• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins N14 engine; good engine, or not???

mitch504

According to the official history of the Cummins engine company, Case designed the B series, and thought it had potential as more than a tractor engine. Case approached Cummins about building them for both companys.

I agree with you about them being as good an engine as was ever built. A customer of mine has one of the first sterlings built, really a Ford with new name plates, even some of the new parts I've ordered from Freightliner for the cab interior have Ford cast into the plastic. It has a B5.9 in it, but I don't remember seeing one in a truck with the Ford oval on it.

Shimmy1

So you're testing me, eh? :wink2 Just kiddin. It's a good thing then Case was smart enough to let an engine builder produce them. The 504BDT was a damn good engine, as long as you kept the coolant up to par. It was just to bulky and heavy for smaller machinery. Plus, about 220 hp was the limit for them to live. As far as Sterlings go, a Ford truck with Freightliner cab guts. The worst of both worlds. Hope I don't tick off you Ford truck guys. And I'm a Ford pickup man.

Last edited:

lantraxco

Ford Louisville was a world of it's own, no tears shed when they went the way of the Dodo bird. The car makers have all tried to build big trucks with very little success. I loved the way the old Dodges looked but they were gone long before Ford and GM gave it up I think.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Off the track just a tad. Have a friend who liked old stuff. Bought a new Dodge,took tailgate to body shop,had it redone in the name"Fargo".

Andrew_D

Yes, there are mechanical N14's in trucks. Neighbour has one in a KW T800.

With all the electronics in trucks and equipment these days it is good practice to clean the battery terminals periodically. With trucks it's pretty easy to remember - just do it at safety time.

Equipment is sometimes a little more hit-n-miss...every service is probably overkill. I find that yearly works out well, but that's because we run everything through our shop in the winter so there's no rush.

Andrew

gwhammy

I've got a 1994 9400 international with the mechanical n14. One of the reasons I bought it to make a dump truck plus it had spring ride. I really like it, starts great but not near as easy on fuel as the m11 I had.