• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting a Mini excavator to electric

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
If you are worried about phase rotation being correct there are devices (circuits) that detect phase rotation and display a green (correct) or red (reverse) phase rotation. We have them on our TV Mobile units. If you want, I can try to find a manufacturer's name or model #.

Rick

MDig

Finally got it done, feeding it with 480V generator, running a 15hp motor, put in a transformer to run a battery charger that charges the 12V system. Machine has more power than it did with the diesel motor.

electric.jpgelectric1.jpg

lantraxco

Beauty!

Ummm.... is there a coin slot for the operator to drop quarters? (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

:cool2

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I have been thinking about doing this also.:thumbsup what RPM motor and what HP electric motor what HP diesel did you replace. what do you think! is it faster an electric motor doesn't drop rpm's like a gas/diesel does it just pulls more amp's until it kicks the breaker so thats probely where it feels like it has more power because it doesn't bog down

jack345

Nice job! Bet is fun to operate only hear the hydraulics operating.Let know if you need a track .

MDig

We put in a 15HP electric motor which runs at 1750 rpm, bought a 4 section hydraulic pump to match the electric motor, it replaced a 17HP diesel engine, you are right the machine does not bog down like a diesel, it has consistent power. To be honest it is little weird running a machine without the noise of a diesel engine

joispoi

That's really cool. Thanks for posting the finished product.

How do you deal with the power cord while you're working?

JGibson

I would be worried that with the power cord if you swing to much or something like that, you tear out the power cord and have an electrical fire or operators injured or worse. Interesting idea definitely and I understand why you didn't do it battery, but still a little scary.

Graham1

Great project. Some video of it working would be interesting. How do you get on with the cable in the upper structure, rather than feeding in below the slew ring?
Graham

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
I'm thinking outside the box a little here.
Fist off I understand... Or certainly hope whoever is in the operators seat is fully aware or it's never far out of his mind that he is operating off an imbelical cord of power.
And this is the first of the finished or experimental working prototype.
Im guessing at 15 hp. That's a 10-4 or 8-4 S.O / S.J cable depending on the cord length.
If you could have a spring cord reel like a air hose or greese hose reel that could provide some forgiveness in the event that you step on your @&?!
After you run this a while you will polish the rough edges out... If there're are any. As it looks prettty well thougt out.
If you could find a reasonable GFCI 3ph. 460/480 breaker installed in an enclosure as say a disconnect this would provide a little more safety and it should be close to the Gen to protect the entire run of the cable. As on the job site a greenhorn rent a helper could plow through on a skid steer or a heavy piece of steel could get dropped on the cable. And I'm not talking about any of your people. It's the clueless rif on jobs I'm speaking of. Hope this was helpful.
And nice job.

Hope I didn't repeat anybody as I didnt read all the posts yet.

Karl Robbers

If you only ever run from your own genset, then a system similar to that used on underground mining equipment could be used where the outer sheath of the cable forms part of a pilot circuit, (24V from memory). Any physical damage to the cable breaks the pilot circuit and cuts power to the cable. Earth leakage protection is also integrated into the system. This obviously only works if your machine and genset are set up for it, precluding running from hard wired power sources.
I reckon this will be a really pleasant machine to operate, keeping your atmosphere much cleaner and cooler.
Certainly need to respect that cable though.

Last edited:

Plebeian

Might be an idea to put a slip ring electrical connection as well as the main upper body electrical connection.
Slip ring would allow a 360 degree rotation, to allow you to load a dirt remover directly behind you working in a confined space.
http://www.moog.com/products/slip-rings/

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . on a busy indoor jobsite the biggest danger to the cable would probably be other folks rather than the excavator/operator its self.

Jobs could be planed around cable routing . . . it's all part of job management.

I must add that I am surprised this concept has created so much interest, it is not as though its new . . . in an old post a few years back I mentioned a mate of mine seeing a small electric excavator pulling up a footpath and setting pipe in Germany.

Same globetrotting mate tells me 20/30 ton class electric excavators are common working on general construction in China.

Full marks though to the OP he followed through and came up with a professional and workable conversion.

Cheers.