• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting a Mini excavator to electric

MDig

New to the forum. Was wondering if anyone out there have any advice to convert a kubota kx41-2 and a kubota kx61-2 to electric. Both these have blown motors so now is the perfect time to convert. I know IHI and CB make a micro excav, but am looking for something bigger for indoor projects. Any advise would be appreciated

Delmer

Battery or "mains" electric? If it's plug in, I'd find an electric motor that's close to the hp if it's the same rpm, or even 1/4 the hp if it's 1800 rpm, of course it will be slower the second way.

Way more complicated to make it work off batteries.

jack345

Are you saying you want convert from diesel to electric? Having a 220/440AC cord feeding it power while working inside? Sounds like it would work, 25hp motor turning main pump you would have to control motor RPM's to maybe 3000 max but I can see no reason it would not work. There is room for motor with diesel & cooling &exhaust removed. Interesting idea keep us informed. Thanks

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .
Way more complicated to make it work off batteries.
Not necessarily so Delmer. I posted here a while back about a small excavator my mate saw in Germany installing pipe under a footpath (sidewalk).

They had its battery charger plugged in with an extension cord constantly topping up the juice.

The bloke had done the conversion himself and apparently had done the same to a small skid.

At the risk of being flamed again I think we are going to see more of this in the years to come.

Cheers.

MDig

The idea is to replace the diesel motor with 3 phase 460V electric motor, run the excavator off a power cord to a generator which is outside the building. I am trying to get my head around how to feed the pilot lines, as there is a small low pressure pump which is geared off the motor which just feed the pilot lines and it is total independant of the main hydraulic pump.

Delmer

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have battery power on some equipment, that's how I use my bucket truck, just doesn't feel right starting the engine when I'm 40' up, especially with the rat's nest of wiring. To me, the hydraulics would be more complicated with battery power because they'd drain the batteries if you just let the pump run, you'd want something on demand, like whatever they use on forklifts, or the "emergency backup" pump that my bucket truck has.

The first step is matching the rpm. I don't know what those kubotas run at, but maybe close enough to 3,600 rpm that you can just find an electric motor around 2/3 to 3/4 the hp of the diesel. Pull the pilot pump and use the gear ratio to figure what rpm to drive it. Either with a belt or a separate motor.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Why not either convert to propane or add an exhaust scrubber to the unit? When I was at a case dealer in pa they converted a 1845c to propane power for indoor work. Since your having to run a generator anyhow for your three phase your still burning diesel to acomplish your goal. Should you scrub or run propane you should be fine and have no power cord.

Also by chance have to contacted kubota? I think they have made some electric models in the past.

MDig

Currently have a number of machines with exhaust scrubbers, but still get complaints about fumes, even if the operators CO detector is not showing any increase. It is people's perception that running a engine inside a building is bad, I am not doing this not to burn diesel or be green. There are certain facilities that we work in that frown on any combustion engine of any type.

I have talked to kubota, they currently have a prototype but it is not near production, they also played around with the idea about 10 to 15 years ago and built a few machines but the project never really went anywhere, the guy I talked to thought it was mainly for press purposes.

BillG

We use to convert skid steer loaders to electric. Used a overhead cord reel with a collector system for mobility. Most of them were used in grain handling and because of the dust, the owners couldn't take a chance using a gas or diesel powered machine. The last one ran until the mill was sold and demolished.

joispoi

For the pilot lines, can you ditch the low pressure pump and splice a new low pressure circuit into the main hydraulics? Or, separate smaller 230v motor for the low pressure pump?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Sounds simple enough. Ive converted electric screens to combustion power. Do your math, run your tape, acquire the parts. This would be a valuable machine to the right guy.
All schools in this area will NOT allow ANY combustion engine to operate inside a enclosed building whatsoever. Off season or not. I personally have run into situations where a electric powered piece of compact heavy would win the bid and have seen business that have built a company with them. If you find your niche run with it.

MDig

I am going forward with this, got a local shop sizing the electric motor in relation to the torque curve, going to run a pulley/belt off the motor to feed an alternator/battery so the 12V system remains functional (safety lock outs, 2 speed, lights etc). Going to try an splice the low pressure pilots line off the main pump and have a new low pressure circuit, thanks joispoi. Will try to keep you guys updated

brianbulldozer

Dreamed about doing the same thing a few years back when we had a number of jobs digging inside buildings for a local aircraft manufacturer. My thought was not to run off a generator but to forklift the machine in and then wire in to the customer's power, as sometimes we could be several hundred feet inside the building. One concern I had was direction of rotation of the motor as a three phase motor can turn either direction depending on how the phases are connected. Reversing the direction is easy by just reversing any two of the three leads, but I don't know how the machine would take to running backwards even if for just a few seconds, and I wouldn't want to find out in the middle of my customer's manufacturing floor. I thought I might have to put in a clutch to be able to spin the motor and verify the direction before engaging. If you are always connected to the same generator this would not be a problem, but if you switch power sources.... The other thing I wondered about was whether I would need to have a variable frequency drive on the motor to be able to control the speed and have a soft start. Without one, it would be full rpm from the second you hit the switch and I am not sure that would be the best thing. I ended up just vacuuming the exhaust at the tailpipe and blowing it outside through accordion ducting and inline fans. A bit cumbersome but never had any issues or complaints. Looking forward to pictures and details of your conversion.

eric12

ive seen battery powered minis before, they were custom made for a demo company and they used the batteries in place of the counterweight and it had an electric motor. seemed to work pretty well

joispoi

Why go with the alternator? You'll be converting electrical energy into mechanical energy and then harnessing it with the alternator to convert it back into 12v electrical energy. Wouldn't it be easier to use a transformer to get your 12v?

langehaas

I have a work lift that was converted to electric (before I got it). The hydraulic pump is powered by a 24v battery, the button controls by a 12v battery. This does not really work (controls get weaker after 15 minutes) so I usually connect a booster charger to the 12v battery when working.
I reckon the controls are happier with 14v (output of an alternator) than with only 12v.

Occupation
web developer
wow, this is a really good project. I wish you the best of luck.
Too bad battery technology is too expensive to use on a mini Ex. I would convert mine in a heartbeat :)

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
At the last Con Expo in Las Vegas, we spoke with the folks from Takeuchi about their battery powered mini ...
they explained the battery was helpful as a counterweight and the machine was so quiet etc etc.
I searched and found a link to the announcement - don't know if they still mfg this item or what became of it ....
For indoor work such as Tenant Improvements this seems like a worthy idea.
Three phase is not on any residential jobs or the light commercial so we would need a single phase charging system, or a generator to put the juice back into the batteries.
A direct hookup would make the power cord a necessity whereas the battery would allow operation on the storage.
The direct hookup is is no different than what we do now with the welding power supplies since our diesel powered welding dynamo is 'verboten' in California.
Here's the link to the announcement from 2011: http://www.takeuchi-us.com/www/blog/viewpost/43