• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Completely new at this :/

BC Placer gold

JBrady makes really good points in regards to safety, personally I wouldn’t even consider any machine without a ROPS.

Clearing trees in particular can be very dangerous work. Bigger is better. Full caging is best, and it takes experience to do safely. Every species reacts differently to being pushed over….

Is your ground hilly or steep? If so tracks will be a lot more stable than tires.

As skyking1 noted, once the main work is completed an excavator will sit most of the time. When our excavators have been at home during the off season they just sit….the skid steer however sees year round use.

BC Placer gold

I think that all trees want to kill you, just some of them are better equipped to do so.

Yep!..

Twice had tops come off large over mature spruce…very brittle wood, not a lot of strength. Both times in a fully caged Hitachi 270. Managed to catch and toss aside falling top once, second time a glancing blow. Need to ‘ease’ into tree very gently to get initial lean….even then trouble happens fast….

crane operator

An old machine like that would probably be a hobby all by itself. There is probably more wrong than right with it. You will easily spend another $5000 in just parts to get her usable.

Take this from a guy who bought a 30 year old machine and has been working on it for 4 years on and off. I have yet to dig a hole with it. Granted I go months without getting time to work on it and I am doing more that patching it together. Not a restoration but not a patch job either, somewhere in the middle.
It wouldn't be a bad idea at all for the original poster to look at your posts about your backhoe.

At least the time and money you've invested, is going to pay off. You bought a lot newer backhoe, with 4x4 and the cat parts support system. Which is money well spent in my opinion. There is a world of difference between what he is looking at buying, and your backhoe.

edgephoto

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all for the original poster to look at your posts about your backhoe.

At least the time and money you've invested, is going to pay off. You bought a lot newer backhoe, with 4x4 and the cat parts support system. Which is money well spent in my opinion. There is a world of difference between what he is looking at buying, and your backhoe.

I would not own a machine without a Cab in my area. ROPS is a must. I decided that my machine was going to live with me for a long time so I took the extra time to make things right and do all the usual maintenance items like hoses and cylinder repacks. When I do start using it I do not want to be fixing problems every time I go to do something. My home project got put off by COVID and some other life twists so there is no urgency to getting her done. Soon I will need to finish what is left.

You mention the CAT parts support. That is huge, I am amazed at how most anything I want is available with the exception of body parts. I am not sure about Case but I personally would not buy a John Deere because I had a bad experience with a piece of their equipment and getting repair parts and the two dealers near me treat people like crap. The CAT dealer is amazing. The counterman dropped parts off to my house which is 35 miles away, all because they did not get the parts the day they promised they would have them.

frankdb

I'd listen to crane operator. Spend the extra money now for a better machine. My father bought an old Case 580c for our cabin in the mountains over the summer and it's hasn't moved since it was delivered to the house.
Thankfully I found this forum. The folks on here are incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help. At this point I'm already in it and enjoy the challenge but Imagine I'll be spending dozens of hours working on this 580.
Hopefully as I learn I can share my knowledge with the next poor sucker that gets himself into the same situation as me.

Catsparky1

If you can swing it and shipping would be a concern but ford made a good hoe . A lot are municipal machines so good care but old and parts are a problem when it breaks and they all break .

Old cats like a 416 for some reason keep ticking and you can get parts . Lots of farmers around here have them but they are long in the tooth .

I learned on an International backhoe but wouldn't entertain the thought of owning one . Old Deere was good solid but I don't know about getting parts .

aighead

I'm pretty much a know-nothing around here but I agree with the others. Rent something or a couple somethings to get your big jobs done. For tree work I'd likely get an excavator and have everything ready to go over. Either cut them as high as possible or push them over. With a decent excavator you can push over a lot of trees in a few hours, with a thumb on there you can also grab them and move them out of the way. As the other guys have said falling trees are no joke and can literally kill you, knock you and your machine around, and destroy things. It's nice to be as far away from falling tree chunks, with a sturdy cab around you.

If you still want a project after that then you could consider a backhoe like you've mentioned, but if stumping I want to warn you that it likely won't have the guts to to pull stumps over a foot or so in diameter. Stumps can be surprisingly stubborn. I've got a New Holland lb75b (or maybe lb85, hard telling) that is a reasonably beefy full size backhoe and and the hole you need to dig to rip out roots is usually pretty big and even then you can pretty easily flip your machine over by wrapping around a big root.

A decent sized excavator will make easy work of any of that, again, if you have good weather and your ducks in a row.

Good luck with your new adventure! I was in a similar boat with new (to me) land and after renting a backhoe to get some immediate projects taken care of I was almost happy to spend about 25k on a mostly contemporary backhoe (no DEF or computer issues on my 2004 model!).

Tubroos

For what it's worth I bought a Case 580C a few years ago for $5000, in the full knowledge that it needed some not insignificant work on the pins and bushings in the swing tower (that's British understatement for you ), a shuttle rebuild, some work on the engine, and it had no working brakes.

I've got a fair amount of use out of it so far, and am (very) slowly working through the list of things that need to be fixed, but it'll take a while and have cost a fair amount by the time it's done. And of course there have been numerous hose replacements and cylinder repacks on top of that. And an unexpected starter failure. And so on.

(Parts are reasonably available for it, at generally reasonable prices, which helps.)

I'd be wary of something significantly older and less common, to be honest... Unless the price was really really good, and you're happy to put a significant amount of cash and time (and sweat) into it.

crane operator

As a "just for example". Here's two backhoes local to me. Ones a ford 555, the other a Jd 310D. The JD has extendahoe.

I think the ford was for sale for $13,900, the JD for $15,000. If you spend another $3-5,000, you can find ones with 4x4 in similar age and shape. This is the kind of stuff you need to be looking for.

JD, Case, Cat, Ford. In no particular order. I'd prefer 4x4 if I was buying.

JD 310.jpgJD 310 3.jpgford backhoe1.jpgford backhoe2.jpg

Shimmy1

A old diesel is easier to repair then a old gas. No point or plugs to worry about no carb to gunk up. Just a old roost master pump that may need a rebuild. And if it does it will only need it once. Not like points plug and carbs!
Exactly what I was thinking too. Those old gassers can have everything new, and still not run.

Project-man

Wow!! Thanks so much for the feedback everyone..... A wealth of information and many things to think about. I contacted a rental company yesterday about renting a machine and I'm thinking that would be a good way to go before I invest in a machine that I will need to service, store and keep operational for as long as I have it.

My main project is to create a berm and swale to redirect very heavy rainfall from entering the basement area of our home. On the side of the home there is a downgraded area leading to a basement garage area. The side yard both grades to a steep down hill and sadly gradually grades towards the basement area. 99 times out of a 100 rainstorms there is capable drainage both down the hill and drains in front of the basement garage door can handle the water. But if it rains for hours and hours and the soil gets saturated the basement drains can't handle the water and we have had 2 basement floods in the last 3 years since we have been in the home.

The original earth material that was excavated to create this "basement garage" set up is available for me to move and redistribute and attempt to create a berm to prevent excessive rainwater from flooding our basement anymore. The soil composition is basically sand and tons of small to medium sedimentary rocks. The soil only good for growing grapes.

I'm thinking of going in 3 directions: 1) hire a guy to do the whole job @ $3500 2) hire a guy to dump 5-6 dump truck loads of clean fill and rent a skid steer to do the finish grading $$?? 3) rent a backhoe or skid steer for a week, relocate the original earth material and redistribute it into a berm and attempt to use the front bucket for grading @ $1000.

So that's where I'm at, it's Feb and the ground is pretty hard so I will be planning to do this in March or April. I'm trying to plan ahead and your feedback and information is very helpful to me. Especially about upping my budget for a decent machine, diesels are great if they are in good running condition, and the safety aspect of tipping over an older machine (the day after I retire) and suffering catastrophic physical damage.

I'm sorry this post is too long but hopefully it describes the project I'd like to complete before too long and I definitely do not want to experience a flooded basement for as long as I live here in the country..... :/

aighead

Backhoe or skid steer rental, for a week, with fuel, will likely run you in the $1.5k+ range. Fill material is likely another grand (but I'm guessing on that one) and the likelihood of not doing it well enough may be costly as well (I speak from experience!). There would be the nice part of having that equipment around to take care of other stuff while you had it, but you'll be angry at yourself if you didn't build the swales properly.

Granted, I don't really know the layout of what you are trying to accomplish but if the $3500 is from a guy that knows what he's doing that doesn't sound like a bad price at all to me. Maybe try to see some examples of his work before committing.

I don't know how much education is available to learn how to create berms or swales out there. It's not terribly difficult but done well isn't as easy as it seems it should be, again, I know from experience. I've done several jobs several times because I didn't really understand what I was doing, luckily I had a backhoe sitting there waiting to do the hard work. You won't have that luxury if you rent.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Welcome to the HEF, Project-man. Good to have you. Thanks for the great introduction.
Most new guys just ask a bunch or questions and then ditch.

We have the skill, we have the tools and we know how to chat. If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at !

The HEF is where topics never end. Giant hoes to emission deletes, theres always a new trend.

Let me to take you on a trip. To a place very unique. Where heavy equipment Autists come together and conversations peak.

Hang out on the HEF, where opinions are the norm. From SkyKing1 to Nige, they’ve got it going on.l!
WOW! That was deep! You could write for a magazine!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
As the former owner of two John Deere backhoes, I'll tell a bit about my woes:
In 1999 I bought a 1974 JD 410. It was low hour, joints tight, no welds on it at all. Factory rear bucket had a crack in the cutting edge. Front bucket had a crude job of adding to the weld on cutting edge. Overall, even the original paint looked good. It had just sold at a farm auction. I was considering buying it from the new buyer. I vaguely knew the farmer who had sold it. I asked him if there was a reason I wouldn't want it. He went on about how good the brakes were.

I tried to drive it home, 10 miles. I ran low on hydraulic/transmission oil. Had to get oil to refill it to get home. Resolving the leak, it ran fine first hour, then didn't have enough power to lift an empty bucket. Loader took 2 minutes to raise to full height.

I went to my nearest John Deere dealer, found they were closed.

John Deere now has one dealer in my state, 65 miles away from me. They offered to send a mechanic, He would not have hydraulic diagnostic tools, only a good mechanic. He MIGHT be able to diagnose the problem. His trip would cost between $1200. and $1500. Most wanted me to try a new hydraulic pump $1400. The pump on it was a different color, I figured someone had already done that.

I made some calls, tried to figure what the problem was. Somebody several states away said I had an oil flow problem. Oil was flowing somewhere it shouldn't. Get an infra red camera, start it up cold. As oil starts to warm, it'll show heat where oil shouldn't flow.
Tried that, found oil was slipping past in two sections of the backhoe valve. New Hampshire Hydraulics confirmed the diagnosis. They believed it was defective when new.

John Deere said the part was No Longer Available.
New Hampshire Hydraulics said they couldn't get the two sections I needed, but a whole different valve could be assembled from parts. It took 6 months for them to provide the valve. It cost $1400. New valve was 1.5" narrower than the old, so joystick controls wouldn't mate up. I fabricated a new joystick mechanism.

20 years later I bought a JD410C from a friend. Backhoe boom wouldn't lift when warm. When it was up, it sagged in seconds to the ground. John Deere Parts & Service offered no help. The port relief valve size of a 1/2" hex socket was unavailable. After weeks of trying every lead possible including the dealer several calls, I asked to speak to the service manager. I posed to him: "So your telling me your best customer had my problem, there is nothing you could do for him?"
No he said, "We can rebuild it."

$48. I had a rebuild kit, after hours spent trying to find this thing. Turns out an identical port relief valve different part number is available, just have to readjust relief pressure.

I have found John Deere is unconcerned about older machines, and their owners.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The best advice I got for removing stumps was to DIG them out. Don't try to pull them. I have dug out some monsters. Backhoes were built for digging.

That said the smaller stumps can sometimes be pulled but don't overwork the machine trying. Also it is easier to get some of them out with the tree attached. Dig around the base of the tree a little and you can often push the tree over and it will pull the stump as it falls.

Pulling on stuff with too much force tears things up and blows hoses.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
This is something you can completely do yourself, skid steer, very easy to run, not as dangerous as backhoe and safer, just keep everyone away from you.
What you described could be done in one weekend, with using the on site fill. Probably call for a 10 wheeler of loam after you’re done and would sub that out to the young guys, or do yourself.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
How is a skid loader safer than a backhoe?