or not correct, then its into the pilots cabin and check what does and what fails to work in the switch gear etc, then a peep into recorded faults helps some, then its time to open up all the panels to see if it has an engine also the 2 things in the battery box has to be checked with a multi-meter, then its time to check dip sticks and water levels, with things found good its engine start up point, if all things sound correct here then its check pins and ram mounts in nose group,blade also edge hardware+tilt, then its onto the track frames including e/bar, this is all done with the motor spinning so you can press,lift and poke about, then I look at the F/Drives by at least undoing the oil level plugs and checking its contents, sparkles in this spot is not good?? also check for oil stains/weeping from the sun gear pins on the outer case, if things are looking good at this point its now time to check the undercart including segments for welding as an extra to bolts, with all the rollers and links checked and counted incase a link or roller is missing, I shut the engine off and stick a pressure gauge onto the test port on the back case, re-check the water in the rad, then crack up the motor and give it a bit of a birthday on a performance test through 4 stall /cool cycles in all forward gears and 2nd reverse, noting the engine speed drop from high idle to full load, in 1st gear you have to be carefull as the beast should drive through the brakes, then I do a rolling test by driving it forward and dropping it into N to see if it runs on smoothly, the diff steer and brakes are best tested on muck, if the tractor is on a site you can push muck about I drive it like its stolen for about 1/2 hour, finaly before I shut the motor down I walk around and look for things dropping off and oil leaks, after the engine shut down I listen to the beast with the engine panels open, "gurgling" and little "parps" are not good?? the engine should start without any puffing of white stuff, if it passes all these things and the customer buys the tractor, I have done my "Job"
tctractors

stevenatkinson

Occupation
Business owner
Thanks for that Tony would you take a look for me if I crossed your palm with a few notes.
It's located at Harrison machinery at Bedworth near BHam not sure where you live like is it within reason.

stevenatkinson

Occupation
Business owner
Nige
Looks like I have missed the 2001 6R the guy jus text me to let me know.
If I do have to buy a C9 engined one is there any obvious things to look out for when viewing .

stevenatkinson

Occupation
Business owner
We do have a decent set up for workshops but no full time fitter that's between me and my father or we get self employed guys in if were struggling.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We have a load of C-Series here, from C6.6 to C32, the HEUI are generally the smaller ones like C9, so I will address the C-Series HEUI engines in particular.

Best advice I can give for the C9 HEUI is to use good-quality engine oil and reputable brand filters and change the oil & filters using the book recommendations as an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM. The oil and filters don't have to be Cat, I've had good results with both Mobil & Conoco CJ-4 oils and Cat/Donaldson filters. The O&M Manuals for pretty well every C-Series we have on site indicate 500-hour oil changes with only oil samples at 250 hours. My advice to anyone who wants a HEUI to live is ignore that and change oil & filter based on condition as a result of oil analysis reports.

What we find here with C-series is that they go pretty well to 250 hours but probably no more than 20-30 hours after that the oil analysis looks like it fell off a cliff. Change the oil at 230-250 and according to the analysis it comes out like new. One disadvantage we have here is high-sulphur fuel and that may have influenced our oil change policy. Your results may differ.

tctractors

Steven, I live just by J8 of the M5 and J1 of the M50, if you get the need I will mount the Steed, on the D6R (lgp?)series 2 you need to know the history or the fact its just had a new engine 50 hours ago unless you have a few bob, so do your homework and sort the chaff out, to find a good D6R (Lgp? 3306) you might need to try Germany or Holland for a mount worth chasing as most of these tractors in the U.K. have been around the clock twice, 1 blade I can think of only stops when it knackers up, then I have to get it sorted fast to catch up with the muck.
tctractors

Cam85

3306 all the way

What sort of climate are u in mate the c series don't respond to cold weather very well this has more to do with the oil being thick when cold and not making the hyd part of the heiu fuel system work properly but the old 3306 is effong tough it will wear u out b4 u kill it much skin pigmentation prop Delia el and cheap and easy 2 both fix and do unspeakable things to.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What sort of climate are u in mate the c series don't respond to cold weather very well this has more to do with the oil being thick when cold and not making the hyd part of the heiu fuel system work properly but the old 3306 is effong tough it will wear u out b4 u kill it much skin pigmentation prop Delia el and cheap and easy 2 both fix and do unspeakable things to.
In cooler climates use 10W-30 or 5W-20 engine oil and that problem goes away.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Most people here are going with 0w40 in the engine and even in hyd system.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Mine C9 starts aweful in the cold. It is really bad, hammering and clanging and firing on one cylinder. Takes many start cycles to get it to idle. Plugged in for hours and no change. Its really rough. When the weather is warm, no problem.

Could that be fixed with a lighter oil?

Ken

Mobiltech

Occupation
Mine C9 starts aweful in the cold. It is really bad, hammering and clanging and firing on one cylinder. Takes many start cycles to get it to idle. Plugged in for hours and no change. Its really rough. When the weather is warm, no problem.

Could that be fixed with a lighter oil?

Ken
What oil are you using now? If it's 15w40 and below - 18 Celsius it would help to go with lighter oil.
We see a lot of 0w40 used here because you can leave it in most of the summer too.

tctractors

If you change the oil spec, dont forget to change the oil spec plug in key, its in the pilots handbook (Opps Man')
tctractors

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Mobiltech, its 15-40. CaseIH oil. Outside temp anywhere near freezing and it gets hard to start. -18C, forget about it.